• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
NSW will be really hard to beat this season as much as i hate them. For Victoria it will be a rebuilding season with Elliott, Harvey and possibly Hodge missing (for Australia) its hard to see were they will get there runs from. Crosthwaite, White and Hussey i would think would need to take a huge step up this season. For bowling its just a case of who will help Lewis and Warne (when hes playing) out again they will struggle to take the 20 wickets in a match. Qld will be there abouts again with Hayden getting back and helping out.

My predicted Pura Cup Table:

NSW
QLD
WA
SA
TAS
VIC

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I dunno, with Bracken a regular fixture in the Test, ODI and soon World sides, NSW will prob finish last.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
You hope my joking what? Hang on... I don`t even have a joking.

You`re not making any sense, prodigy. And yes, `tis a joke

Linda

Mister Wright said:
As a contacted player you can play for whichever team you like. I doubt he will. I get a feeling he loves to play for W.A. Ricky Ponting is in a similar situation and plays for Tasmania but lives in N.S.W.

Queensland and W.A. will be tough to beat now, with Hayden & Martyn spending more time with both sides.
I read an article in the paper here in which he said hed like to go back to WA once he's finished with the Australian team... I dont know if that applies in this circumstance. I hope not.... :(

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
I read an article in the paper here in which he said hed like to go back to WA once he's finished with the Australian team... I dont know if that applies in this circumstance. I hope not.... :(
Do you mean to live or to play?

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
One thing is for sure, early performances will be scrutinised more intensely than they have for quite a number of seasons.

Linda

Mister Wright said:
Do you mean to live or to play?
Play I guess. Ill see if I can find the article.

Edit: No, I wont. I just realised it was a newspaper article... theres no way itll be available on the net.

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
If they brand him, like Bevan, In the 'Never to Play Again' category. I can't see him having the passion to play on with WA

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I wonder how the Queensland selectors will approach this season? It could be a real changing of the guard or dad's army depending on how they go. With players like Hayden, Maher, Love, Secombe, Bichel, Kaspa, Dawes well over thirty but still performing well could stifle the development of their young batsmen and particularly bowlers like Mitchell Johnson. How much longer will Hartley stay without getting a game?

We should still be a force, but I worry about losing more of our good young players to other states.

Mister Wright

mavric41 said:
I wonder how the Queensland selectors will approach this season? It could be a real changing of the guard or dad's army depending on how they go. With players like Hayden, Maher, Love, Secombe, Bichel, Kaspa, Dawes well over thirty but still performing well could stifle the development of their young batsmen and particularly bowlers like Mitchell Johnson. How much longer will Hartley stay without getting a game?

We should still be a force, but I worry about losing more of our good young players to other states.

Maher and Love are still only just turned 30, so I can see them continuing for a few more years. If Hayden is dropped from the test side he will play for a year or two. Bichel will play until he dies on the field. Secombe will have his performances monitored more closely. Kaspa is still a chance of getting back to the Aussie side so he'll play for another 2 seasons probably. Dawes may be the unfortunate one, but he's been our most consistent bowler of the past half decade.

If Watson is in the Aussie side full time I'd imagine Qld playing this side:

Hayden, Maher, Love, Symonds, Phillipson, Hopes, Secombe, Bichel, Johnson, Kasprowicz, Dawes.

When the test side is away Perren will come in for Hayden at least at the start of the season (unless Hayden is dropped).

With Symonds and Hopes away during the ODIs I'd imagine this side:

Hayden, Maher, Love, Perren, Phillipson, Secombe, Bichel, Hauritz, Johons, Kasprowicz, Dawes.

Maybe Hauritz to be replaced by a batsman, but he's improved his batting and Bichel is handy also, so I wouldn't be too surprised if that was a possible line-up.

Linda

He's retired?!
He was an excellent keeper, but it annoyed me how they kept putting him in Australian A sides when you knew they were never going to put him in the International squad. I see him kind of like Stuart MacGill, if he had been born in a different era, he couldve been great.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Wade Seccombe was quite possibly the best keeper in the world and it's sad that he'll end his career by dropping the Pura Cup.

I think it's good for Queensland though as Chris Hartley is a very good cricket and will be in the team for a long time.

With a fully available squad:
Hayden
Maher
Love
Watson
Symonds
Hopes
Hartley
Bichel
Johnson
Kasprowicz
Dawes
--------------
Philipson
Hauritz
Perren
Noffke
Nye
Simpson
Carseldine (returning from injury after 2 years?)

Last edited:

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
James90 said:
Wade Seccombe was quite possibly the best keeper in the world and it's sad that he'll end his career by dropping the Pura Cup.

I think it's good for Queensland though as Chris Hartley is a very good cricket and will be in the team for a long time.

Hayden
Maher
Love
Perren
Symonds
Hopes
Hartley
Bichel
Johnson
Kasprowicz
Dawes
--------------
Philipson
Hauritz
Noffke
Nye
Simpson

Aren't you forgetting about Shane Watson?

Mister Wright

James90 said:

Hayden
Maher
Love
Watson
Symonds
Hopes
Hartley
Bichel
Johnson
Kasprowicz
Dawes
--------------
Philipson
Hauritz
Perren
Noffke
Nye
Simpson
There should be a rule that Phillipson plays every game for Qld (depending on form) no matter what players are available for Qld. He is a huge talent of the future. I don't think Qld will see much of Watson this season, he will either be playing for Australia or 12th man.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Bichel will play until he dies on the field.
word :D :laugh: , but i'll be looking foward to see how these youngsters perform:

- Jaques, Cullen, Marsh, Johnson, White, next generation keepers in (Hartley,Ronchi & Crosthwaite), Simpson.