• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Highest Scorer in Calender year

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Good points, although with Bradman u can give his entire test career statistics, and that will be equally impressive, he is just a few notches higher than anyone else really. The thing about Viv's effort is that it was for 11 tests, and to be consistently that good for 11 tests is quite a lot better than being very good for 8 consecutive tests.
It is really not a question of 8 tests or 11 tests and I was not degrading Viv's achievement. I just pointed out similar stupendous efforts over a period of one year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think that was a super human effort, check these out:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
I just pointed out similar stupendous efforts over a period of one year.

From ur initial comment I got the impression that u were saying that these achievement were even better than Viv's.
In some ways, yes. You can directly see that their averages were better, in 2 of the cases there is a big difference. As you said, these guys played lesser number of tests, not their fault really, is it. I also didn't pick any 3 guys, I picked the Don, Sobers and Sunny, three of the greatest batsmen of all time as is Viv. At the very least, we can say their efforts were on par with Viv's.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I concur.

I can't ever say which was the greatest achievement out of Sir Don, Viv, Sunil, King Gary - you would have to look at circumstances, opponents and the like, but phew, what players.

In years to come, people might quote the achievements of the three batsmen singled out for this summer (Sachin, Dravid, Vaughan - their greatness will be achieved if and when we start calling them just 'Rahul' and 'Michael') but then when you guys are as old as me you will be able to say "Ah yes, but the bowling left a little in the dressing room" and then hobble away on your zimmer frames, smiling knowingly.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I concur.

I can't ever say which was the greatest achievement out of Sir Don, Viv, Sunil, King Gary - you would have to look at circumstances, opponents and the like, but phew, what players.

In years to come, people might quote the achievements of the three batsmen singled out for this summer (Sachin, Dravid, Vaughan - their greatness will be achieved if and when we start calling them just 'Rahul' and 'Michael') but then when you guys are as old as me you will be able to say "Ah yes, but the bowling left a little in the dressing room" and then hobble away on your zimmer frames, smiling knowingly.
...and then we can say, that wise old man LE prophesised this long ago. :D

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Anil,

So the figures you gave for Sobers and Gavaskar were they the complete aggregate for a year, or were they part of a year?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
quote:
If you think that was a super human effort, check these out:

quote:
I just pointed out similar stupendous efforts over a period of one year.

From ur initial comment I got the impression that u were saying that these achievement were even better than Viv's.
In some ways, yes. You can directly see that their averages were better, in 2 of the cases there is a big difference. As you said, these guys played lesser number of tests, not their fault really, is it. I also didn't pick any 3 guys, I picked the Don, Sobers and Sunny, three of the greatest batsmen of all time as is Viv. At the very least, we can say their efforts were on par with Viv's.
The only reason their averages are higher is because of more not outs - the Master Blaster scored more runs per Test.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
The only reason their averages are higher is because of more not outs - the Master Blaster scored more runs per Test.
Look, you can look at it from a runs scored point of view or an average point of view, either way, these are exceptional performances. You speak as though remaining not out is in some way an inferior performance. In 1958, Sir Gary had a score of 365 not out. How would you rate that?

Runs wise, Viv comes out on top, average wise, the other three are better. We can argue it both ways. Fact is, all these guys are winners.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I never said they weren't great achievments, I merely pointed out that Viv scored more runs per Test than they did for a longer series of matches, so is the better effort.