• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions for England winter tours in IND & PAK

Resha

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan are in good form (but will they keep it up? o_O Point.) and India aren't really...I think India needs to really sort out its bowling and make a few changes in the batting line up as well. They really lack consistency, sometimes. England, judging by the Ashes...will do pretty good. But that's assuming they'll all play the same way they're playing now, of course, and that's probably (HOPEFULLY!!) not happen.

Beleg

International Regular
Pakistan would be in a terrible form really, if you can maintain any sort of form after a five month haitus, that is.

Resha

School Boy/Girl Captain
True, that. But who knows? Maybe they're not the sort of team to lose form that quickly...(if 5 months is quick). xD

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beleg said:
It means what it was; a good innings against the best bowling attack in the world.

Are you saying that Aussie bowling attack is as worse as the Pakistani bowling attack? Or that whenever anyone scored around 100 runs in a total of 550 against a world-class team it was worthless?

By the same logic, at least one of Kevin Peiterson's Lord's innings were worthless.

Bringing ODI form into test discussions, are we? In the same vein, I wonder why he has failed to scored in innings where everyone else has not struggled? To say a player 'looks in a class of his own' after a miserly 3 innings is not only premature but blowing a players performance completely out of propotion. (I could have maybe understood it if he had scored three double centuries or something - but making the aforementioned call based on 3 scores around 60???)

Asim Kamal's average against WI is 25, which, if anything has brought down his overall average. As for India's attack: well, playing in India or Pakistan, I'd choose both Kumble and Harbajhan ahead of any of the current English pacers. (bar maybe Jones, if he really does reverse it remotely as close as some english fans are raving)
Ignoring all the bits where you've not read properly, one innings of 87 on a fairly flat pitch just doesn't mean anything on its own as far as judging a player goes. Pietersen has shown with 5 significant contributions against Australia that they aren't just a one-off or a fluke, he has shown he can consistently produce quality innings against the best even on bowler friendly pitches.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
It means what it was; a good innings against the best bowling attack in the world.

Are you saying that Aussie bowling attack is as worse as the Pakistani bowling attack? Or that whenever anyone scored around 100 runs in a total of 550 against a world-class team it was worthless?

By the same logic, at least one of Kevin Peiterson's Lord's innings were worthless.

Bringing ODI form into test discussions, are we? In the same vein, I wonder why he has failed to scored in innings where everyone else has not struggled? To say a player 'looks in a class of his own' after a miserly 3 innings is not only premature but blowing a players performance completely out of propotion. (I could have maybe understood it if he had scored three double centuries or something - but making the aforementioned call based on 3 scores around 60???)

Asim Kamal's average against WI is 25, which, if anything has brought down his overall average. As for India's attack: well, playing in India or Pakistan, I'd choose both Kumble and Harbajhan ahead of any of the current English pacers. (bar maybe Jones, if he really does reverse it remotely as close as some english fans are raving)

Nailed it. I dont understand how people can write off Asim Kamal so easily and at the same time claim that KP is better than him and going to be a superstar. Asim Kamal has shown that he is a quality test batsman, he has scored decent runs against every team he has played. KP hasn't shown yet that he can bat patiently in a test match. Scoring 50 in 60 balls isn't really a test match inning and unfortunately KP has done just that.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Scaly piscine said:
he has shown he can consistently produce quality innings against the best even on bowler friendly pitches.
I am not sure about that yet........hes still a baby in tests, depends how he performs in the next 15 to 20 matches.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
my view is that at this stage of Kamal's & KP's respective test careers Kamal is better but i reckon KP has the ability to become a better batsman than Kamal due to the destructive nature which he bats.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
my view is that at this stage of Kamal's & KP's respective test careers Kamal is better but i reckon KP has the ability to become a better batsman than Kamal due to the destructive nature which he bats.
How on Earth can Kamal be better when KP has a better average and all of his games have been against Australia? It just doesn't make sense, it's not as though KP has been lucky or played on featherbeds, plus he's thrown his wicket away twice in *trying* to play for the good of the team because of the tail coming in to bat.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
How on Earth can Kamal be better when KP has a better average and all of his games have been against Australia? It just doesn't make sense, it's not as though KP has been lucky or played on featherbeds, plus he's thrown his wicket away twice in *trying* to play for the good of the team because of the tail coming in to bat.
I can't actually believe that anyone is even talking in terms of comparing Asim Kamal and Kevin Pietersen under any circumstances. For goodness sake, Kamal has a strike rate to rival Mudassar Nasar - scratch that, to rival Geoff Boycott.

He might well prove useful in shoring up the Pakistani middle order, but he's hardly likely to take a game away from the opposition very often.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I can't actually believe that anyone is even talking in terms of comparing Asim Kamal and Kevin Pietersen under any circumstances. For goodness sake, Kamal has a strike rate to rival Mudassar Nasar - scratch that, to rival Geoff Boycott.

He might well prove useful in shoring up the Pakistani middle order, but he's hardly likely to take a game away from the opposition very often.
The point is, at this stage KP is unproven in Tests (yes, he's had a great start) and it'd be wise to let him play a bit more before judging him. Kamal has played in a team that has not been very successful, has played several innings under pressure holding the team together - at this stage, he has been superior to KP. In the long run, at least in my opinion, KP will be much more successful, but it's way too soon to judge, and too soon to compare him to an established Test batsman.

aussie said:
Exactly.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sanz said:
KP hasn't shown yet that he can bat patiently in a test match. Scoring 50 in 60 balls isn't really a test match inning and unfortunately KP has done just that.
The thing is though, Pietersen will bat patiently for his first 50 or so balls, shore things up, and then counter-attack, a la Lords in the First Test. So as such, I'd be suprised if he ever played what you'd call a "patient Test match innings" if you look at the end result, but if you look at different aspects of the innings that he plays, then you'll see that there is a fair bit of patience mixed into his play - from what I've seen anyways.

I'd agree with what aussie said, though. Kamal has the runs on the board, and seems really impressive.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Right now, I would take Kamal over Pieterson. But there is no doubt that KP has a lot of potential and can surpass Kamal in due course if he can maintain his form and fitness.

cricket player

International Debutant
Let me ask you English fans a question,

does KP knows how to take catches?

Teach him how to catch first then compare him to a class batsman such as Asim Kamal.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
Let me ask you English fans a question,

does KP knows how to take catches?

Teach him how to catch first then compare him to a class batsman such as Asim Kamal.
:laugh: , but wait are you saying KP isn't class :-O

tooextracool

International Coach
EnglishRose said:
Of course rather conveniently forgetting Australia went to India in 2001 with Mcgrath, Gillespie, Fleming (a far superior bowler to Hoggard) and Kasper ( a better attack than what England have) and lost 2-1.
actually bar kaspa, none of those bowlers were capable of reverse swing, and even kaspa wasnt and still isnt an absolute master of it and certainly lacked the pace. believe it or not if jones and flintoff bowl with the pace and the reverse they've got in the ashes, i find it hard to believe that any side wont struggle significantly against them.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:

cant see what SR has to do with anything. i dont see the point of comparing kamal and pietersen either, given that both are at the infancy of their test match careers, but as of now, kamal is a far more proven player than KP is. KP has only played 3 tests, and its certainly not hard to believe that he may be worked out before even this series is over. but as big a kamal fan as i am, i will say that KP has far more potential, because hes temperamentally the best player ive seen since steve waugh. the only problem ive seen with kamal so far, is that hes had plenty of chances to get a test match century, and has blown it on every occasion.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
actually bar kaspa, none of those bowlers were capable of reverse swing, and even kaspa wasnt and still isnt an absolute master of it and certainly lacked the pace. believe it or not if jones and flintoff bowl with the pace and the reverse they've got in the ashes, i find it hard to believe that any side wont struggle significantly against them.
You are talking as if English bowlers are the first ones to use Reverse Swing. Are they better at it than Wasim/Waqar ? To be frank Bowlers like Mcgrath dont need reverse swing to destroy a batting line up. India batted out of their skin to win 2000-01 series, anyone who suggests that they could/would have lost the series had the aussie bowlers known how to bowl reverse swing, is a fool of highest order.

I love the ****iness of some of the British fans. Let me remind you that Enagland hasn't won the ashes yet. The lost the first test by 200+ runs, won the second test barely without facing Mcgrath , in the 3rd test Ponting got 156, and they couldn't get Shane Warne out on time. So much for reverse swing that Shane Warne is looking like Gary Sobers (No offence to Warnie/Sobers). 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
I love the ****iness of some of the British fans. Let me remind you that Enagland hasn't won the ashes yet.
i dont think they are much if any real ****y English fans of this forum mate......

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
KP has far more potential, because hes temperamentally the best player ive seen since steve waugh.
..and how old were you when Steve Waugh started playing ? I watched Steve Waugh play in 1986 in India and I dont think he looked anywhere near like the player he became in the mid 90s till his retirement.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
i dont think they are much if any real ****y English fans of this forum mate......
I said some. I mean how else can they totally dismiss someone like Asim Kamal and yet Proclaim KP better than him or say that 2001 aussie attack of Warnie/Gillespie/Mcgrath/Kaspa is worse than the current English Attack of Harmison/Giles/Flintoff/Jones just because the former attack can't bowl Reverse Swing ?