Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: 5 Top cricketers in each country's history. Test and ODI's.

  1. #1
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,079

    5 Top cricketers in each country's history. Test and ODI's.

    This is tough but mine are (in no order).......

    AUSTRALIA....

    TEST
    Don Bradman
    Shane Warne
    Dennis Lillee
    Keith Miller
    Glenn Mcgrath

    ODI
    Micheal Bevan
    Shane Warne
    Glenn Mcgrath
    Dean Jones
    Adam Gilchrist

    ENGLAND.....

    TEST
    Jack Hobbs
    Wally Hammond
    Sydney Barnes
    Ian Botham
    Fred Trueman

    ODI
    Marcus Trescothick
    Andrew Flintoff
    Graeme Hick
    Darren Gough
    Allan Lamb

    NEW ZEALAND.....

    TEST
    Richard Hadlee
    Martin Crowe
    Glenn Turner
    Chris Cairns
    Jack Cowie

    ODI
    Richard Hadlee
    Chris Cairns
    Martin Crowe
    Nathan Astle
    Shane Bond (even if in a short time)

    PAKISTAN.....

    TEST
    Imran Khan
    Javed Miandad
    Wasim Akram
    Waqar Younis
    Inzamam-ul-haq

    ODI
    Imran Khan
    Javed Miandad
    Wasim Akram
    Waqar Younis
    Saeed Anwar


    INDIA.......

    TEST
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Sunil Gavaskar
    Kapil Dev
    Rahul Dravid
    Anil Kumble

    ODI
    Sachin Tendulkar
    Kapil Dev
    Sourav Ganguly
    Virender Sehwag
    Anil Kumble

    SOUTH AFRICA

    TEST (i'm trying to ignore the fact that some great players only had a handful of games)

    Graeme Pollock
    Jacques Kallis
    Shaun Pollock
    Allan Donald
    Barry Richards

    ODI
    Lance Klusener
    Shaun Pollock
    Jacques Kallis
    Allan Donald
    Herschelle Gibbs

    WEST INDIES.....

    TEST
    Gary Sobers
    Brian Lara
    Malcolm Marshall
    Viv Richards
    Curtly Ambrose

    ODI
    Viv Richards
    Brian Lara
    Joel Garner
    Curtly Ambrose
    Desmond Haynes

    SRILANKA....

    TEST
    Aravinda De Silva
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Sanath Jayasuriya
    Chaminda Vaas
    Marvan Attapatu

    ODI
    Muttiah Muralitharan
    Chaminda Vaas
    Sanath Jayasuriya
    Aravinda De Silva
    Arjuna Ranatunga



    Thats tough to select....leaving guys out like S Waugh and G Chappell for Aust or John Reid and Bert Sutcliffe for NZ or even Hutton and Sutcliffe for Eng.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Dont think Lillee deserves to be there.
    Would pick Davidson ahead of him.
    Also, dont think Barnes belongs in that group...would pick Laker ahead of him.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    I will just select Tests, as I do not give a toss about ODI Not in order. Just off the top of my head. So, sorry if spelling is incorrect.

    Australia
    Bradman
    O'Reilly
    Lillee
    Miller
    GSC

    England
    Hobbs
    Barnes
    Hammond
    Lohmann
    FS Jackson

    Windies
    Headley
    Richards
    Sobers
    Marshall
    Lara

    Sth Africa
    Tayfield
    G Pollock
    Nourse jnr
    Faulkner
    Donald

    India
    Gavaskar
    Tendulkar
    Dravid
    Mankad
    Dev

    Pakistan
    Imran Khan
    Miandad
    Fazal Mahmood
    Wasim Akram
    Hanif Mohammond

    N.Z
    Hadlee
    Turner
    Crowe (m)
    Suttcliffe
    Reid (captain in the 60s)
    Last edited by archie mac; 13-08-2005 at 01:22 AM.
    You know it makes sense.

  4. #4
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,079
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I will just select Tests, as I do not give a toss about ODI Not in order. Just off the top of my head. So, sorry if spelling is incorrect.

    Australia
    Bradman
    O'Reilly
    Lillee
    Miller
    GSC

    England
    Hobbs
    Barnes
    Hammond
    Lohmann
    FS Jackson

    Windies
    Headley
    Richards
    Sobers
    Marshall
    Lara

    Sth Africa
    Tayfield
    G Pollock
    Nourse jnr
    Faulkner
    Donald

    India
    Gavaskar
    Tendulkar
    Dravid
    Mankad
    Dev

    Pakistan
    Imran Khan
    Miandad
    Fazal Mahmood
    Wasim Akram
    Hanif Mohammond

    N.Z
    Hadlee
    Turner
    Crowe (m)
    Suttcliffe
    Reid (captain in the 60s)
    O'reilly ahead of warne aye??


  5. #5
    Global Moderator Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    This is tough but mine are (in no order).......
    ...
    NEW ZEALAND.....

    TEST
    Richard Hadlee
    Martin Crowe
    Glenn Turner
    Chris Cairns
    Jack Cowie

    ODI
    Richard Hadlee
    Chris Cairns
    Martin Crowe
    Nathan Astle
    Shane Bond (even if in a short time)
    ...
    Thoughts?
    I certainly wouldn't have Jack Cowie in the top test best, that fifth spot is a toss up between Stephen Fleming and Bert Sutcliffe IMO. But I have to agree with the other nine selections you've made.

  6. #6
    Global Moderator Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    O'reilly ahead of warne aye??
    Hmmm...very interesting selection there, why have you have left Warne out in favour of O'Reilly?

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    O'reilly ahead of warne aye??
    No contest as far as I was concerned.

  8. #8
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,909
    I'd need to think about it properly (and I'm slightly hungover....) for my full list, but for England the first name I thought of was WG. Without the good doctor who knows where cricket would be?

    For Oz I'd also be tempted to include SRW. I am biased 'cos I'm a huge admirer, but I think he was a supreme competitor & a crashingly good bloke too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  9. #9
    International Coach Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    11,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerset
    I certainly wouldn't have Jack Cowie in the top test best, that fifth spot is a toss up between Stephen Fleming and Bert Sutcliffe IMO. But I have to agree with the other nine selections you've made.
    Interesting. Fleming would be 7th or 8th for me. His famous poor conversion rate of 100s counts against him for me. In fact I'd still even have John wright slightly ahead of Flem in test matches given his 12 test hundreds and less tests than Flemings 8 and close to indentical batting average.

    The reason I went for Cowie as he single handedly carried the NZ bowling at a time when we aere the whipping boys of cricket and still managed a test bowling average of 21. Sutcliffe and J R Reid were close.

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,102
    Largely agree, although I think Greg Chappell deserves a place for Australia, maybe at the expense of Miller. Tough call.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I'd need to think about it properly (and I'm slightly hungover....) for my full list, but for England the first name I thought of was WG. Without the good doctor who knows where cricket would be?

    For Oz I'd also be tempted to include SRW. I am biased 'cos I'm a huge admirer, but I think he was a supreme competitor & a crashingly good bloke too.
    WG was the greatest Cricketer ever in my opinion, but came into Test Cricket a little late. So I left him out.

  12. #12
    Global Moderator Somerset's Avatar
    Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    9,863
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12
    Interesting. Fleming would be 7th or 8th for me. His famous poor conversion rate of 100s counts against him for me. In fact I'd still even have John wright slightly ahead of Flem in test matches given his 12 test hundreds and less tests than Flemings 8 and close to indentical batting average.

    The reason I went for Cowie as he single handedly carried the NZ bowling at a time when we aere the whipping boys of cricket and still managed a test bowling average of 21. Sutcliffe and J R Reid were close.
    Fair point about Cowie - obviously the job was never easy with the support around but I'd prefer someone with a great record than someone who, although performed decently in his day, didn't experience so much success.

  13. #13
    International Regular Beleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,437
    Pakistan:

    Tests:

    Imran Khan
    Wasim Akram
    Miandad
    Inzamam
    Hanif Mohammad

    ODI's:

    Inzamam
    Wasim
    Saeed
    Waqar
    Miandad


    England:

    Tests -

    1. Jack Hobbs
    2. Denis Compton
    3. Freddie Trueman
    4. W. G. Grace
    5. Wally Hammond

    ODI's:

    1. Allan Lamb
    2. Darren Gough
    3. Ian Botham
    4. Robin Smith
    5. Stewart

    Australia:

    Tests:

    Don Bradman
    Neil Harvey
    Greg Chappell
    Shane Warne
    Glen McGrath

    ODI's:

    1. Steve Waugh
    2. Shane Warne
    3. Michael Bevan
    4. Ricky Ponting
    5. Adam Gilchrist


    India:

    Tests:

    1. Sunil Gavaskar
    2. Sachin Tendulkar
    3. Kapil Dev
    4. Bedi
    5. Dravid


    ODI's:

    1. Tendulkar
    2. Dravid
    3. Azharudin
    4. Ganguly
    5. Kapil Dev

    WI:

    Test -

    1. Brian Lara
    2. Gary Sobers
    3. Malcolm Marshall
    4. Clive Lloyd
    5. Viv Richards

    (truly, the above was the most difficult choice of all - so many great players - Worell, Ambrose, Holding, Kanhai etc)

    ODI's:

    1. Lara
    2. Lloyd
    3. Marshall
    4. Viv Richards
    5. Des Haynes


    NZ:

    Test -

    1. Crowe
    2. Turner
    3. Sutcliffe
    4. Hadley
    5. Reid

    ODI's:

    1. Astle
    2. Cairns
    3. Hadley
    4. Flemming
    5. Crowe

    Sri-Lanka:

    Tests:

    1. Ranatunga
    2. De Silva
    3. Jayasuria
    4. Muralitharan
    5. Atapatu

    ODI's:

    1. Ranatunga
    2. De Silva
    3. Vaas
    4. Muralitharan
    5. Jayasuria

    South Africa:

    Tests:

    1. Barry Richards
    2. Allan Donald
    3. Greame Pollock
    4. Kallis
    5. Mike Proctor

    ODI's:

    1. Cronje
    2. Rhodes
    3. Donald
    4. Kirsten
    5. Kallis

  14. #14
    International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    3,043
    steve waugh for one dayers.... umm dont think so

  15. #15
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    131
    Hanif Mohommed deserves to be in place of Inzamam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. CW Players A-Z
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Development League
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
  3. Test matches vs ODIs
    By cricnewbye in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 28-01-2005, 07:15 AM
  4. test matches vs ODIs
    By cricnewbye in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26-01-2005, 06:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •