Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow I actually remember this happening!

State Vice-Captain

Wow I actually remember this happening!

Last stand at the G
    Andrew McLean on Melbourne 1987-88

It was a Test that had everything. It was the series when New Zealand revealed the last of its great truly gritty No 3's, Andrew Jones. We lost in Brisbane and Jones was maligned for his technique. His 150 and 64 in Adelaide were an emphatic reply. On to Melbourne where New Zealand batted first and Jones was soon in the action again: "caught" down the leg side by Greg "The Liar" Dyer for 40-odd. John Wright fell for 99. Australia came and went - can't recall what they scored or who got them - and in New Zealand's second dig, Martin Crowe passed 4000 runs in the calendar year, with what media reports of the time called some of the finest batting ever witnessed. However, New Zealand posted only a moderate target which, at tea on the final day, Australia seemingly had under control. That was until Dipak Patel took a brilliant catch at point to dismiss Mike Veletta. Then, the wheels fell off as Richard Hadlee zeroed in on Ian Botham's world record. He was level on 383 Test wickets when Mike Whitney joined Craig McDermott at the crease with just one wicket left. An 11-over spell was too much in the end for Hadlee: he would have to wait until Bangalore the following year to claim the record. Danny Morrison thought though, as did thousands glued to their boxes across the Tasman, that he had McDermott plumb LBW but umpire French disagreed. It was the longest six overs of Whitney's life but an episode that made him a TV star.

Quote Originally Posted by Blakey
    Last stand at the G

It was a Test that had everything. It was the series when New Zealand revealed the last of its great truly gritty No 3's, Andrew Jones. We lost in Brisbane and Jones was maligned for his technique. His 150 and 64 in Adelaide were an emphatic reply. On to Melbourne where New Zealand batted first and Jones was soon in the action again: "caught" down the leg side by Greg "The Liar" Dyer for 40-odd. John Wright fell for 99. Australia came and went - can't recall what they scored or who got them - and in New Zealand's second dig, Martin Crowe passed 4000 runs in the calendar year, with what media reports of the time called some of the finest batting ever witnessed. However, New Zealand posted only a moderate target which, at tea on the final day, Australia seemingly had under control. That was until Dipak Patel took a brilliant catch at point to dismiss Mike Veletta. Then, the wheels fell off as Richard Hadlee zeroed in on Ian Botham's world record. He was level on 383 Test wickets when Mike Whitney joined Craig McDermott at the crease with just one wicket left. An 11-over spell was too much in the end for Hadlee: he would have to wait until Bangalore the following year to claim the record. Danny Morrison thought though, as did thousands glued to their boxes across the Tasman, that he had McDermott plumb LBW but umpire French disagreed. It was the longest six overs of Whitney's life but an episode that made him a TV star.
    I can still see Paddles showing the crowd one finger, he needed one wicket for a record. And Whitney pumping his fist like a boxer at the end.
    Last edited by archie mac; 17-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.
    You know it makes sense.

State Vice-Captain
    seriously how could he claim that catch!

wonder what he is up to now?

International Debutant
    Last stand at the G

It was a Test that had everything. It was the series when New Zealand revealed the last of its great truly gritty No 3's, Andrew Jones. We lost in Brisbane and Jones was maligned for his technique. His 150 and 64 in Adelaide were an emphatic reply.
    Ian Chappell took exception to Jones' hopping around on the crease and virtually playing the ball with both feet in the air...............said words to the effect that if Jones was an international batsman with that technique he'd eat his hat.......................he didn't but he did make an on air apology after he (Jones) reached his ton at Adelaide in the 1st innings.

Also noteworthy that Jones made his debut at aged 28....................and IMO provided Crowe with the breathing space to be able to do his thing with the bat................

and that extra 30 mins in the last Test had a ODI atmosphere & proved that Tests could be every bit as exciting as the shorter game - as again proven by the current Ashes series........

I would think Whitney an even worse bat then McGrath, and Hadlee a finer bowler then Harmison, so this performance of Whitney maybe the better effort.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I would think Whitney an even worse bat then McGrath, and Hadlee a finer bowler then Harmison, so this performance of Whitney maybe the better effort.
    I used to play with Whit and can confirm that he was indeed horrible.

If I had been dismissed by the time he was warming up, I would from time to time bowl to him left handed (I'm right handed naturally) in the nets before he went out to bat. Honours were generally even.

Last stand at the G

How dare you! After years of telling me that was Ian Healy not Greg Dyer, you use my own quote to start a thread. I'm onto you.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anzac
    and that extra 30 mins in the last Test had a ODI atmosphere & proved that Tests could be every bit as exciting as the shorter game - as again proven by the current Ashes series........
    To be fair that's been proven many times - anyone attempting to suggest that either game has something over the other is IMO extremely unwise.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    YOU WOULD THINK that Hadlee was better than Harmison?
    We're talking about a bowler who's probably in the top 2 - certainly the top 3 (I rate him 2nd only to Malcolm Marshall) - in the last 35 years, and you only "would think" that he's better than a bowler who's proven largely useless at the Test level?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    YOU WOULD THINK that Hadlee was better than Harmison?
    We're talking about a bowler who's probably in the top 2 - certainly the top 3 (I rate him 2nd only to Malcolm Marshall) - in the last 35 years, and you only "would think" that he's better than a bowler who's proven largely useless at the Test level?
    You would think that Hadlee was just slightly higher rated than Harmison wouldn't you???!!!

Hadlee completely carried our attack in the 80's. Everyone else was just a useful performer around him. But every team needs a strike bowler...

Hadlee not only carried NZ's attack but, as I say, proved himself IMO the 2nd-best bowler of the modern era, 2nd only to the genius of Malcolm Marshall.

Hadlee not only carried NZ's attack but, as I say, proved himself IMO the 2nd-best bowler of the modern era, 2nd only to the genius of Malcolm Marshall.
    Agreed. I wonder what number Harmison would rate? I think McGrath would be third for me. Then maybe Ambrose. Tough to rank them all though... I think Harmison would be somewhere between 30 and 40 (modern era...)

I think outside the top 100.
    Many bowlers have managed a good period of 7 Test-matches.
    Incidentally - yes, impossible to rank exactly, but my top 10 would go summat like...
    Marshall
    Hadlee
    Ambrose
    Donald
    Garner
    McGrath
    Imran Khan
    Lillee
    Holding
    Pollock
    (Note - seamers only)
    Last edited by Richard; 16-02-2006 at 03:15 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Butterteeth's Avatar
    Deep, deeeeeep fine leg...real deep man...
    Ahhh yes, I remember that series well.

Hadlee was brilliant (and yes, a substantially better bowler than Harmison) - he was bowling too well to get the Whit out - magnificent out swingers and leg cutters. The Whit had no chance of getting close enough for an edge.

And I thought Andrew Jones looked pretty awful too - but he was one of those players who, although not being blessed with a great technique, still managed to score runs through simple application and determination.

Wasn't that also the series where Dean Jones made a bet with Martin Crowe over who would score the most runs? And Deano dudded out?
    Ball Tearer...

Goin' the Larry Dooley with Roy Symonds
    "I was thinking 'should I do this in ones or if he sits one up there should I give it some Larry Dooley?
    I decided that if he slipped one up there I'd give it some Larry Dooley."

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Butterteeth's Avatar
    Deep, deeeeeep fine leg...real deep man...
    I think outside the top 100.
    Many bowlers have managed a good period of 7 Test-matches.
    Incidentally - yes, impossible to rank exactly, but my top 10 would go summat like...
    Marshall
    Hadlee
    Ambrose
    Donald
    Garner
    McGrath
    Imran Khan
    Lillee
    Holding
    Pollock
    (Note - seamers only)
    And on the bowlers, well I wouldn't have Donald that high on my list.
    Marshall, Hadlee, Lillee, Ambrose and McGrath probably my top 5 in no particular order.
    And what about Courtney Walsh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information