• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Attention SCG Members

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know how many of you there are at CW

Anyway, as a member of the SCG ( I'm not a snob btw ), I recently received info regarding the Super Series. Basically to get a decent seat you need to buy a ticket for a reserved seat or line up at 5am. And if you leave your seat you have to put a sticker on it and you only get one sticker a day.

I feel jipped and that the Trust has too many members. Being a member is stupid when getting a seat is like a competition whereas the general admission have a reserved seat all day and can show up at anytime. What is the advanatge for us members ?

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:

Anyway, as a member of the SCG ( I'm not a snob btw ), I recently received info regarding the Super Series. Basically to get a decent seat you need to buy a ticket for a reserved seat or line up at 5am. And if you leave your seat you have to put a sticker on it and you only get one sticker a day.

I feel jipped and that the Trust has too many members. Being a member is stupid when getting a seat is like a competition whereas the general admission have a reserved seat all day and can show up at anytime. What is the advanatge for us members ?
Can you go to Swans matches free? (I know you like the no neck game :p)

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
archie mac said:
Can you go to Swans matches free? (I know you like the no neck game :p)
Well, you pay the membership fee and can go to any sporting event there for free on the day. So yes basically.

And i'll have you know I also like the Mexican game ... finally St Kilda look good after a few poor seasons since making the GF in 97 I beleive it was

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
burkey_1988 said:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe getting into all the other matches cheap/free? (I'm not sure how it works up there)

That reminds me of the guy who wrote into the Herald Sun whinging about having to pay $20 for the Tsunami game, because he paid his membership fee at the start of the year and thought that the $20 should have come out of that.

Admittedly, he wrote in afterwards talking about how fantastic a match it was, and saying that the contention of his previous letter was misplaced.

Simply, it's a special event and special rules apply. And (I'm guessing that you're a junior member) you know who would not be getting memberships if you believe that "the Trust has too many members"? Juniors.

And you don't think that getting a seat is like competition - even moreso! - for those in general admission in the first place?

But you're right as rain about that sticker thing, that's utter hogwash.

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
Well, you pay the membership fee and can go to any sporting event there for free on the day. So yes basically.

And i'll have you know I also like the Mexican game ... finally St Kilda look good after a few poor seasons since making the GF in 97 I beleive it was
Yes the Saints look the goods (even though I wrote them off earlier in the season) I also enjoy the game of thugs. Go the 'Green Machine"

Better mention the Cricket or James will be upset. I can't believe this match will gain official Test status. What about the World team that visited England in the late 60s and Oz in the early 70s?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, at the SCG all general public seats are reserved all day, so there is no competition for them

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shounak said:
I've always known the word as jibbed. Not jipped.
It's meant to be gypped and is a racial term that relates to gypsies having the reputation of tricking people out of their money. Of course, it's evolved now, and most people don't know of the racial origins of the term.

Dydl

International Debutant
burkey_1988 said:

I bought a ticket ages ago!! :D Are you going to go to any more matches as a member, or have a strike against the public admission's reserved seats :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
It's meant to be gypped and is a racial term that relates to gypsies having the reputation of tricking people out of their money. Of course, it's evolved now, and most people don't know of the racial origins of the term.
Hey, good post. I knew about the spelling, but not about the origins.

Shounak

Banned
Dasa said:
Nicely done.

But I decided to consult another source, Google.

The definitions here astound me, only one of them come close Yanks!

A more trusty source also disagree's, Dictionary.com .

jib ( P ) Pronunciation Key (jb)
intr.v. jibbed, jib·bing, jibs
To stop short and turn restively from side to side; balk.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Origin unknown.]
And another site came up trumps

think about the chicks he's jibbed
--
This one word has left me etymologically challenged..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
The term now is Gillespied

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Dydl said:
I bought a ticket ages ago!! :D Are you going to go to any more matches as a member, or have a strike against the public admission's reserved seats :p
I'll go as a member, but a disgruntled member who shall be writing a letter of complaint

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
burkey_1988 said:

Isnt that the same with all major events under the Trust's control?

My parents have had Gold family memberships for about 20 years and they are a real waste of time. Your not guaranteed a seat, have to pay for major events, and they've even been talking about taking the cricket to Telstra Stadium.

When in Sydney, unless I can prevail upon one of my mates for corporate seats, I dont even bother going and certainly dont consider using my family's rights.

It really used to **** me off how members have to line up and pay for seats (on top of fees), and members area is generally full of hangers-on on freebies in the best seats (much like myself nowadays :D )