• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were the Australian batsmen Overrated?

simmy

International Regular
Yeah fair point. Except Vaughan... that Old Trafford wicket on Day one was as Aussie a pitch as I have ever seen in England, and he really showed his class.

Still, there is no swing... that is a big plus for the batsmen.... especially to the Aussies who have not played at all well against the swing of Jones and Flintoff.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Last I checked, 24.13 is still better than 25.39. What next Remover India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka also. :lol:
It is hardly the walkover as suggested, and if Warne had had 15 odd games against Zimbabwe, he'd be 100+ wickets clear, and there'd be now debate.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
It is hardly the walkover as suggested, and if Warne had had 15 odd games against Zimbabwe, he'd be 100+ wickets clear, and there'd be now debate.
If Warney had 15 matches against ZIM instead of other oppositions, he probably wouldnt have as many wickets. Simple reason being ZIM sucks and McGrath-Gillespie would've ran through them with Warney comming around when 3-4 wickets are left.

And Warney is STILL behind despite having a FAR better bowling support. Equalise the bowling support somewhat ( still Gillespie-Kaspa-Fleming-Lee are a damn sight better than Vaas-nobody-noname-noname) and Warney's average balloons to 27+ and Murali is 24+ change.
I am sorry but Murali is clear...far far clear.... if Murali had a McGrath to pry out the top order and expose the middle/lower middle order with as much frequency, he probably would've averaged under 20.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
If Warney had 15 matches against ZIM instead of other oppositions, he probably wouldnt have as many wickets. Simple reason being ZIM sucks and McGrath-Gillespie would've ran through them with Warney comming around when 3-4 wickets are left.

And Warney is STILL behind despite having a FAR better bowling support. Equalise the bowling support somewhat ( still Gillespie-Kaspa-Fleming-Lee are a damn sight better than Vaas-nobody-noname-noname) and Warney's average balloons to 27+ and Murali is 24+ change.
I am sorry but Murali is clear...far far clear.... if Murali had a McGrath to pry out the top order and expose the middle/lower middle order with as much frequency, he probably would've averaged under 20.
But what if Murali didnt play on doctored wickets at home?

Warne doesnt. In fact, his record away is better than at home unlike Murali's, whose away record is substantially worse.

This is a debate that will never be concluded to everybody's satisfaction.

Many think Warne is the greatest spinner ever.

Many think Murali is but just as many say that he doesnt even "bowl" the ball.

C_C

International Captain
social said:
But what if Murali didnt play on doctored wickets at home?

Warne doesnt. In fact, his record away is better than at home unlike Murali's, whose away record is substantially worse.

This is a debate that will never be concluded to everybody's satisfaction.

Many think Warne is the greatest spinner ever.

Many think Murali is but just as many say that he doesnt even "bowl" the ball.
Murali's away record is marginally worse, not substantially. And Murali didnt play on doctored pitches till the early 2000s. And not that it would've mattered for Warney - he hasnt done too 'hot' on traditional spinners wickets either.
Some may say that he doesnt even 'bowl' the ball but they are too prejudiced or ill-informed to realise that if Murali doesnt 'bowl' the ball, no bowler does and no bowler in history of cricket did.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Of course it is not a walkover especially since you suffer from selective dementia but it still is better.

And I dont know what logic you have used to say that If Warnie has played against Zim he would be 100+ wickets clear, well If Murali had played as many tests as Warnie, he would be 120+ wickets clear.( Murali takes 5.74 wickets/test(not including the minnows) whereas Warne takes 4.78 wickets/test(including the minnows))

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if Murali had a McGrath to pry out the top order and expose the middle/lower middle order with as much frequency, he probably would've averaged under 20.
Sorry but this is flawed. The whole 'better support' argument against Warne is predicated on the assumption that a bowler in a weak team will bowl as many overs as a bowler in a strong team. Patently not the case. I saw it the last Aus vs SL series where Murali bowled. And bowled. And bowled. And kept bowling until he took wickets in a rush at the end of the innings. Technically he ended up with 5 wickets in a given innings but he bowled a lot of overs getting there and, most importantly, bowled a lot of consecutive overs. In a stronger attack, Murali would, if he wasn't taking wickets for a prolonged period of time, be rested and brought back later in the innings whereas SL just keep letting him wheel away knowing that the bowlers at the other end aren't going to be taking wickets so there's no point in replacing him with an inferior bowler.

There would also be far less wickets available for him to take in a stronger attack as better bowlers would mean fewer available for him to take. It's why, in the later stages of their careers, Joel Garner, Michael Holding, etc. took less wickets, even if their averages didn't suffer much. The first sign of batsmen getting on top would result in a bowling change so the pressure was on for quick and cheap wickets and even then, there were few 5fers or greater in the WI attack of the 80's because of sharing the wickets with other such greats.

I'm not using this as an argument to say that Murali is a lesser bowler than Warne (far from it - I think highly of both). But considering the above and that they are totally different types of bowlers bowling in vastly different conditions, one cannot say with certainty who the better bowler is. Murali is superior in a number of categories numerically but those numbers don't tell all of the story.

C_C

International Captain
Sorry but this is flawed. The whole 'better support' argument against Warne is predicated on the assumption that a bowler in a weak team will bowl as many overs as a bowler in a strong team. Patently not the case. I saw it the last Aus vs SL series where Murali bowled. And bowled. And bowled. And kept bowling until he took wickets in a rush at the end of the innings. Technically he ended up with 5 wickets in a given innings but he bowled a lot of overs getting there and, most importantly, bowled a lot of consecutive overs.
Well i disagree.
If you are in a great bowling attack, the batsman is under constant pressure and your chances to average higher is well, much higher than if you are in a poor bowling attack, as the batsmen you face (unless you are the opening bowler) are all set and they can just play you out.
Ofcourse, you have more competition for wickets in a good bowling attack and as a result, its harder to average 5-6 wickets/match.

Result ? If you are about equal in capability to me and you bowl in a poor attack, your average should be worse but you should have more wickets/match ratio than me....

Which is why when you take away McGrath and leave Warney with just Gillespie-Fleming-Kaspa-Lee-Reiffel etc ( a decent attack), his average shoots up but his wicket-taking also improves.
Which is why i think if you exchange Murali for Warney in the Aussey team, Murali probably wont average 5 wickets per match but will average better.....but since his average and wicket/match are both better than Warney's, i consider him to be a superior bowler.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Look at muralis record on non spinnign tracks such as the aussie decks...... Now look at warnes. Enough said. Warne is clearly the best

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
Murali's away record is marginally worse, not substantially. And Murali didnt play on doctored pitches till the early 2000s. And not that it would've mattered for Warney - he hasnt done too 'hot' on traditional spinners wickets either.
Some may say that he doesnt even 'bowl' the ball but they are too prejudiced or ill-informed to realise that if Murali doesnt 'bowl' the ball, no bowler does and no bowler in history of cricket did.
So, for 10 - 40% of Murali's career he has bowled on doctored wickets (depending on whether you claim it was 2000 or 2005).

That is a massive advantage in anyone's language.

Inetresting that Warne clearly out-bowled Murali on these very same doctored wickets.

As for Murali's action, it's been done to death but I always find it interesting that virtually no-one ever mentions his name when it comes to World X1s etc. despite the compelling case for his inclusion.

Do you really think its because of euro centrism or some other peverse form of racism?

Give me a break!

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Look at muralis record on non spinnign tracks such as the aussie decks...... Now look at warnes. Enough said. Warne is clearly the best

Murali played one or two matches in OZ, almost 10 years ago. Nuff said. and OZ are pretty weak against spin... i dont rate a spinner's performance against OZ very highly as practically every tom,**** and harry spinner cashes in against them.
8-)

C_C

International Captain
social said:
So, for 10 - 40% of Murali's career he has bowled on doctored wickets (depending on whether you claim it was 2000 or 2005).

That is a massive advantage in anyone's language.

Inetresting that Warne clearly out-bowled Murali on these very same doctored wickets.

As for Murali's action, it's been done to death but I always find it interesting that virtually no-one ever mentions his name when it comes to World X1s etc. despite the compelling case for his inclusion.

Do you really think its because of euro centrism or some other peverse form of racism?

Give me a break!

Virtually no one mentions his name ?
Maybe here with the huge OZ-English contingent. But try popping into Indian, West Indian, Pakistani, etc. boards and Warne is the one who is almost never mentioned.

And i disagree that Warney clearly outbowled him....he had a huge advantage in the pace support he had. But then again, one series means nothing.
All i gotto say is that doctored wickets or not, Warney hasnt done too well on them anyways...the same doctored wickets in India he got clobbered day in and day out.
The best series he's had there by a country mile saw him average over 30. That too, with the star batsman injured and apart from one, practically everyone outta form.
On doctored wickets, Murali has destroyed India a few times.

besides, their overseas performance is pretty much the same, despite the fact that Murali doesnt enjoy having a pace attack like McDizzy to soften up the top order for him.

And you are ignoring the fundamental point - when Warney is seperated from his 'exhalted' bowling mate McGrath and given a situation similar to Murali or Kumble ( still marginally better at worst, mind you), he takes more wickets but his average is a light year away from Murali's and is in Kumble category.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you are in a great bowling attack, the batsman is under constant pressure and your chances to average higher is well, much higher than if you are in a poor bowling attack, as the batsmen you face (unless you are the opening bowler) are all set and they can just play you out.
Ofcourse, you have more competition for wickets in a good bowling attack and as a result, its harder to average 5-6 wickets/match.

Result ? If you are about equal in capability to me and you bowl in a poor attack, your average should be worse but you should have more wickets/match ratio than me....
Yeah but you're not disagreeing with me by saying this. :)

Murali's match/wicket ratio is affected in exactly the way you just described, yet what's the most oft-quoted statistic to 'prove' Murali's dominance over everyone? Match/wicket ratio. It certainly does follow logically that a great bowler amongst lesser peers will get many more wickets per match than another in a great attack for the reasons you described. So why then do people say that stat proves Murali a superior bowler when there are logical reasons for why his match/wicket ratio is higher (i.e. getting more of the ball and less great bowlers competing for wickets)? You have to admit; Murali DOES bowl an awful lot more overs than the other bowlers and bowls a lot of balls for his wickets. Of course, his average isn't affected by this but strike-rate is and Murali's is 57.51 vs 58.44 for Warne. That's not much of a difference, particularly since it can be said that Murali has played significantly more on 'helpful' pitches. That said, I don't think this is as huge an advantage as people will tell you because Warnie's bowling is geared towards harder/bouncier pitches and it wouldn't be easy to adapt (and vice versa).

Which is why when you take away McGrath and leave Warney with just Gillespie-Fleming-Kaspa-Lee-Reiffel etc ( a decent attack), his average shoots up but his wicket-taking also improves.
Which is why i think if you exchange Murali for Warney in the Aussey team, Murali probably wont average 5 wickets per match but will average better.....but since his average and wicket/match are both better than Warney's, i consider him to be a superior bowler.
See I think the difference in average only partly reflects ability. Leg-spin, for mine, will always be a tougher art to excel in not just because of the greater physical demands (doesn't really apply here as Murali's action is so unorthodox that he probably puts as much physical effort in as Warnie) but because of the line one has to bowl to do off-spin vs leg-spin. No matter how much the ball is turning, for a right-hander of quality, a bowler who has to aim for a leg-stump line will always be easier to score off than an off-side line, even when the ball is turning. There is always going to be a greater probability of what any batsman would consider to be a 'loose' delivery on a bowler who bowls leg-stump than off-stump. Indian players show this more than most; the reason they dominate Warne and every leggie who's been to India probably since India started playing Tests is because they are excellent at waiting on the ball and seeing the spin before playing it off the back-foot but to the full-balls, are outstanding at leg-side shots like flicks, glances, lofted-drives, etc.

Plus, there are far less fielders on the leg-side in just about any given Test-match situation (a 5-4 off-side field is about as leg-side as any international captain gets in Tests and even then, it's way more rare than a 6-3) so logically, a leg-spinner is always more likely to go for more runs, hence higher average. Because the number balls that constitute a 'match' can vary so widely (from 3 days to 5 days), I don't think wickets/match is as relevant a stat as something like strike-rate and as pointed out above, they are very similar.

So in my view, the differences in their averages is more reflective of the lower-percentage nature of a leg-stump line than raw ability. Forgetting the raw data, having seen plenty of them both (a little more of Warne, obviously), I can't separate them. They both spin the ball miles, both have excellent variation both exaggerated (leggie vs wrong'un, offie vs doosra) and subtle (both have about 5 different balls which go straight on, varying only in flight, bounce or pace), excellent sliders and both, on their days, run through opposition batting line-ups with ease. If someone asked me to pick, I just can't. Sorry. :)

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
social said:

Simply, yes.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
i think it has more to do with ppl thinking he's a chucker, more than racism. they don't take him seriously

C_C

International Captain
deeps said:
i think it has more to do with ppl thinking he's a chucker, more than racism. they don't take him seriously
But the same people dont realise, despite categoric evidence presented, that if Murali is a chucker, so is warney and everybody else!

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
But the same people dont realise, despite categoric evidence presented, that if Murali is a chucker, so is warney and everybody else!
Warnie tho hasnt undergone any testing what so ever..... For all we now he could be another......... well that guy that bowls with a straight arm, his name eludes me.

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Warnie tho hasnt undergone any testing what so ever..... For all we now he could be another......... well that guy that bowls with a straight arm, his name eludes me.
Sarwan.
And Warney has been analysed from multiple angle video clips like past bowlers.....he chucks it too.

deeps

International 12th Man
C_C said:
well, in my eyes, i don't see warne as a chucker, nor do i see most bowlers in the world as chuckers. I believe that murali chucks.

No matter what anyone says about degrees of straightening etc etc, it's still in my mind that he is a chucker. Having said that, I realise he's allowed to bowl, so i do put him up there with the best bowlers in the world atm. Some people will not see it the same way