• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Were the Australian batsmen Overrated?

howardj

International Coach
tassietiger said:
Well is it fair to say Flintoff was 'owned' by the bowlers of a few years ago? Apparently not, because you can't base it on 'before Flintoff was good'.

Hayden was not the batsman then that he is now, and I'm sure if he had his time over, he would've made a better fist of it.
Not sure about the relevance of the Flintoff comments - Flintoff's batting is far from great, even now. Regarding Hayden, we will never know who is right. But, I think this English attack, and the fact that Akhtar was all over him like a cheap suit last Australian summer, tend to support my argument. Hayden - a better player than he was, but still too vulnerable for my liking, against the top echelon of quicks.

Slow Love™

International Captain
tassietiger said:
And the selectors should stick with Gillespie. He'd be first-picked in the Pommy bowling lineup and not without good reason.
Security!

That's the worst comment I've seen for a while.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tassietiger said:
If any of these players you are talking about hit a decent patch of form you'll soon realise who is overrated. One player in the Australian team has been up to their usual standard, and that is McGrath before he was injured. Ponting's innings was not so much an in-form knock as determination to get runs. Even Warney hasn't been quite as damaging as he normally is (not taking into account his work with the bat). It's not that they're getting old, they just inconveniently synchronised their bad patches. The whole lot would normally smash the poo that they are being bowled.

The whole team need to sit down and take a good hard look at themselves, and then the English team. Then look at the scoreline. That should embarrass them enough to make them really fix this whole debacle up.

And the selectors should stick with Gillespie. He'd be first-picked in the Pommy bowling lineup and not without good reason. They stuck with Langer, Martyn and Symonds when they had bad patches, so stick with the big Diz. At least he can bat at the other end while Gilchrist is smacking his triple century off 5 overs (yes, Flintoff will bowl)
Worst non-Shane Warne post in a while, that. Completely ridiculous. Flintoff bowling crap? You clearly haven't been watching, or have no appreciation for brilliant bowling. And sticking with Gillespie when the captain doesn't even have enough confidence to bowl him more than 4 overs in an innings because he can't go at less than a run a ball would be a poor move indeed. I've advocated sticking with Gillespie for a while now, but he's done, and must be dropped for either Kasprowicz or Tait.

howardj

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
Watson- most overated cricketer going round
Watson has been horribly mis-used.

He is a batsman (averaging a tick under 50 in Pura Cup cricket) who can bowl. Not a bowler who can bat.

Secondly, he is a FC/Test player, not an ODI player who bats at 8 and bowls first change.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tassietiger said:
And the selectors should stick with Gillespie. He'd be first-picked in the Pommy bowling lineup and not without good reason.
I assume you mean as a defensive batsman to build the innings around? 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
i think a fair few of the aussie batters are overrated, but some of them also seriously underrated.
hayden as ive said a million times in the past struggles against seam and swing and its been evident in this series as well.
unlike most other people i think langer is at least a bit overrated, hes a fine player yes, but hes always been extremely inconsistent when it comes to quality attacks and while he can play the odd brilliant innings, hes also extremely likely to screw up the rest of the series.
ponting too is overrated, particularly with respect to his prowess against spin, but hes still a very good player.
i'll still maintain that martyn is massively underrated and has seriously underperformed in this series. i expect him to come good in the next 2 tests.
clarke isnt overrated or underrated.
i'll reserve further judgement on katich until we reach the end of this series. his problems so far this series has been his inability to pick which way the ball is swinging(off flintoff only) and for someone with his style of play its essential that he knows which ball to leave and which one not to.
gilchrist too is a tad overrated but his problems stem from his not knowing where his off stump is as well as the fact that he isnt a particularly good player of spin.

simmy

International Regular
They are overrated simply for the fact that the flat pitches in Australia which do not swing inflate the batting averages. Half of Tres' innings for example are in swinging conditions which is much more difficult to bat in. We have already seen the swing do for Gilchrist and Hayden several times this tour.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but which of the 2 spinners has vastly inflated his figures against Zimbabwe?
Inflated ? Look- one doesnt get to choose who one plays. That is the board's job. Even without Zimbabwe, this certain spinner outshines the blonde from OZ.
And again, like i said, Warne minus McGrath = more or less Kumble. Enuff said.
Speaks volumes that he cannot match Murali despite having a far better bowling support.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
On what grounds? He's never even played international cricket, and I don't see how you could fault his domestic performances.
12-0-113-0 before he's even got to international standard :D :D :D :D :D :D :p

simmy said:
They are overrated simply for the fact that the flat pitches in Australia which do not swing inflate the batting averages. Half of Tres' innings for example are in swinging conditions which is much more difficult to bat in. .
So how do you explain the fact that Trescothick and other English batsman don't make any runs on those Australian flat pitches?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
Inflated ? Look- one doesnt get to choose who one plays. That is the board's job. Even without Zimbabwe, this certain spinner outshines the blonde from OZ.
Right, so remove minnows and it suddenly becomes 442 @ 24.13 vs 597 @ 25.39.

Obviously 107 wickets @ 15.66 haven't made a big difference then (!)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but which of the 2 spinners has vastly inflated his figures against Zimbabwe?
Trust you to come up with that kind of BS.

Murali (without Zim) - 79 matches, avg. 23.53, SR 58.1, economy 2.42, 5fer- 40, 10s 12

Warne (without Zim) - 125 matches, avg. 25.39, SR. 58.4, Economy 2.60, 5fer - 30, 10s 9

Basically Murali beats warnie in every category there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Right, so remove minnows and it suddenly becomes 442 @ 24.13 vs 597 @ 25.39.

Obviously 107 wickets @ 15.66 haven't made a big difference then (!)
Last I checked, 24.13 is still better than 25.39. What next Remover India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka also. :lol:

simmy

International Regular
Shane Warne said:
So how do you explain the fact that Trescothick and other English batsman don't make any runs on those Australian flat pitches?
Erm... not sure... but Michael Vaughan did! :p

This England side would bat much better than the team 2 years ago indefinitely.

You have to admit surely that Aus conditions are far more friendly than Eng wickets?!

Last edited:

greg

International Debutant
This is a pointless argument. You could just as well claim that Murali benefits from the rest of the SL bowlers (except Vaas) being useless, so batsmen don't try and attack him preferring to get the runs at the other end and further that he is not limited in the number of wickets he can take because, basically, if he doesn't get them nobody will.

greg

International Debutant
simmy said:
Erm... not sure... but Michael Vaughan did! :p

This England side would bat much better than the team 2 years ago indefinitely.

You have to admit surely that Aus conditions are far more friendly than Eng wickets?!
Not in recent years, just different. Naturally Australians like batting on Australian type wickets and the English similarly.