• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would Warne have been a good captain?

King_Ponting

International Regular
Swervy said:
do you really think Warne/Ponting would do that.

I have to say Pontings captaincy has been in general pretty average so far
Do i really think warne would do that? yes, actually i wouldnt put it past him, becasue much the same situation as the last test occured in this test andwarne was bowling much earlier than on this occasion

Swervy

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Do i really think warne would do that? yes, actually i wouldnt put it past him, becasue much the same situation as the last test occured in this test andwarne was bowling much earlier than on this occasion
well that all adds up to some pretty weak captaincy from Ponting then

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
King_Ponting said:
Yeh, but if the guy doesnt want to bowl.........
Never happen.

The guy is already saying there is no reason why he shouldnt bowl on to take 700 wickets. Who is to say that KP cant be that one or his 750th, or 650 th.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
Yeh, but if the guy doesnt want to bowl.........
It's only YOU saying that, struggling to find a reason as to why he didn't bowl. It couldn't possibly be Ricky ****ing up, therefore it has to be Warney throwing a tantrum.

That's how rumours start.

Shounak

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I don't think Punter has kept his nose clean, is his youth he had his widely publicised dalliances with the bottle & the gee-gees. The difference seems to be that Punter has matured sufficiently to put those "issues" behind him. Warne, 5 years his senior, still seems unable to keep the mouse in its house.
What I meant to say was that Punter's kept his nose clean of late. We all know what he's done in the past, but we haven't heard anything of it in the last few years. If Punter had of pulled a stunt like that in the last few years of Tugga's captaincy, Gilchrist would now be the captain.

Plus Punter was remorseful. He admitted on prime time TV that he had a drinking problem. Warney on the other hand, just lacks the remorse or credibility. Warne's the kind of player that thrives on his publicity too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
No doubt Warney was simply passing off 'pitch information' to the bookies with Junior.
8-)
So no, you don't have conclusive evidence and therefore have no basis for suggesting that after Cronje, Warne has most contact with bookies.

Shounak

Banned
social said:
As such, Ive always thought that if the ICC, ACB and general public could forgive Warne for his off-field indiscretions to the extent that they allow him to play, then he should be allowed to play to the best of his ability. From Aus' perspective, that should have resulted in him being appointed captain of his country.
I'd disagree with you there. I don't think being appointed a captain would allow him to play the best of his ability. It may bring out the best in him, but not make him play the best. Batsmen have been known to have lower averages during captaincy, then without.

The scarcity of bowler-captains would probably make it hard to generalise, but I'm sure bowlers who captained would have decreased performance. I'd be fascinated to hear stats about Imran, Walsh or any other full-time bowler/captains.

Shounak

Banned
Swervy said:
well that all adds up to some pretty weak captaincy from Ponting then
What about his world record delivery. He could've snared that against one the Lankans during the top end tour. Australia would easily have won that match at that stage also. They were toying with Lanka like a cat with a mouse. Warney wasn't given as many overs as he could have.

Those two aren't as chummy as some make them out to be. Warne looked to be dying for overs that match.

Shounak

Banned
marc71178 said:
So no, you don't have conclusive evidence and therefore have no basis for suggesting that after Cronje, Warne has most contact with bookies.
You saw that hit-wicket. His right foot kicked the stumps. I was spitting chips. It seemed very, very suspicious to me.

Hit-wicket. Pffft. The classic dismissal for cheats.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shounak said:
You saw that hit-wicket. His right foot kicked the stumps. I was spitting chips. It seemed very, very suspicious to me.

Hit-wicket. Pffft. The classic dismissal for cheats.
Absolute poppycock - total and utter garbage.

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Absolute poppycock - total and utter garbage.
I'm not accusing him. Merely suspecting. Any other player, probably not.

And even if it wasn't for money, it was probably for media attention. Some journo may interview him to ask him how he felt, and what he was thinking. He could then elaborate about how magnanimous of a team player he is.

Just makes me wonder.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shounak said:
I'm not accusing him. Merely suspecting. Any other player, probably not.

And even if it wasn't for money, it was probably for media attention. Some journo may interview him to ask him how he felt, and what he was thinking. He could then elaborate about how magnanimous of a team player he is.

Just makes me wonder.
I suppose he had a few bob on NOT making a hundred today too in that case. You are on pretty shaky ground.

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
I suppose he had a few bob on NOT making a hundred today too in that case. You are on pretty shaky ground.
Very shaky ground in fact. That doesn't mean it isn't a possibility though. You just never know with a celebrity like Warne.

Slow Love™

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
I have a feeling that warne had a lot to do with that decision as he was hell bent on pietersen as his 600th wicket......
Hahaha, that is just too silly.

If it were true - and I don't really entertain the possibility that it is - it'd be an absolute travesty (and indictment) for Ponting to accommodate it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warne is my favorite player, and I do think that Warne's got an excellent cricketing brain, but I think there are some reasonable reservations we might have with him as an international captain, even if the Ian Chappell cheer squad has been pretty unrelenting ever since Steve Waugh got the job. For the record, I think Waugh was the ideal person for the job (and I think his legacy has been extremely unfairly treated since his retirement), and I wouldn't have promoted Warne ahead of him.

I don't agree with the prudish scrutiny that Warne is constantly under, but given the reality that a) he can't seem to stop bringing it upon himself and b)he doesn't like that kind of scrutiny and does his best to avoid the press (to the extent of running to another country) when it hits the fan, he's hardly the best person for a role that requires frequent press contact and expectations for comment like captaincy does. When you are interviewed and you are the endorsed public representative of the team as such, nobody wants your press engagements to become about you more than about the team. It's just the kind of distraction that neither Warne nor Cricket Australia particularly want.

Secondly, I'm not so sure about the "leader of men" part. IMO, Warne can be very hard on those that don't meet his lofty standards at times, but beyond this, I think that some of his actions have annoyed members of the team. In the wake of his diuretics incident, it was palpable that Gilchrist and Ponting in particular were fairly angered by his conduct, and his chequered history probably played it's part in their exasperation.

I probably rate Vaughan, Inzy and Fleming above Ponting (I'd had Ponting and Fleming pretty close previously, but Punter's done himself few favors this tour). If he were to be replaced, I'm not sure who'd get the job, although Clarke is obviously being groomed for the long term. I'm a little surprised at some of the effusive praise for Gilly in this thread, 'cause I don't think he's that special, and I don't think he particularly wants the job either, given the huge job he has in general without the burden of the captaincy.

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Very shaky ground in fact. That doesn't mean it isn't a possibility though. You just never know with a celebrity like Warne.

His lack of a test century also serves a purpose. Not only will he be remembered as the best legspinner of the 20th century, possibly 21st. He'll also be remembered as the guy who was not only cheated out of his century due to a wrongly called no-ball (AB Medal? Vettori?), but the guy who scored the most amount of runs without a century.

His lack of a test century serves him well.

But there is insufficient evidence for me to suggest his playing can be affected by a peripheral element, as yet. My eyes, along with my mind will remain open though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
That story doesn't appear to have an ounce of credibility.

As Eddie said:
Luckyeddie said:
One of the UK Sunday papers published a 'story' - total poppycock I reckon. It was along the lines of "My window-cleaner's bet mate Harry had a job at Old Trafford yesterday cleaning up all the Pigeon poop (:p ) and he said that the groundsman's pet dog Kipper's dog-handler heard that someone had said that they thought they lip-read Warne telling Ponting that he was an idiot."