• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with Wisden's 5 cricketers of the century??

Status
Not open for further replies.

archie mac

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Hobbs
Sobers
Warne
Richards
Bradman

If not, who would yours be???
I believe only Bradman was on every ones list. I would have had S. Barnes (England) instead of Warne. I almost agree with Gideon Haigh who thought Benaud should have been on the list for his wide commitment to the game; Cricketer, writer and commentator.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought at the time it was a very "batsmen heavy" list: 3 batsmen, 1 batting all-rouner & a spinner. I'd have been tempted to include a quick in there, possibly Malcolm Marshall for Viv or Hobbs.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I don't think it's possible to have 5 cricketers of the century who have contributed extensively more than many other greats. The only 2 who really stand out are obviously Bradman and Sobers - I don't think Hobbs, Richards or Warne stand out enough (or at all) to warrant being on such a list.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I actually do agree with it... every pick. I think that a list like that has to be based on contributions to the game in other ways than just being the best player. Each of those 5 players changed the game and the way it was played and talked about in a significant way, as well as being among the best to ever play the game. Each led their team to a huge amount of success, and were among the greatest of their time, and each was a magnetic, memorable personality who attracted people to the game and made lasting impressions.

Excellent list.

Status
Not open for further replies.