• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2005/06 thread

Linda

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
Your mate, Marto, wouldn't appreciate having to fight his way back into the Aus team on the WACA wicket. Let's hope he posts a 'biggy' in the 2nd dig.
Lol, its not as if he's never made a big score there before. Its not impossible, it just requires a bit of application and alot of patience.

howardj

International Coach
Mitchell Johnson 3/28 so far in the Tassie 2nd Innings. Don't rule this guy out of the 12 for the First Test at the 'Gabba. Certainly, subject to decent performances between now and then, I'd rather see him get a start than either Bracken or Clark. Johnson and Aaron Bird will both be key figures in Australia's plans in the future.

Linda

Cant be too bad to bat on .... WA 0/126, 3 runs away from Victorias innings lead. Hussey 74*, Rogers 50*. 'Stuff :D

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
Seems like the curators at the WACA and Gabba go way over the top in preparing 'result' wickets. You don't have to prepare a 'greentop' to get a result in a four day game. I don't think it does the batsmen any good at all. More broadly, in my view, there's been a marked deterioration in the Pura Cup wickets over the last few years. In the 1990's, to get the attention of the selectors, you'd have to get 1000 runs in the season. These days, because of the inferior, result oriented pitches, not many batsmen get anywhere near that.
I was there for the last season on day two at the 'Gabba and the wicket was anything but unplayable. The wicket required applicaton from the batsman, and the class of Jimmy Maher and the bravado of Hopes stood out amongst the others. Maher played one of the best executed innings I have seen in a long time, he was very cautious early, only playing at balls when he had to. He rarely drove and demolished all short balls. Once he was settled he let lose. It was hardly a bowlers paradise.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Round One for the battle of the young gun keepers goes Chris Hartley, with his 76 aganist WA. Interesting that Ronchi didn't make the WA side after his 100 off about 50 balls for WA 2nds.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Round One for the battle of the young gun keepers goes Chris Hartley, with his 76 aganist WA. Interesting that Ronchi didn't make the WA side after his 100 off about 50 balls for WA 2nds.
Chances are that Campbell will play Pura Cup all year for WA. This puts Ronchi behind the 8-ball for a while, but really - when you look at how they picked Hartley as reserve for the Aus A tour - it's pretty easy to see who is in the box seat.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
Chances are that Campbell will play Pura Cup all year for WA. This puts Ronchi behind the 8-ball for a while, but really - when you look at how they picked Hartley as reserve for the Aus A tour - it's pretty easy to see who is in the box seat.
I didn't think Hartley was all that good of a bat, and was surprised he was on call for the Pakistan A tour. However, from what I've read Hartley's innings today was magical.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
I didn't think Hartley was all that good of a bat, and was surprised he was on call for the Pakistan A tour. However, from what I've read Hartley's innings today was magical.
From what I've heard, he's very good with the stick. Ton on debut not enough to convince you? :p

Dasa

Mister Wright said:
Are you Mark Nicholas?
:D

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
From what I've heard, he's very good with the stick. Ton on debut not enough to convince you? :p
I saw some of that innings and thought it had more to do with luck than anything else and a poor attack and considering he didn't make much in his innings after that 100. However, if he continues like he is, he's got my vote.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Mitchell Johnson 3/28 so far in the Tassie 2nd Innings. Don't rule this guy out of the 12 for the First Test at the 'Gabba. Certainly, subject to decent performances between now and then, I'd rather see him get a start than either Bracken or Clark. Johnson and Aaron Bird will both be key figures in Australia's plans in the future.
yes very true would be very nice if Johnson bowls well & gets called up. But here's an intersting dilemma lets say the selectors decide to stick with Warne & MacGill & Johnson & Dizzy have outstanding bowling performaces at the start of the season.

Who would you call up the old stalward or the talented rookie?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Hartley's 76 has got him ahead of the keepers race but i would like to see how they all perform for the entire season, probably Ronchi may miss out with Campbell around....