• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

Hoggy31

International Captain
Well, with the first game exactly 2 months away i thought i'd get in early and make this thread so we can discuss the upcoming season.

I think South Australia will be the big movers this year
WA should be around the mark again
Victoria will probably be favourable candidates for last spot
Queensland look strong again
New South Wales look like they'll be around mid-table
Tasmania will probably be around mid-to-low-table.

Ok, Like last year we'll guess the leading performers

Pura Cup:

Leading Run-Scorer: Michael Bevan - think he can back up last years very strong season

Leading Wicket-Taker: Andrew Bichel - should be very consistent

ING Cup:

Leading Run-Scorer: Greg Blewett - should have a good season because won't be so heavily relied upon like last season with players like Lehmann and Elliott probably playing full-time

Leading Wicket-Taker: Mick Lewis - good OD bowler

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I really hope for the sake of Australian cricket that none of your player predictions to come off. We need someone else besides Bichel to be rolling sides for Queensland, hopefully Bevan and, even moreso with the talent at SA's disposal, Blewett get outscored by some younger pups in their sides respectively.

Hope to see Cam White take 35+ wickets, David Hussey have a very good year, and Callum Ferguson kick on. I also think/hope Matthew Inness has a cracker of a year over in WA, he's the perfect foil to Brad Williams - who I hope doesn't have a good year, because the worst thing that could happen is him to get back into contention for Aus honours 8-)

Others I'm expecting big things of are Jaques (a really big year and he'll be in the Aus side very very soon), Doherty (has to deliver eventually), the SA bowling attack (Cullen needs to prove he's not a one season wonder, while Rofe and Cleary need to show that they can provide suitable support), and one of North, Rogers or Marsh to take the season by the scruff of the neck.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I really hope for the sake of Australian cricket that none of your player predictions to come off. We need someone else besides Bichel to be rolling sides for Queensland, hopefully Bevan and, even moreso with the talent at SA's disposal, Blewett get outscored by some younger pups in their sides respectively.

Hope to see Cam White take 35+ wickets, David Hussey have a very good year, and Callum Ferguson kick on. I also think/hope Matthew Inness has a cracker of a year over in WA, he's the perfect foil to Brad Williams - who I hope doesn't have a good year, because the worst thing that could happen is him to get back into contention for Aus honours 8-)

Others I'm expecting big things of are Jaques (a really big year and he'll be in the Aus side very very soon), Doherty (has to deliver eventually), the SA bowling attack (Cullen needs to prove he's not a one season wonder, while Rofe and Cleary need to show that they can provide suitable support), and one of North, Rogers or Marsh to take the season by the scruff of the neck.
yea pretty much agree with your points vic, also if would like to see Johnson have a good season as well.....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I also hope Phillipson from Queensland has a huge year, he is a very classy batsman with a lot of potential. I also hope Watson is dropped from the Aussie one day side, so he can get a full season with Queensland.

Don't think Cullen will do much, but I hope I am proved wrong. Will be interesting to see how Hauritz goes after his winter stint under the guidance of Murali.

If Love is injury free he will challenge for most runs of the season.

South Australia should do really well this season IMO, might lose Tait for the one dayers, but should have Gillespie for most of the season.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I've forgotten who I was told to support last year, so rent-a-steds is back :)

EDIT: Btw, Andrew Symonds for PM!!!!!!!

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd think that New South Wales would be a very strong chance to retain the Pura Cup given the quality of their bowling attack and the form of guys like Jaques, Thornley and Haddin, should it continue.

Mainly though, I'm hoping to see some of the potential talent in Australia really perform.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
NSW will do well because they will have Macgill and Nicholson for the whole year - the consistant bowling attack will help alot i reakon.

i also reakon that Haddin will have another good year

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I reckon NSW should be stellar. The best bowling line-up and some great youngsters like Packman and Cowan. Jaques should rip it up.

I really hope Cullen bowls well. We need a young spinner!

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
NSW mid-table Hoggy ? With Haddin, Jacques, Thornley, Macgill, Nicholson, Clark, and Bracken they should be able to win it.

Mister Wright

burkey_1988 said:
NSW mid-table Hoggy ? With Haddin, Jacques, Thornley, Macgill, Nicholson, Clark, and Bracken they should be able to win it.
You could have had a point, if you left out the names of Thornley, Clark and Bracken.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
I reckon NSW should be stellar. The best bowling line-up and some great youngsters like Packman and Cowan. Jaques should rip it up.

I really hope Cullen bowls well. We need a young spinner!
I agree mate

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
You could have had a point, if you left out the names of Thornley, Clark and Bracken.
:@ :@ :@

"I`m packing your angry eyes, just in case."

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
You're so stubborn about this crap, really. Bracken averaged 18 last year, and Thornley in the high 50s. You don't think they contributed to New South Wales winning the Pura Cup?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I hope that a couple of NSW young batsmen really come through this season. I think guys like Creed, Simmons, Packman and Cowan have some great potential and could give us the edge in winning the Pura Cup and the ING Cup. Should also be interesting to see how Thorpe goes this season, now his retired from playing for England, he should be able to play the full season for us if he stay fit. I think Phelps and Mail maybe dropped to make way for Thorpe and a couple of the youngsters.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I also hope Watson is dropped from the Aussie one day side, so he can get a full season with Queensland.
Well thats would be good for him but unless the super-sub rule is used during the VB series & 3 ODI's in NZ i dont think he will be dropped.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
You're so stubborn about this crap, really. Bracken averaged 18 last year, and Thornley in the high 50s. You don't think they contributed to New South Wales winning the Pura Cup?
Do you always have to use one of these: :p to indicate when you are not serious?

Mister Wright

aussie said:
Well thats would be good for him but unless the super-sub rule is used during the VB series & 3 ODI's in NZ i dont think he will be dropped.
He should be dropped to gain more experience in both forms, not saying that it will happen though.

howardj

International Coach
As I understand it, Damien Martyn - ever since he became an established member of both the Test and ODI sides - has lived in Melbourne and, on the rare occasions that he has represented Western Australia, has just commuted back to his 'home' state. However, given that he has now been dumped from the Test side and presumably will be playing a great deal more domestic cricket, does anyone know who he will be turning out for - WA (in which case he'd probably have to move to the other side of the country, or VIC? Because, as I understand it, he has a contract with neither, as he is a Cricket Australia contracted player.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

howardj said:
As I understand it, Damien Martyn - ever since he became an established member of both the Test and ODI sides - has lived in Melbourne and, on the rare occasions that he has represented Western Australia, has just commuted back to his 'home' state. However, given that he has now been dumped from the Test side and presumably will be playing a great deal more domestic cricket, does anyone know who he will be turning out for - WA (in which case he'd probably have to move to the other side of the country, or VIC? Because, as I understand it, he has a contract with neither, as he is a Cricket Australia contracted player.
As a contacted player you can play for whichever team you like. I doubt he will. I get a feeling he loves to play for W.A. Ricky Ponting is in a similar situation and plays for Tasmania but lives in N.S.W.

Queensland and W.A. will be tough to beat now, with Hayden & Martyn spending more time with both sides.