• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tardy over rates in the Ashes

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:
INCORRECT.
Murali flexes more than McGrath ONLY for his doosra, which is still under various fast bowler's 'effort balls'.
Murali's flexion for his standard offspinner is UNDER McGrath's flexion.
Murali's doosra was the ball that was banned. Itwas recorded at 14 degrees

ICC then sets limit at 15 degrees.

An anomaly in your Euro-centric bias theory, just a happy coincidence for Murali or something more sinister?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
social said:

An anomaly in your Euro-centric bias theory, just a happy coincidence for Murali or something more sinister?
It's all a terrible conspiracy to keep the white man down!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shounak said:
Depends on the objective measurements, in terms of degrees of flexion.

ICC should just lay down an objective rule. But not something like 15 for everyone. I much prefer the previous rule (or is the current one) where the type of bowler has certain limits of flexion.
It made no practical sense to have different limits for different types of bowlers - it was simply unfair. Fast bowlers don't always have the quickest arm-speeds, bowlers like Murali, Warne et al have very quick arm speeds - how do you differentiate between them and say... a McGrath?
It only makes sense to have the current rule - the biomechanists have determined that upto 15 degrees is where flexion and such is inadvertent and the ICC have made rules to make it fair for ALL bowlers. This is one thing where the ICC have got it absolutely right - the old ideals were inherently unfair and relied on the fallibility of the human eye.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I got my info from newspapers. McGrath and Gillespie were supposed to flex it upto 12 and 11 degrees, but I am not sure who flexed it 11 degrees and who flexed it 12. Murali's doosra earlier was reported to be 14 degree flexed. So I said the bit about 3 degrees. Anyways, I definitely think the new rule is better. It is all in black and white now, instead of the huge grey areas that remained earlier.

C_C

International Captain
social said:

Incorrect.
Murali's doosra was recorded between 13 and 14 degrees.
So were the effort balls of McGrath and Akhtar.
The 15 degree rule was set because most bowlers flex around that limit when bowling their effort balls.
And the 'eurocentric bias' is not a theory, it is categoric fact in the history of cricket.

C_C

International Captain
Craig said:
Don't give me any of that.

So if S-hoaib is a chucker then so is Lee?
Not necessarily.
But if Shoaib's action is checked out, while it is no less suspect than Lee's, it speaks of protectionism of Lee. Nothing else.
For Lee was never made to go through biomechanical tests, despite murmurs about his action.

I would never, ever has guessed this. Where'd you get the data from?
The data is available through the UWA website.