• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Hmm. He bowled some great wicket taking balls, no doubt, but 14 wides is simply unacceptable. Henriques could easily chase down 6 without MacGill getting himself out, but 20 would've been another story

yeah but Lehmann was bowling his final over - would have been against Cosgrove and Blewett - so probably still would have got there - certainly would have been harder though.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Like I said to T_C, Tait should be in the ODI World Cup squad, or at least be given an opportunity to press his claims. As Lee has shown in the last couple of years (and Tait often demonstates), early wickets in OD cricket are devastating. What's more, Tait's economy rate is only 4.9 - it's not that bad.

yeah Lee's ER was that high early on in his career - not as many wides though. Tait is harder for batsmen to pick because of his action too. If he can get his accuracy better and bowl less wides hes a certain pick for the WC squad.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
another reason why Tait should be picked in the WC squad is that he seems to have the ability to bowl good yorkers & could solve australia's little weakness they seem to have at the death.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
aussie said:
another reason why Tait should be picked in the WC squad is that he seems to have the ability to bowl good yorkers & could solve australia's little weakness they seem to have at the death.
There's a good chance that Tait could get absolutely hammered at the death. Yes, theres a chance that he could completely run through a side, but much like Lee, his pace means that if he doesnt quite get it yorker length, it's easy for the ball to fly to the boundary - even if it only collects the edge or even the pad.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tait's action looked better than the Ashes - interesting to see what TC says on this - and further work with the front arm will do him wonders. However, you cant train someone to have pace like his and that need to be preserved above all.
It looks a little better and I've heard he's been working at changing it a bit but if you'd ripped the muscles in your shoulder off the bone going for a catch, your action would be at least a little different too. :)

Like I said to T_C, Tait should be in the ODI World Cup squad, or at least be given an opportunity to press his claims. As Lee has shown in the last couple of years (and Tait often demonstates), early wickets in OD cricket are devastating. What's more, Tait's economy rate is only 4.9 - it's not that bad.
AGAIN, that's because he rarely bowls at the death for SA - he's mostly used in the Lee-type role; rip out a few early wickets. That's exactly what he did today, that's what he does for SA and that's exactly why, with Lee already in the side, Tait isn't required in that role. He should be in the squad, yes, but if Lee's in the side, without some other pretty damn accurate bowlers in support, I wouldn't have him in the side.

That said, an attack of Lee and Tait followed by Clark/Bracken, Symonds and Hogg would be nasty to face........

Hmm. He bowled some great wicket taking balls, no doubt, but 14 wides is simply unacceptable.
Yeah but without those 6 wickets, the game would not have even been close. It's pretty clear, with a small total, he was going all-out for wickets and not really worrying too much about where they were headed. When he nails them, that makes him tough to play. By anyone else's standards, 14 wides is a lot but very few bowlers in the world bowl as many wicket-taking balls in any given spell as he does. It's a bit of a trade-off.

There are so few bowlers with the ability to just rip the guts out of a batting line up and this should just be accepted about Tait and he be picked accordingly. I think changing his style would just make him a lesser bowler and a mistake.

I mean just have a look at his wickets today; Simmons, Jacques, Richards, Phelps, Thornley and Krejza were all ripped out. Not many bowlers can do that. Most bowlers work on their wickets, bowl a few straight ones, maybe throw in the sucker-ball. Tait just gets batsmen out, almost irrespective of whether they're on 10 or 110. You can't buy that sort of ability, even if it costs you a few runs sometimes.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By the way, Haddin's performance after Thornley dropped that outfield catch; biggest dummy-spit of the season? I mean, what a child; going off because Dom Thornley, one of the best ground fielders in the country, made a mistake. NOT that sort of thing one expects from the captain........

howardj

International Coach
Blewy Dropped

I think, with Blewy, the fire went out a long time ago. Probably ever since he was dropped from the Test team for the second time, in New Zealand in 2000.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
It looks a little better and I've heard he's been working at changing it a bit but if you'd ripped the muscles in your shoulder off the bone going for a catch, your action would be at least a little different too. :)

AGAIN, that's because he rarely bowls at the death for SA - he's mostly used in the Lee-type role; rip out a few early wickets. That's exactly what he did today, that's what he does for SA and that's exactly why, with Lee already in the side, Tait isn't required in that role. He should be in the squad, yes, but if Lee's in the side, without some other pretty damn accurate bowlers in support, I wouldn't have him in the side.

That said, an attack of Lee and Tait followed by Clark/Bracken, Symonds and Hogg would be nasty to face........

Yeah but without those 6 wickets, the game would not have even been close. It's pretty clear, with a small total, he was going all-out for wickets and not really worrying too much about where they were headed. When he nails them, that makes him tough to play. By anyone else's standards, 14 wides is a lot but very few bowlers in the world bowl as many wicket-taking balls in any given spell as he does. It's a bit of a trade-off.

There are so few bowlers with the ability to just rip the guts out of a batting line up and this should just be accepted about Tait and he be picked accordingly. I think changing his style would just make him a lesser bowler and a mistake.

I mean just have a look at his wickets today; Simmons, Jacques, Richards, Phelps, Thornley and Krejza were all ripped out. Not many bowlers can do that. Most bowlers work on their wickets, bowl a few straight ones, maybe throw in the sucker-ball. Tait just gets batsmen out, almost irrespective of whether they're on 10 or 110. You can't buy that sort of ability, even if it costs you a few runs sometimes.
Downside of Tait and Lee in the same side and without world-class support - 300+

Upside - 100

Tait cannot be any less effective than Lewis et al and he needs to bowl not just be kept in cooton-wool for the odd test.

He can, however, be much more damaging in any form of the game.

Tait is as quick as anyone playing the game at present - Lee, Shoaib, whoever.

You cannot buy that pace and he shouldnt be wasted behind trundlers but you do have to accept the good with the bad whilst he gains experience.

Last edited:

andyc

Top_Cat said:
By the way, Haddin's performance after Thornley dropped that outfield catch; biggest dummy-spit of the season? I mean, what a child; going off because Dom Thornley, one of the best ground fielders in the country, made a mistake. NOT that sort of thing one expects from the captain........
I agree, absolutely shocking behavior coming from the captain. I can understand he may be disappointed, but for one, they were already 6 (7 maybe) down, so it probably wouldn't have had a large outcome on the game (at that stage), and secondly, a job of a captain is to encourage his players rather than make them cower when they make a mistake.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
I know I have said this but I look up to him, and thats how I will react fromnow. Classic, cant get over it...:laugh:

andyc

dontcloseyoureyes said:
Steve Waugh?
Well he did often come out in public and supported indivdual players, and he certainly never did anything so obvious on the cricket field.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
andyc said:
Well he did often come out in public and supported indivdual players, and he certainly never did anything so obvious on the cricket field.
Surely true. But I'd have been cowering if I screwed up in the field with Steve as my captain.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I loved watching the final, awesome game. Tait was simply amazing with his raw pace. So many people are saying 'He cost SA the game because of his wides'. Laughable IMO. He took 6 wickets! And five of them were simply spectacular deliveries.

As I said to my mate today - If Bird`s action is legal, it is one of the best actions I`ve ever seen. He gets such massive rip on the ball and awesome sideways movement.

Best of luck to him.

andyc

Nnanden said:
I loved watching the final, awesome game. Tait was simply amazing with his raw pace. So many people are saying 'He cost SA the game because of his wides'. Laughable IMO. He took 6 wickets! And five of them were simply spectacular deliveries.

As I said to my mate today - If Bird`s action is legal, it is one of the best actions I`ve ever seen. He gets such massive rip on the ball and awesome sideways movement.

Best of luck to him.
My qualm was the fact that surely he could have cut down on a few of them... I can fully understand that he was trying to take wickets, but you'd think he'd be about to get it on target a few more times.

Anyway, to Bird's action. I have no idea what you're talking about... I only saw him bowl one or two of his final overs and I didn't really remember looking at his action that much, does it look bad? Hopefully it is alright, cause from what I did see, he looked a big prospect.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
He gets a big elbow flex which is the main reason he gets so much movement when no-one else does.