• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tardy over rates in the Ashes

C_C

International Captain
Will either side get fined or will the umpires, as usual, turn a blind eye ?
In the first test, England and Australia were both adrift of the over rate.
Didnt follow the second test, so dont know.
In this test so far, OZ had to use 30 extra minutes and still came an over short ( scheduled close is at 5:30, play continued till 6:00 pm).

simmy

International Regular
Shocking really considering there were no real injuries and there was spin at both ends for a while.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Over rates are a problem the world over.

No doubt the fines will be issued providing that any extenuating circumstances are taken into account (ie lots of wickets/physio trips to the middle)

C_C

International Captain
There was one physio trip out to the middle today, when Strauss got conked and only 5 wickets fell...yet OZ were over 30 min late.

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think I have seen so many, captain- bowler conferences. Ponting and Warne had four in one over, and that was just after lunch. You think they would have worked out the field during the break.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Over rates are a problem the world over.
Really ?? I thought it existed only with Sourav Ganguly. 8-)

No doubt the fines will be issued providing that any extenuating circumstances are taken into account (ie lots of wickets/physio trips to the middle)
:laugh: :laugh:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
well more batsmen have been getting hit than usual, but not that many more ;)

apparently the over rates in the womens ashes have been quite impressive

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It truly is appalling that it takes on average more than 4 minutes to get through an over.

You only have to fine the captain 20% of his match fee for EVERY over that is outstanding at the end of scheduled play (note: not the half hour's 'grace') and the problem will be on its way to being solved.

Alternatively (or in addition) do the same as they did in the Twenty20 - an extra six runs added to the total for each over shy.

archie mac

International Coach
When I played Cricket, I use to hate to miss out on any of my breaks. I think they should just eat into their lunch breaks and tea break. I bet they would hurry up then.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you guys like the rule where only an extra 30 mins is allowed ? What's the point of having the 90 over a day rule when they'll go off anyway ?

archie mac

International Coach
burkey_1988 said:
Do you guys like the rule where only an extra 30 mins is allowed ? What's the point of having the 90 over a day rule when they'll go off anyway ?
The threat of suspending the captain is the best idea. I think it can be to hard on the bowlers to have to bowl for more then an hour extra.

cameeel

International Captain
Still, the problems with over rates so far are nothing compared to the slow rates of the Indians, particularly under Sourav Ganguly

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Really ?? I thought it existed only with Sourav Ganguly. 8-)
No, in Tests it is a problem with every team.

Sanz said:
So you don't think for example Lords where the physio was out to look at batsmen 3 times in the first hour and 10 wickets fell in 2 session are extenuating circumstances?

King_Ponting

International Regular
C_C said:
Will either side get fined or will the umpires, as usual, turn a blind eye ?
In the first test, England and Australia were both adrift of the over rate.
Didnt follow the second test, so dont know.
In this test so far, OZ had to use 30 extra minutes and still came an over short ( scheduled close is at 5:30, play continued till 6:00 pm).

Of course because either team isnt indian 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Of course because either team isnt indian 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bingo.
Mate, historically ICC/MCC has taken a pro Aussie/English tilt to the proceedings.
If warney was black and in the 1950s, his 'pitch it into the rough and then get it to spin across the batsman' would've been promptly negated by altering the lbw rules ( which they actually did).

I suppose Inzamam getting extended attention on the field and the groundskeeper comming out several times to lay sawdust on the bowling runup is 'not extenuating circumstances'.... but Strauss getting conked and ponting talking to warney 3-4 times an over and wasting time is 'definately extenuating circumstances'.
8-) 8-)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ICC has a history of stuffing England as much as they possibly can and has an obvious Asian bias - the ICC themselves have pretty much admitted to this.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
The ICC has a history of stuffing England as much as they possibly can and has an obvious Asian bias - the ICC themselves have pretty much admitted to this.
ICC AKA Imperial Cricket Conference for close to 70 years has a history of Stuffing England and has an obvious Asian Bias. Wow Now I have heard it all. :lol: