• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When do you think Warne will retire?

I'm hoping he goes on for a few more years yet but I am weary of whether he might make another spontaneous decision & go out on a high like seemed possible after WC99. Can you see that happening any time soon?

Over the past two years I believe the stats indicate that he has been bowling better than ever, which I found quite surprising. He has reached his last two 100 wicket milestones in fewer than any of the others.

One goal I would like for him to achieve is to outlast Mcgrath, probably insurung he gets to keep the Australian test wickets record for what will certainly be quite some time.

maybe, like he says, the year off will have extended his longevity by giving him a chance to recupirate from the accumalating wear and tear.

I also hope he comes out of ODI retirement to participate in the next world cup. There is some talk that he might.

What do you lovely fellow's think about his future in the game of cricket?

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he'll play until the next World Cup at least with a return to ODIs almost a lock.

social said:
I think he'll play until the next World Cup at least with a return to ODIs almost a lock.
Do you think he will only return solely for the world cup and not until or at some time before?

If not, Will the selectors go for that sort of prefferential treatment over the need for a consistent preperation and build up with consistent selections?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think he'll retire, along with McGrath and Gilchrist after the Sydney Ashes test in 2006/07, and the 2007 World Cup.

howardj

International Coach
Just a hunch, but I reckon he will go home to his family and, if his wife will take him back, offer to quit international cricket on the spot.

Mister Wright

howardj said:
Just a hunch, but I reckon he will go home to his family and, if his wife will take him back, offer to quit international cricket on the spot.
That is a very realistic option. If not I'm with FaaipDeOiad - he'll retire after the next home Ashes series.

howardj

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
That is a very realistic option. .
For sure it is. Ever since his break-up, he's been saying that when he retires depends very much on his personal life. I've got no doubt that he'd quit international cricket if he can get his family back together. He'd still honour his remaining three years with Hampshire though.

Mister Wright

howardj said:
For sure it is. Ever since his break-up, he's been saying that when he retires depends very much on his personal life. I've got no doubt that he'd quit international cricket if he can get his family back together. He'd still honour his remaining three years with Hampshire though.
If his wife agrees. Although it would be stupid of her to take him back, he has repeated the same mistakes continually.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Shane Warne said:
I'm hoping he goes on for a few more years yet.

Over the past two years I believe the stats indicate that he has been bowling better than ever, which I found quite surprising. He has reached his last two 100 wicket milestones in fewer than any of the others.

One goal I would like for him to achieve is to outlast Mcgrath, probably insurung he gets to keep the Australian test wickets record for what will certainly be quite some time.

maybe, like he says, the year off will have extended his longevity by giving him a chance to recupirate from the accumalating wear and tear.

I also hope he comes out of ODI retirement to participate in the next world cup. There is some talk that he might.

What do you lovely fellow's think about his future in the game of cricket?

Fitness pending i could see that the 2007 WC will be the swansong for McGrath and possibly the 2006-2007 Ashes in Australia for Warne if he doesnt make a comeback in the WC.

Craig

World Traveller
If Gilchrist, McGrath, and Warne will go/or likely to go after the Sydney Ashes Test in 06/07 what price you would have on Hayden, Langer, and maybe Martyn to all hang up the boots around that time? Then Australia potentially face losing 6 key players in one foul swoop in all in that time frame? And the likes of Katich and Gillespie will be no spring chickens either.

I hope the Australian selectors have that in mind and have some good enough replacements in mind.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
If his wife agrees. Although it would be stupid of her to take him back, he has repeated the same mistakes continually.
I don't know so much. Maybe this time he'll finally get the message.

If it's txted to him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think he'll retire, along with McGrath and Gilchrist after the Sydney Ashes test in 2006/07, and the 2007 World Cup.
Yea i have the gut feeling has well, then when the World Cup is over a new exciting generation of Australian willl be born.... :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
If not, Will the selectors go for that sort of prefferential treatment over the need for a consistent preperation and build up with consistent selections?
I wouldn't have thought they would, to be honest.

social

howardj said:
No chance - watch the women's mags for an update on his wife's personal life though.