• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sorry but England can't win the Ashes

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Despite Vaughney proclaiming that England have all the momentum, I can't help but feel that Australia, having been totally outplayed in the last 2 tests, but losing by 2 runs in one then drawing the other totally have the upper hand. Australia will takemiles of momentum out of this match whilst England will do well just to pick themselves up after such a disappointment.

Australia have proved that they only need one good day out of 5 to save a test.

England have been playing out of their skin and have won one test by 2 runs. They can see what an enormous task it is just to win 1 test against Australia even when Australia are playing poorly

England need to win the final 2 tests. There won't be another draw unless weather intervenes.

Australia can't play any worse. I can't see England winning one test let alone 2.

Having said that though, this is a very good England side and clearly second in the world. They will win the ashes in 4 years.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
another that could have gone in the official thread.

Australia need more batsmen to lift of they want to win either of the 2 remaining tests though.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
this guy can be forgiven it was his first post afterall.

I wish I could believe your logic though sqwerty. A lot of it makes sense but I found myself saying the same thing after the second test.

This series has been really dominated by England's batting. Every other facet of both sides have been far below par. Australia's batsman are so out of touch right now it's not funny, Australia's bowlers lack any real heat (besides Warne) and are just getting out done by Englands batsman (oh and the fielding doesn't help) and Englands bowling tbh has been quite poor as well. Sure they've caused Australia's batsman some problems but for the tail to be so successful this summer suggests to me Englands bowlers aren't playing all that great.

the conclusion i've come to is that if all these things remain the same is that England will win the Ashes. If Australia can find some way through their batting, or improve their own batting and follow on from Ponting's momentum then the Ashes will remain in Australia for the umpteenth time.

simmy

International Regular
Pointless thread. Of course England can win the Ashes. If it hadnt have rained it would be 2-1 England cos we are playing better cricket.

Nice to see some Aussies respecting an England side for once, and rightly so.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to CW sqwerty ... don't listen to these old fools. This thread is not pointless at all ... proud to say i couldn't live without it

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
burkey_1988 said:
Welcome to CW sqwerty ... don't listen to these old fools. This thread is not pointless at all ... proud to say i couldn't live without it
Burkey by name, berky by nature.

Incidentally, how's your brother, Binky?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Jeez Eddie, was that totally necessary?
Oh, dear.

Hook, line, sinker, copy of Angling Times and a pint of maggots.

Binky and Berky were a bair of little bink bigs - perhaps it was before your time.

Resha

School Boy/Girl Captain
o_O You say they can't win, and yet all the evidence you present goes totally against that statement. xD To be sure though, I've never seen the Aussies stay down for long, and it's highly likely that they'll plot and and plan diabolically and return to glory in the next Test. ^_^

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of course England can win the ashes even though i do expect more from the likes on Martyn and Gilichrist in the next two matches. England now know they can compete with australia and i wouldnt want too pick a winner

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Resha said:
o_O You say they can't win, and yet all the evidence you present goes totally against that statement. xD To be sure though, I've never seen the Aussies stay down for long, and it's highly likely that they'll plot and and plan diabolically and return to glory in the next Test. ^_^
I agree, the aussies have recieved a kick up the bum without going down in the series. Being an Aussie I can tell you they will play a hell of a lot better in the next two matches,

simmy

International Regular
Pothas said:
Of course England can win the ashes even though i do expect more from the likes on Martyn and Gilichrist in the next two matches. England now know they can compete with australia and i wouldnt want too pick a winner
Well said.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Oh, dear.

Hook, line, sinker, copy of Angling Times and a pint of maggots.

Binky and Berky were a bair of little bink bigs - perhaps it was before your time.
I actually didn't think that he had a brother named Binky... just to clear my name from this horrible accusation.

dinu23

International Debutant
ofcourse Egland have a chance of winning the Ashes if they keep up what they're doing so far. Anyways, making life difficult for the all dominating Australians is an acheivement in itself.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I actually didn't think that he had a brother named Binky... just to clear my name from this horrible accusation.
At least our conversation was less stupid than the actual title of the thread.

8-)