• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"20 Caps and Under" XI

shaka

International Regular
by pecking order i meant being chosen in the team, at the end of the Ashes series, Katich would be on 21 tests if he plays tests 4 and 5.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
Can't see the justification for putting Bell in there above Katich myself. Limiting myself only to those who have actually played test cricket...

AB De Villiers
Andrew Strauss
Simon Katich
Hamish Marshall
Michael Clarke
Kevin Pietersen
Brendon McCullum
Irfan Pathan
Shane Bond
Simon Jones
Lasith Malinga

Malinga makes it due to a lack of other options really. Tait hasn't played a test, and there's no really promising spinners with under 20 tests.
I guess no young spinner holds much promise, seeing there is none in your side.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:
James Anderson would have been a lock for this a couple of years ago.

How the mighty have fallen.
He'll be back. He just needs to mature a bit.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
I guess no young spinner holds much promise, seeing there is none in your side.
I'm sure there are some that do, but not any I can think of who have played tests, but not 20 of them. Murali Kartik isn't bad, but hasn't done enough to warrant inclusion in this side imo, same with Herath from Sri Lanka. Kaneria has played 23 tests or something, Cullen from Australia has never played a test, nobody really stands out from England, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies or Zimbabwe. Enamul Haque Jnr seems decent, but the same thing applies as with Kartik and Herath.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
i'd certainly have him in the side above Pathan or Malinga
Well maybe, but that leaves the bowling a bit weak. I suppose he could be there instead of Clarke, but he doesn't really warrant it with his batting imo.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Just to make things clear guys, uncapped players are eligible - I didn't make it very clear, but I did put "players who are just starting or about to start their Test careers" in the bit before I named my team. That's why I put Tait in there.

And the reason I didn't pick Hussey, Katich, Collingwood, van Jaarsveld, Hall etc is because I was originally going to call it a "Promising Players XI" but realised I'd have to put some restrictions on it, and decided to do it on Tests played rather than age. All of these would be in contention, but over the next few years the likes of Hussey and Hall may fade away from consideration for Test teams as they age.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
In that case then...

Michael Hussey
Andrew Strauss
Simon Katich
Hamish Marshall
Michael Clarke
Kevin Pietersen
Brendon McCullum
Irfan Pathan
Shane Bond
Shaun Tait
Simon Jones

Alternatively, drop McCullum for a more reliable batsman (probably Brad Haddin, or even Matt Prior), move the keeper up to 6 and slot in Shahid Afridi at number 7... I guess at the expense of Katich, since he's probably a bit too proven and a bit too old for a "promising players" XI anyway.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I guess at the expense of Katich, since he's probably a bit too proven and a bit too old for a "promising players" XI anyway.
That's why I didn't include him in the first place. I'm discounting players who have already proven themselves.

And if you're now choosing young players Faaip, why choose Hussey? He's quality, but isn't he the wrong side of 30 already? Correct me if I'm wrong, I usually am.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Thirty is young.

You forget - this is Australia. Remember how old their Test side is...
Indeed - watching them field today I could have sworn I could see them visibly going grey.

tooextracool

International Coach
id think this would make a good test side:

AB Devilliers
hamish marshall
michael clarke
asim kamal(cant believe that no one has him yet)
kevin pietersen
simon katich
brendon mccullum
upul chandana(for lack of a better spinner in the world)
simon jones
shane bond
darren powell

narsingh deonarine

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
That's why I didn't include him in the first place. I'm discounting players who have already proven themselves.

And if you're now choosing young players Faaip, why choose Hussey? He's quality, but isn't he the wrong side of 30 already? Correct me if I'm wrong, I usually am.
Yeah, but he doesn't have the proven element. I left Katich out because, although he's played under 20 tests, he's both an established part of a test side and not particularly young. Feel free to replace Hussey with Phil Jaques or AB De Villiers though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You would put Matt Prior in for McCullum when Prior has not played a single test? lol.