• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vote for the greatest of Wisden's five cricketers of the century

The Greatest of Wisdens cricketers of the century

• Shane Warne

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • Jack Hobbs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vivian Richards

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Garfield Sobers

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Donald Bradman

Votes: 31 55.4%

• Total voters

Langeveldt

Soutie
C_C said:
Saying that Bradman is the greatest cricketer, since he is the greatest batsman, is like saying Ivanisevic is the greatest tennis player, since he is probably the greatest server tennis has ever seen.
But Bradman was so much better in his one trade than anyone else in world cricket ever has been, he can easily be on a par to sobers as a cricketer.. Sobers was neither the best batsman or bowler of all time.. Even though I'd rate him as the second best cricketer to have lived, Warnie third..

C_C

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
But Bradman was so much better in his one trade than anyone else in world cricket ever has been, he can easily be on a par to sobers as a cricketer.. Sobers was neither the best batsman or bowler of all time.. Even though I'd rate him as the second best cricketer to have lived, Warnie third..
Like i said, cricket encompasses a lot of skills, not just batting.
The greatest cricketer is one who has the best overall mastery of cricket and Bradman certainly was not one of them.

Slow Love™

International Captain
C_C said:
Like i said, cricket encompasses a lot of skills, not just batting.
The greatest cricketer is one who has the best overall mastery of cricket and Bradman certainly was not one of them.
Who gets to define the term "greatest cricketer" in this situation, though? You? I'd say for the purposes of this poll, Wisden do, and that's why they've included three batsmen, a bowler and an allrounder in their top five.

Clearly their criteria is influence, excellence, and overall value, whether they are great bats, bowlers, allrounders, whatever - not "who out of these guys has the three major skills of cricket most adequately covered?".

BTW, I voted Bradman, so blow it out your a$$. :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the ALFTA draft says a lot.

Almost every manager selected Bradman ahead of Sobers in the first round.