• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"20 Caps and Under" XI

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Right, we're in the crucial period smack bang in the middle of two World Cups, as teams try to build a team with the right blend of youth and experience to succeed, and to get the last few years they can out of their older players.

However, who will be the young players taking over the mantle of those who retire after the 2007 World Cup? By this I mean who are the players at the moment who are either just starting or just about to start their Test and/or ODI careers, and who look as if they could be among the best in the world in a few years time - not players who are young but already established as Test players.

20 Test caps and under is a good margin I think - players like Strauss and Clarke have only been playing Tests for a year or so, but still have 15-odd Tests under their belt, so that seems about fair.

My XI:

1. AJ Strauss (capt)
2. AB De Villiers (wk)
3. MJ Clarke
4. IR Bell
5. KP Pietersen
6. HJH Marshall
7. SR Watson
8. DDJ Bravo
9. IK Pathan
10. SP Jones
11. SW Tait

Couldn't think of a spinner - Clarke and Pietersen can share the duties. :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Pardon my ignorance, but who is it? It's not the great Dave, surely? I thought he had a little moustache.
It is the great Dave indeed. Pretty old picture, though

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
Collingwood in for Watson.
Thought the team was a little top-heavy to have a guy like Colly at 7, but he could well be a part of the England Test team by then, his FC game is improving fast.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Clarke as skipper for the team - at least according to what Aussies have said.

Katich has less than 20 Tests too. My XI:

Strauss
de Villiers
*Clarke
Hamish Marshall
Pietersen
Katich
+McCullum
S Jones
Tait
Edwards
Shane Bond

Last edited:

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
An interesting thread.

Bond would walk straight in there.

Tait? I don't believe he has played a test :p

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Strauss
De Villiers
Bell
Clarke
Pietersen
Collingwood
McCullum
Pathan
S Jones
Enamul Jnr
Bond

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see the justification for putting Bell in there above Katich myself. Limiting myself only to those who have actually played test cricket...

AB De Villiers
Andrew Strauss
Simon Katich
Hamish Marshall
Michael Clarke
Kevin Pietersen
Brendon McCullum
Irfan Pathan
Shane Bond
Simon Jones
Lasith Malinga

Malinga makes it due to a lack of other options really. Tait hasn't played a test, and there's no really promising spinners with under 20 tests.

Blaze

Banned
FaaipDeOiad said:
AB De Villiers
Andrew Strauss
Simon Katich
Hamish Marshall
Michael Clarke
Kevin Pietersen
Brendon McCullum
Irfan Pathan
Shane Bond
Simon Jones
Lasith Malinga

That would be quite a useful side

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
A better bet would be Clarke being above Katich in the pecking order.
Katich bats at 3 for NSW, and for Australia in India with success. Don't know why Clarke would bat above him.