• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming to claim test catching record??

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just had a look at the records and my pick is that Fleming will go past Mark Waughs record 181 catches, and could be the first fielder (non keeper) to bag 200 test catches.

Thats working on the theory that he will play for another 4-5 years. He is now 32.

Below is a list of those fielders with over 100 test catches. Fleming has 140 from 95 matches.
Of the others on the list ...I don't think lara will play long enough and Dravid and Ponting seem to far behind to pass Fleming

181 ME Waugh Australia
157 MA Taylor Australia
156 AR Border Australia
148 BC Lara West Indies
140 SP Fleming New Zealand
123 R Dravid India
122 GS Chappell Australia
122 IVA Richards West Indies
120 IT Botham England
120 MC Cowdrey England
115 CL Hooper West Indies
112 SR Waugh Australia
110 WR Hammond England
110 RB Simpson Australia
109 GS Sobers West Indies
109 SK Warne Australia
108 SM Gavaskar India
105 M Azharuddin India
105 IM Chappell Australia
105 RT Ponting Australia
105 GP Thorpe England
103 GA Gooch England

Any thoughts?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Fleming has hinted that he may retire after the 2007 World Cup. If he does, it will be very hard for him to break the record.

Superb slip fielder though most of the time, but he has dropped some absolute sitters in his time.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like most that are brilliant at something, Fleming generally makes slips fielding look easy.

Would be a worthy holder of the record IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know why you think Dravid wouldn't catch Fleming. He's only a short distance behind and has 4 or 5 years in him at least. Ponting doesn't take quite as many per match, so I'd expect right now that Dravid would be the one to hold the record in a few years time. Fleming may well pass Mark first though.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Dravid has the best chance of all those to get the record. Ponting is not the same fielder and catcher he was 3 or 4 years ago.