• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would you bowl to x batsman?

Isolator

State 12th Man
Where 'x' should be a good batsman, generally considered difficult to bowl to. By 'bowl' I mean bowling to get the wicket, not to contain. Any other tactics, field placings and so forth can also be included.

Let's start with Pietersen. He's the reason I started this thread, actually. Seeing the way he was dismissed yesterday, I wonder whether Australia has a definite plan to bowl full and round the wicket to him, or was it just a one-off thing?
His method makes it quite difficult to attack the stumps directly, so what would you do?

Include any other batsmen you think would fit in here.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Pieterson doesn't seem to like short bowling as much, or fast bowling for that matter. Michael Clarke and Shane Warne have got him out a couple of times too so i would probably bowl Warne and Lee at him in preference.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Yorkers on middle stump round the wicket, throw in the bouncer occasionly
Spinners, over the wicket outside off stump.

Have a fast bowler bowl a full toss which is hitting the stumps on the full and he'll miss it.

He's been out LBW twice to that in the series, although one of course wasn't given.

simmy

International Regular
Bowling around the wicket to Pietersen may have worked yesterday but you cant help but think that that is a massively risky tactic to such a dominant legside player. Unfortunately for Australia it really was just a one-off.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pietersen's weakness has always looked to be his leg-side bias. He's quite a strong player of both spin and pace (although we've yet to see him combat swing or seam to a major degree), but he struggles to score when the ball is put well wide of off, and seems to sort of flail at the ball out there. I wouldn't be surprised (assuming he doesn't correct it) if some captain down the road works him out with an accurate bowler and a stacked off-side field, a bit like Fleming with Martyn in 2001, although for a different reason.