• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highest Scorer in Calender year

Anoop

U19 12th Man
wow! what a race...

Dravid - 1078
Vaughan - 1031
Tendulkar - 986

... who'll win??

I think Vaughan has the edge.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
hmm..

Gavaskar made 1555 from 18 Tests at an average of 59.8 in 1979.

This year, Dravid has made 1078 in 17 innings (one NO), in 10 matches @ 67.375.

Sachin has made 986 @ 58 in 10 matches and 17 innings.

Vaughan has 1031 runs in 10 matches, 17 completed innings and two NOs at 60.65.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If Australia had played the same amount of tests..we'd all know who'd be beating everyone.

India & England have played the most test cricket out of any of the nations, Matt Hayden would easily take the cake if Australia had played a similar number.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
IMO Mathew Hayden and Justin Langer are players whose preformane depends soley on their form, they have 'patches' of good form.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit both of these players I'm saying they aren't in the class of players like Lara, Tendulkar...etc.

Rich2001

International Captain
If Australia had played the same amount of tests..we'd all know who'd be beating everyone.
Tim they still have the Ashes... Don't rule it out yet :( :undecided: :rolleyes:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe Tim, but we wont know :)

BTW, Aus played 14 tests last year.
Matt Hayden played 14, had 25 innings, 3 NO, scored 1391 with an average of 63.22.

Langer played 10 tests, 17 innings, 822 runs @ 54.8 average.

All three batsmen have done better this year than Langer did last year. Hayden is right along with them.

India hosts WI soon, and will tour NZ in december. So Dravid and Sachin will have plenty of opportunities to beat Hayden in terms of aggregate runs. Sachin has not had any unbeaten innings, so the average will likely suffer.. unless he makes up for that in India :)

England will have four more tests, and Vaughan has the opportunity to beat Matt Hayden's last year's aggregate (and average) too.

BTW, I pulled out Sunny's mark because that still is the record for the maximum no. of runs in calender year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding aggregates in a calendar year, Viv Richards leads with 1710 runs in 11 tests in 1976 at an average of 90.00. Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11. Third is Hayden with 1391 in 14 in 2001 at 63.22.

Gavaskar did it 4 times, Mark Taylor, Border and Tendulkar thrice(I mean 1000+ runs in a calendar year).

[Edited on 9/9/02 by anilramavarma]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
With India having West Indies and New Zealand to come, Dravid and Tendulkar seem very well set to top it.

What price Dravid hitting 2000?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid has another 922 to go while Tendulkar has 1014 and they have 2 series to reach 2000 in. It's tough, depends on how many tests there are. If they are both 3-test series, it doesn't look viable. Both look like crossing 1500, but 2000...looks too far away right now.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11.
Not true. You're missing out the first test he played that year- against the Windies. it stretched from Dec' 29 1978 to Jan' 3 1979.
By Dec' 31 he had scored 34* and ended up with 182 runs. So the difference counts for 1979. So we have 1555. Check out : http://statserver.cricket.org/link_.../WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T3_29DEC1978-03JAN1979.html

I totally missed Richards' record. dumb! Raju Bharatan wrote about it long back (i think)... thanks for that.

Dravid- 2000 no i dont think so.. I dont think anyone will make that mark short of some 20 tests.. but then you never know!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true. You're missing out the first test he played that year- against the Windies. it stretched from Dec' 29 1978 to Jan' 3 1979.
By Dec' 31 he had scored 34* and ended up with 182 runs. So the difference counts for 1979. So we have 1555. Check out : http://statserver.cricket.org/link_.../WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T3_29DEC1978-03JAN1979.html
Part of his innings was in the previous year and part was in the next. Since it began the previous year, Statsguru in cricinfo.com didn't count it. There was a footnote which said that if that innings is taken into account, his total would be 1555.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
ah well.. what can you tell these statisticians!
Actually it's very strange that they didnt count the runs he'd scored in 1979 for the aggregate in 1979.. Afterall, it's they who chose to have a calender year metric ;)

I guess statsguru got it wrong. BTW, that was a high number of tests (18) for a calender year! Take a look at the number of tests India played in '93, '94 etc. :rolleyes: we were hardly playing any!

Anyway, an aggregate over a 1000, OR average over 60 for a calender year has to be very special for a batsman.

Back to the original debate, I think Sachin will shoot past both Rahul and Vaughan, but then Rahul had a great tour in NZ last time round. Vaughan has to be the surprise package. I wouldn't put it past him to score heavily in Australia... but will still vote for Sachin.
This comparison is fun because all of them have played the same number of innings too.. and may end up with the same no. of innings as Matt Hayden's 25 of last year.

Vaughan may make a difference to England's efforts against Aus.

Andre

International Regular
IMO Mathew Hayden and Justin Langer are players whose preformane depends soley on their form, they have 'patches' of good form.
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit both of these players I'm saying they aren't in the class of players like Lara, Tendulkar...etc.
Lara is the King of form players mate

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden has had a terrific year and a half, but to be considered a really great player, he has to maintain that form or something close for atleast 4-5 seasons. All the greats are considered greats not only because of their ability but also because of their consistency.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Wasn't Lara the one who scored seven centuries in seven matches for Glamoran back in 1995.
Moreover Lara's main problem has been his backlift which he successfully sorted out with Gary Sobers, making the bat come down straighter at the ball instead of slicing the ball which was used to great effect by Australia in the WI tour of Australia, he then smashed 688 runs in the series against Sri Lanka before getting his..... "most serious injury in his career" dislocating his elbow...the point being he had to start all over again...and by the way he is still not 100% fit as in the IND tour in WI his typical trademark high backlift was indeed missing. All the best of Luck to Lara in this upcoming period

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
quote:
Viv Richards leads with 1710 runs in 11 tests in 1976 at an average of 90.00

This guy was superhuman !!
If you think that was a super human effort, check these out:

Gary Sobers(1958): 8 tests, 13 innings, 1299 runs with 6 hundreds at 144.33.

Don Bradman(1948): 8 tests, 13 innings, 1025 runs with 5 hundreds at 113.88.

Gavaskar(1978): 8 tests, 14 innings, 1099 runs with 5 hundreds at 91.58.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Good points, although with Bradman u can give his entire test career statistics, and that will be equally impressive, he is just a few notches higher than anyone else really. The thing about Viv's effort is that it was for 11 tests, and to be consistently that good for 11 tests is quite a lot better than being very good for 8 consecutive tests.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wasn't Lara the one who scored seven centuries in seven matches for Glamoran back in 1995.
Moreover Lara's main problem has been his backlift which he successfully sorted out with Gary Sobers, making the bat come down straighter at the ball instead of slicing the ball which was used to great effect by Australia in the WI tour of Australia, he then smashed 688 runs in the series against Sri Lanka before getting his..... "most serious injury in his career" dislocating his elbow...the point being he had to start all over again...and by the way he is still not 100% fit as in the IND tour in WI his typical trademark high backlift was indeed missing. All the best of Luck to Lara in this upcoming period
Warwickshire. And I think it was 94 (though Marc will correct me otherwise!). And this is the County Championship, hit form and you can murder the lollipop bowlers.