• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Warne have been a good captain?

It's a shame he will never be it because I think this series is showing that he would have been the best man for the job.

He is the probably the best captain Australia never had. He is showing immense leadership qualities as well as directing traffic in terms of the tactics.

At times when Ponting would consult Warne he looked like a lost little boy whereas Warne looked calm and in control.

His cricket brain is reputed to be unsurpassed and I've noticed he is supporting his team mates and getting results out of them as a direct result.

Warne is leading by example and bringing a lot of fight and heart to the table and appears to be able to motivate those around him. He is the unoffical captain.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I agree. Old Tubby would have made a fine captain.

At OT Thursday and yesterday, I noticed he was the one telling the fielders where to go most of the time, but didn't notice him talking to Ponting too often. Though, I'm sure it's just me being an idiiot :wacko:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:

At OT Thursday and yesterday, I noticed he was the one telling the fielders where to go most of the time, but didn't notice him talking to Ponting too often. Though, I'm sure it's just me being an idiiot :wacko:
Frankly on thursday, Pontings job appeared to be to go and collect the bowlers cap and deliver it to the umpire so they didn't have to walk as far :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Fatboy would have made an outstanding captain. Especially compared to Ponting, whose leadership skills are comparable to those of his lookalike, a Mr G. W. Bush of Texas, in my opinion.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is he your brother, S_W?

He would have made one of the great international captains, in my opinion - an astoundingly astute knowledge of the game.

A shame he carries so much baggage - although that might be why he is so cool on the field of play. After all, there can be no pressure involved in a game of cricket compared to what he's been through in his colourful life.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:

no steds your right it looked like Ponting & Warne were captaining the side together & Gilchrist the vice-captain hardly hand any input during England's innings....

wahindiawah

Banned
Had warne been the captain then the Australian dressing room would have been occupied by hookers and bookies all the time.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
Had warne been the captain then the Australian dressing room would have been occupied by hookers and bookies all the time.
Not necessarily - he might have just met a nice TV weather-girl and settled down.

We're talking Australian captain here, not Indian.

C_C

International Captain
Err..you wont find that many indian captains cavorting with every tramp on the street...and Warney has just as much contact with the bookies after Hansie...but ofcourse, CA preffered to sweep it under the carpet.
IMO, Warney has an excellent cricketing brain but he doesnt have the personality or the right image to be a captain.
It would be akin to appointing Denis Rodman as the captain of a cricke team, really.

wahindiawah

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Not necessarily - he might have just met a nice TV weather-girl and settled down.

Warne settling down..LOl nice try.

And ganguly might have an affair with one acctress, but it wasn't like he was jumping in bed with every other girl and later calling thgem hookers for selling the stories :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
wahindiawah said:
Warne settling down..LOl nice try.

And ganguly might have an affair with one acctress, but it wasn't like he was jumping in bed with every other girl and later calling thgem hookers for selling the stories :p
Wasn't referring to Ganguly, WIW (or C_C).

I was discussing Derbyshire's former captain and equally very good friend of 'John'.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
Err..you wont find that many indian captains cavorting with every tramp on the street...and Warney has just as much contact with the bookies after Hansie...but ofcourse, CA preffered to sweep it under the carpet.
IMO, Warney has an excellent cricketing brain but he doesnt have the personality or the right image to be a captain.
It would be akin to appointing Denis Rodman as the captain of a cricke team, really.
I'm no expert, but isn't Rodman really better known as a basketball player?! The fact that Warne is actually a cricket player would mark him out as a better choice as a cricket captain, if nothing else. :p

Seriously tho, Warne's colourful off-field activities (which have seemingly continued well into his mid-30s) have cost Oz a great captain. It's to Warne's immense credit that he's been able to raise his game consistently in spite of what must be a hellish time for him (self-inflicted or not). I guess one could make the case that his off-field conduct is his business, but the captaincy of Australia seems to be invested with so much weight & history that it would be practically impossible for the selectors to maintain that line.

Slightly off topic but connected, I also remember a few months ago some posters here seriously suggesting Ponting was a better captain than Vaughan. Now I think that just the way Vaughan has handled his bowlers alone has given lie to that. I'd also doubt if Punter's immediate predecessor would've looked quite so pleased with himself after a 2 run defeat either. Aussie captains are seemingly never sacked, but I really don’t think Ponting is the best man for the job & probably never was.

Gilchrist as an interregnum candidate until a suitable replacement is in the team or Clarke's balls drop, whichever is sooner?! ;)

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
no steds your right it looked like Ponting & Warne were captaining the side together & Gilchrist the vice-captain hardly hand any input during England's innings....
Nice to see I've not lost all my marbles before I've turned 17. Got to save some for senile dementia

C_C

International Captain
Quiete correct BB- Rodman was the insanely talented but plain ol insane defender for Chicago Bulls....but i was comparing akin to personalities really....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
C_C said:
Quiete correct BB- Rodman was the insanely talented but plain ol insane defender for Chicago Bulls....but i was comparing akin to personalities really....
Yeah, I could see the point you were making. I was just being facetious! :D

I'm not a basketball fan, but Rodman used to make even the UK tabs regularly what with the cross-dressing & the marrying of Baywatch stars who he'd known for about 48 hours in total!

Crazy hair, crazy guy.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
No doubt you'll have conclusive evidence to prove this then?

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
No doubt you'll have conclusive evidence to prove this then?
No doubt Warney was simply passing off 'pitch information' to the bookies with Junior.
8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Fatboy would have made an outstanding captain. Especially compared to Ponting, whose leadership skills are comparable to those of his lookalike, a Mr G. W. Bush of Texas, in my opinion.
ponting looks like bush??? never heard that before... :)