• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke's Injury

Who will replace Michael Clarke in the next test??

• Brad Hodge

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Stuart MacGill

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Clarke will play

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
I reckon Clarke will play, he seemed alright batting with ponting on the last day, and there is a bit of time to recover till the next test. But what about Gillespie? Who will replace him? Kaspr is a bit old and I think the Aussies should go for tait but how does he bowl? You guys probably know more about him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Run like Inzy said:
I reckon Clarke will play, he seemed alright batting with ponting on the last day, and there is a bit of time to recover till the next test. But what about Gillespie? Who will replace him? Kaspr is a bit old and I think the Aussies should go for tait but how does he bowl? You guys probably know more about him.
You've entered the Tait debate late (ouch) - there are two schools of thought. The Aussie supporters are building him up at the next Thommo, but his form in the past in England has been almost non-existent in more ways than one.

Jury's out - and there they will stay until the next Ashes series, I reckon.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hodge used to use Puma, and then they didn't resign him for some reason. That was at the start of last season.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would have thought that since Hodge is in the squad and Hussey isn't, it's pretty much a no-brainer as to who would come in?
I would have thought the same thing regarding Shaun Tait were Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath not able to play in the last Test but all the talk was of Clark getting a go, even though he's outside of the squad.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
I would have thought the same thing regarding Shaun Tait were Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath not able to play in the last Test but all the talk was of Clark getting a go, even though he's outside of the squad.
Can I just say that the whole bringing Clark into the squad logic was so ridiculously flawed that it is almost beyond belief? They talked about wanting another "McGrath type" of bowler - you pretty much already have two there in Gillespie and Kasprowicz, who both try and be as monotonous (sp) as they can be with their line and length, and both have been taken apart (Gillespie for the majority of the time, Kasprowicz at different intervals) during the series, and neither have looked all that threatening.

What on earth was Clark going to do that is so different, a guy whose figures for the year were completely distorted by one innings against a substandard batting line-up ( :-) and it's not SA! ) on a track that they historically hate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
I don't remember any real talk of him playing from the press over here, just that he was adding back-up because of there being 2 out and another freak injury could lead to them having only 2 seamers in the squad.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I don't remember any real talk of him playing from the press over here, just that he was adding back-up because of there being 2 out and another freak injury could lead to them having only 2 seamers in the squad.
Wow. I'd never thought the day would come when Aus media reports were more sensationalised than the English tabloids.

Unless, of course, you (quite fairly) avoided what the English tabloids had to say...