• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist

vladiator

Cricket Spectator
What do you think happened to him? It seems he cannot get any runs. Is England's bowling so good, or is he going through bad period?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's not the first time Gilchrist has gone a few games without a score, and he did play quite well in the first innings at Edgbaston. Flintoff certainly troubles him and England have been bowling around the wicket to him constantly to cramp him for room, but he'll come good eventually.

howardj

International Coach
He can't be the hero all the time. This year he's averaging about 80. While he's been below par this series, he's still averaging 30. It's the top six who are culpable.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
It's not the first time Gilchrist has gone a few games without a score, and he did play quite well in the first innings at Edgbaston. Flintoff certainly troubles him and England have been bowling around the wicket to him constantly to cramp him for room, but he'll come good eventually.
I think I've raised this somewhere before, but actually bowling around the wicket in an orthodox pattern doesn't really have that much of an effect on him. It's with Freddy, who leans way to the right and ends up releasing it almost at the point that a Left Arm Over bowler would when he has troubles.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
I think I've raised this somewhere before, but actually bowling around the wicket in an orthodox pattern doesn't really have that much of an effect on him. It's with Freddy, who leans way to the right and ends up releasing it almost at the point that a Left Arm Over bowler would when he has troubles.
Well for sure, and it's also the fact that Flintoff is extremely accurate and gets significant seam movement that bothers him. He's certainly been bowled to around the wicket plenty of times in the past and done perfectly well. Either way I still expect a good innings from him some time in the series.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
With the aggressive nature he plays in, Gilchrist is bound to go through periods where he fails to score over a few matches - together with some persistent English bowling of course, which definitely has had a result.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
I think we need to give credit to the english bowling......they are doing everything according to a certain plan!!! Its almost 3 tests now and NO australian batsman has yet got a century.....it shows they are bowling very well indeed.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
godofcricket said:
I think we need to give credit to the english bowling......they are doing everything according to a certain plan!!! Its almost 3 tests now and NO australian batsman has yet got a century.....it shows they are bowling very well indeed.
To be fair, only one Englishman has made a century, and that player was bowled off a no-ball, as well as put down after a regulation edge...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well for sure, and it's also the fact that Flintoff is extremely accurate and gets significant seam movement that bothers him. He's certainly been bowled to around the wicket plenty of times in the past and done perfectly well. Either way I still expect a good innings from him some time in the series.
I seriously thought it was gonna be in the first innings yesterday. Giving a player with his ability to take a game away from the oppo two lives coulda been fatal. I jumped (literally) when Jonesy (or rather Jones + Jones) got him relatively cheaply.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Somerset said:
To be fair, only one Englishman has made a century, and that player was bowled off a no-ball, as well as put down after a regulation edge...
Well u can find many excuses but the point i was trying to make is obvious, australian bowling is top-class, no doubt, and has been for a long time, they dont allow easy runs.......but u have to give credit to the english bowling aswell, no australian batsman has scored a century isnt everything about their form, its mostly about how well england has bowled.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Going through a rough patch
something of the sort but you have to give credit to Freddie he has exposed a weakness in Gilchrist that i think only Flintooff can do, but it isn't the first time he hasn't made runs 2001 in India & between the 1st test of the 2003/04 home series againts India to the 1st test vs SRI until he came back with a bang with that shot filled 144 in Kandy, dont worry lads England will get a taste of that soon. :D

King_Ponting

International Regular
aussie said:
something of the sort but you have to give credit to Freddie he has exposed a weakness in Gilchrist that i think only Flintooff can do, but it isn't the first time he hasn't made runs 2001 in India & between the 1st test of the 2003/04 home series againts India to the 1st test vs SRI until he came back with a bang with that shot filled 144 in Kandy, dont worry lads England will get a taste of that soon. :D
Yep flintoff played in the one dayer gilly got his ton in so just needs a bit more good luck and he'll come good.