wow! what a race...

Dravid - 1078
    Vaughan - 1031
    Tendulkar - 986

... who'll win??

I think Vaughan has the edge.
    "Life is just a demo... but I still can't afford the full version"

For some fun visit my website - http://www.smilehouse.cjb.net
    * Software * Online Games * Pranks * Wallpapers * Source Code * and lots more :)

U19 Vice-Captain
    hmm..

Gavaskar made 1555 from 18 Tests at an average of 59.8 in 1979.

This year, Dravid has made 1078 in 17 innings (one NO), in 10 matches @ 67.375.

Sachin has made 986 @ 58 in 10 matches and 17 innings.

Vaughan has 1031 runs in 10 matches, 17 completed innings and two NOs at 60.65.
    Cheers:)

Visit http://pub11.ezboard.com/bopinionsunfetteredindianstyle56650

Tim
    If Australia had played the same amount of tests..we'd all know who'd be beating everyone.

India & England have played the most test cricket out of any of the nations, Matt Hayden would easily take the cake if Australia had played a similar number.

IMO Mathew Hayden and Justin Langer are players whose preformane depends soley on their form, they have 'patches' of good form.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit both of these players I'm saying they aren't in the class of players like Lara, Tendulkar...etc.
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    If Australia had played the same amount of tests..we'd all know who'd be beating everyone.
    Tim they still have the Ashes... Don't rule it out yet :undecided: :rolleyes:

U19 Vice-Captain
    Maybe Tim, but we wont know

BTW, Aus played 14 tests last year.
    Matt Hayden played 14, had 25 innings, 3 NO, scored 1391 with an average of 63.22.

Langer played 10 tests, 17 innings, 822 runs @ 54.8 average.

All three batsmen have done better this year than Langer did last year. Hayden is right along with them.

India hosts WI soon, and will tour NZ in december. So Dravid and Sachin will have plenty of opportunities to beat Hayden in terms of aggregate runs. Sachin has not had any unbeaten innings, so the average will likely suffer.. unless he makes up for that in India

England will have four more tests, and Vaughan has the opportunity to beat Matt Hayden's last year's aggregate (and average) too.

BTW, I pulled out Sunny's mark because that still is the record for the maximum no. of runs in calender year.

Regarding aggregates in a calendar year, Viv Richards leads with 1710 runs in 11 tests in 1976 at an average of 90.00. Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11. Third is Hayden with 1391 in 14 in 2001 at 63.22.

Gavaskar did it 4 times, Mark Taylor, Border and Tendulkar thrice(I mean 1000+ runs in a calendar year).

[Edited on 9/9/02 by anilramavarma]
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    With India having West Indies and New Zealand to come, Dravid and Tendulkar seem very well set to top it.

What price Dravid hitting 2000?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Dravid has another 922 to go while Tendulkar has 1014 and they have 2 series to reach 2000 in. It's tough, depends on how many tests there are. If they are both 3-test series, it doesn't look viable. Both look like crossing 1500, but 2000...looks too far away right now.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11.
    Not true. You're missing out the first test he played that year- against the Windies. it stretched from Dec' 29 1978 to Jan' 3 1979.
    By Dec' 31 he had scored 34* and ended up with 182 runs. So the difference counts for 1979. So we have 1555. Check out : http://statserver.cricket.org/link_t...03JAN1979.html

I totally missed Richards' record. dumb! Raju Bharatan wrote about it long back (i think)... thanks for that.

Dravid- 2000 no i dont think so.. I dont think anyone will make that mark short of some 20 tests.. but then you never know!

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Next is Gavaskar with 1407 in 17 in 1979 at 54.11.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true. You're missing out the first test he played that year- against the Windies. it stretched from Dec' 29 1978 to Jan' 3 1979.
    By Dec' 31 he had scored 34* and ended up with 182 runs. So the difference counts for 1979. So we have 1555. Check out : http://statserver.cricket.org/link_t...03JAN1979.html
    Part of his innings was in the previous year and part was in the next. Since it began the previous year, Statsguru in cricinfo.com didn't count it. There was a footnote which said that if that innings is taken into account, his total would be 1555.

U19 Vice-Captain
    ah well.. what can you tell these statisticians!
    Actually it's very strange that they didnt count the runs he'd scored in 1979 for the aggregate in 1979.. Afterall, it's they who chose to have a calender year metric

I guess statsguru got it wrong. BTW, that was a high number of tests (18) for a calender year! Take a look at the number of tests India played in '93, '94 etc. :rolleyes: we were hardly playing any!

Anyway, an aggregate over a 1000, OR average over 60 for a calender year has to be very special for a batsman.

Back to the original debate, I think Sachin will shoot past both Rahul and Vaughan, but then Rahul had a great tour in NZ last time round. Vaughan has to be the surprise package. I wouldn't put it past him to score heavily in Australia... but will still vote for Sachin.
    This comparison is fun because all of them have played the same number of innings too.. and may end up with the same no. of innings as Matt Hayden's 25 of last year.

Vaughan may make a difference to England's efforts against Aus.

State 12th Man
    Viv Richards leads with 1710 runs in 11 tests in 1976 at an average of 90.00
    This guy was superhuman !!

IMO Mathew Hayden and Justin Langer are players whose preformane depends soley on their form, they have 'patches' of good form.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit both of these players I'm saying they aren't in the class of players like Lara, Tendulkar...etc.
    Lara is the King of form players mate

Lara is the King of form players mate
    I know...I know but I'm talking about pure ability, although it waas a mistake to mention Lara, how about S.Waugh for a change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information