• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions for England winter tours in IND & PAK

I will assume these will both be 3 test series? I am not sure what order they are in so that could influence my predictions.

However, for now I will go with.

India to win 2-0, Pakistan to win 2-1.

Thoughts?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
i think England have the ability to win in both test series no doubt, but its too early to start predicting expected results i think....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if india play like they are playing right now, england has a very good chance, however if indian batsmen get back in touch and harb and kumble are in good form and the wickets favour spinners, england will find it extremely tough to conquer the conditions, i am of course talking about tests, one dayers are anybody's game.....

as for pakistan, it is very difficult to predict what they will or will not do, they have the ability to blow england away in home conditions or be blown away depending on the attitude of the team that takes the field....

Beleg

International Regular
They get to play Pakistan before christmas.

Could be anybody's series, really.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We should get the ashes finsihed first really but i think England will win both series. Jones and Flintoffs ability too reverse swing will be vital and i think the batsmen will get a lot of runs against india especialy

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
Do you think they will bowl effectively in subcontinent conditions?

Would you use the current attack or make any changes?
yeah i do, with the likes of Flintoff, Harmison & Jones 3 quick bowlers will be very handy with the use of the reverse swing over their along with Gilo who is a proven performer in those conditions. So yeah i think England have an attack that can be very effective in the sub-continent.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Only possible change is Hoggard for a second spinner.

Would definitely back us to defeat Pakistan, but India - especially if the pitches are big turners - wll be difficult. There's no way I'm counting us out but it'll be tough.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree in the india seires it will be the England pace atack is miles better than the indian one and although the indian spinners are obviously better i still think engalnd as a unit will have the edge. I really like India especialy the batsmen but England open pair is stronger because india still havnt found an efective second opener and while dravid and tendulkar are clearly amazing i think england have 6 quality batsmen and will have the edge in what will be a vey tought series.

Neil Pickup said:
Only possible change is Hoggard for a second spinner.QUOTE]
I wonder if they'll stick with Batty. They probably will because there aren't any obvious candidates crying out to be picked.

But I'd like to see them try someone else because Batty hasn't looked threatening. Because no one else is outstanding with the ball I think they'll go with Batty because he can "supposedly" bat and Fletcher wants runs from his spinners.

C_C

International Captain
Pothas said:
I agree in the india seires it will be the England pace atack is miles better than the indian one and although the indian spinners are obviously better i still think engalnd as a unit will have the edge. I really like India especialy the batsmen but England open pair is stronger because india still havnt found an efective second opener and while dravid and tendulkar are clearly amazing i think england have 6 quality batsmen and will have the edge in what will be a vey tought series.

Eh ???
Since when did Flintoff become a quality batsman ?
And Bell ? he is even more unproven than a virgin before her prom night...
I dont think England will even draw the series, simply because England doesnt know how to bat against spin.

C_C said:
Eh ???
I dont think England will even draw the series, simply because England doesnt know how to bat against spin.
:laugh: Good humor to go with accurate insight.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
yeah i do, with the likes of Flintoff, Harmison & Jones 3 quick bowlers will be very handy with the use of the reverse swing over their along with Gilo who is a proven performer in those conditions. So yeah i think England have an attack that can be very effective in the sub-continent.
flintoff, harmison, jones....their pace, bounce and reverse swing will be significantly limited if the indian wickets are the usual slow, low ones, of course if all pitches are like mohali, the situation becomes different, but that's unlikely....and giles was able to tie up the indian batsmen reasonably by bowling a very negative line last time around and thus avoided getting hit and suddenly he becomes a proven performer in indian conditions...??? the day he bowls a normal line, every indian top and middle order batsmen with the possible exception of yuvraj are likely to whale into him....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
flintoff, harmison, jones....their pace, bounce and reverse swing will be significantly limited if the indian wickets are the usual slow, low ones, of course if all pitches are like mohali, the situation becomes different, but that's unlikely....and giles was able to tie up the indian batsmen reasonably by bowling a very negative line last time around and thus avoided getting hit and suddenly he becomes a proven performer in indian conditions...??? the day he bowls a normal line, every indian top and middle order batsmen with the possible exception of yuvraj are likely to whale into him....
when i said he was a proven performer in those conditions i wasn't refering basically to India i was talking about the entire sub-continent in general where Gilo has done very well on those pitches which have assisted him.

Yeah i remember that he bowled negatively AT TIMES in India the last time but he did well, if the pitches are turning i think he would be effective in India for sure, he had shown that in the past so why cant he do it again???.....

Looking at the way the Australians bowled to India last year McGrath & Kasper were getting a lot of reverse swing in Bangalore, Chennai & Nagpur (to an extent) while hardly any in Mumbai & they really troubled the Indian batsmen, also the fact that they bowled at lot straighter. So with the extra pace of Harmy, Freddie & Jones added with the fact that both Jones & Freddie are experts at reverse swing they could really trouble the Indian batsmen.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Eh ???
What you dont think Freddie is a quality batsman????? :blink: , yea i agree that Bell may struggle with the spin. England dont have great players of spin but on past sub-continent tours they battled well & weren't annihilated at all except for only two occassion ie the 1st Test againts India in 2001 & the 3rd test vs SRI 2003 so i would my resurgent Englishmen to make a good account of themselves in India this winter....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Only possible change is Hoggard for a second spinner.

Would definitely back us to defeat Pakistan, but India - especially if the pitches are big turners - wll be difficult. There's no way I'm counting us out but it'll be tough.
i think England should pick a extra batsmen in India & dont pick a second spinner in Keedy, Swann Batty & rely on Harmison, Freddie, Jones & Gilo to do the job. The extra batsman could be either Butcher of Collingwood.