• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm sure most members on the board would agree with me that Bracken currently is a much better choice than Tait when it comes to Tests and ODIs.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
I'm sure most members on the board would agree with me that Bracken currently is a much better choice than Tait when it comes to Tests and ODIs.
No doubt about that. Tait is raw, inexperienced, and unproven at the international level and Brackne has proved in both forms he is a class player. Tait may be good in the future, but is not even in my top six at the moment.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
haha, wanna bet:p , but seriously look at how Bracken has bowled in test this season, before the WI test people were saying that he had improved in his ability to swing the ball but he really didn't, againts SA in perht especially on the last day he was just accurate without ever looking like he was going to get anyone out.

With Tait in the test squad you get an aggressive wicket-taking bowler, who could be expensive but he will develop in that area. So for me i would have Tait in the test sqaud & Bracken in the OD team.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
No doubt about that. Tait is raw, inexperienced, and unproven at the international level and Brackne has proved in both forms he is a class player. Tait may be good in the future, but is not even in my top six at the moment.
when has Bracken shown he is class player in tests?

howardj

International Coach
I think Tait has the armoury and the potential to be a better Test bowler than Bracken. Whether he is at the moment, is open to debate, for I don't think we've seen enough of Tait at Test level to form a fair judgement.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
If the ball is going to swing Bracken's your man.

If not then the aussies will probably gamble with tait's raw pace but never in ODI's.

Btw when is Graham Thorpe going to get a game for NSW ? It's a sad end to see him rotting away in the reserves. :(

Mister Wright

howardj said:
Gillespie and Bailey have continued their stellar form for South Australia, in their match against Victoria at the Adelaide Oval. Gillespie took 4/50. He now has 25 wickets @20 in the Pura Cup this year. Be great if he could jag a Test tour to South Africa. He's still only 30, and has only been dropped from the Test team once in his career. With McGrath always a chance of getting injured, he'd be a good back-up, along with Lee and Bracken, for the three Test matches over there. There are not, in my view, too many other quicks who have made a case for selection.
Isn't it interesting how Bailey gets top order wickets and doesn't require 40 overs to get his first like the other over-paid spinner from South Australia?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Autobahn said:
If the ball is going to swing Bracken's your man.

If not then the aussies will probably gamble with tait's raw pace but never in ODI's.

Btw when is Graham Thorpe going to get a game for NSW ? It's a sad end to see him rotting away in the reserves. :(
Tait may get into the ODI team soon but Clark has to start failing, i thin Thorpe is in australia but he is just coaching.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Isn't it interesting how Bailey gets top order wickets and doesn't require 40 overs to get his first like the other over-paid spinner from South Australia?
what are you trying to say Kyle?:happy:

Mister Wright

aussie said:
what are you trying to say Kyle?:happy:
You just have to look at Cullen's record this year, I think he is averaging close to 40 with the ball and he has bowled a lot of overs. And if you follow any of S.A.'s games on live scores, you'll see Cullen rarely picks up wickets in his first 25-30 overs, but still ends up with 3 or 4 as he gets cheap tail-end wickets. I remember one game against N.S.W. it took him until the 40th over to get a wicket and ended up with 4. While I think he's a player of the future I certainly don't think he deserves a national contract. Not having seen Cullen Bailey bowl, but at least he's getting top order players out.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
For me Bracken is a useful ODI bowler but certainly not test class - not a patch on Gillespie or Kaspa in teh longer version for mine.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
For me Bracken is a useful ODI bowler but certainly not test class - not a patch on Gillespie or Kaspa in teh longer version for mine.
Agreed. I've actually warmed to Bracken as a ODI bowler, he seems to have good control of the white ball. However, in test/first class cricket he relies far too much on the conditions to be a truely consistent bowler. Gillespie's back in form he should go to South Africa.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
so none of these guys have made a claim for selections:
Brett Dorey - 26 wkts @ 23
Paul Rofe - 25 wkts @ 24
Allan Wise - 23 wktc @ 25

Add to that two other oldies:
Kaspa - 28 wkts @ 23
Bichel - 28 wkts @ 25
Rofe and Wise have to spend another 5 years improving their fielding before even getting thought about getting a game...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You just have to look at Cullen's record this year, I think he is averaging close to 40 with the ball and he has bowled a lot of overs. And if you follow any of S.A.'s games on live scores, you'll see Cullen rarely picks up wickets in his first 25-30 overs, but still ends up with 3 or 4 as he gets cheap tail-end wickets. I remember one game against N.S.W. it took him until the 40th over to get a wicket and ended up with 4. While I think he's a player of the future I certainly don't think he deserves a national contract. Not having seen Cullen Bailey bowl, but at least he's getting top order players out.
What you describe about Bailey is almost to the letter exactly what Dan Cullen was doing last year when HE was an unknown quantity too. He's just suffering from second-season syndrome. He's hardly over-paid and is still bowling well. Certainly better than any other offie in the country.

andyc

Jaques hits another 100, this time 116, as Queensland complete an easy win against NSW