• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congrat's Sanath Jayasuriya, 10000 Runs

Legglancer

State Regular
Sanath Jayasuriya scales 10,000

George Binoy

August 9, 2005

Sanath Jayasuriya, close on Sourav Ganguly's heels, has become the fourth batsman to amass 10,000 runs in one-day cricket. Had a dislocated shoulder not forced him out of the fourth match of the Indian Oil Cup when Ganguly (10,020 runs) scored his 10,000th run, we might have been witness to the unique event of two great contemporary batsmen reaching the 10,000 run milestone in the same match.

Jayasuriya, nicknamed the Matara Marauder for his ruthless hitting, may not bat with the elegance and class of a Sachin Tendulkar (13,642 runs) or an Inzamam-ul-Haq (10,933 runs), the other two batsmen to have achieved the milestone, but in terms of sheer effectiveness in one-day cricket, Jayasuriya has few peers.

After making his ODI debut in 1989, Jayasuriya's career seemed to be going nowhere for many years. He managed just 1669 runs in 87 innings at a measly average of 19.64 up to 1996. We were given a warning of what was to come in the Benson & Hedges World Series in Australia in 1995-96, when Jayasuriya and Romesh Kaluwitharana changed the way the first 15 overs of an ODI are played with their frenzied hitting. Jayasuriya could not have chosen a more fitting stage than the World Cup in 1996 to announce his arrival. Adjudged Man of the Tournament, Jayasuriya put bowling attacks to the sword and raised the bar from 250 being a winning score to 280 being a defendable one. Since 1996 he has been rampant in his run-making with 8331 runs in 241 innings at 36.65. It was this accelerated scoring that gave added importance to the batsman's strike rate. Jayasuriya's is very impressive at 88.54.

An argument about one-day cricket's best batsmen may not include Jayasuriya. But not many will find reason to omit him from the list of one-day cricket's most valuable players. Leave aside that mammoth total of 10,000 runs. Jayasuriya also has a commendable haul of 267 ODI wickets. A ranking of fourth in the list of highest run-scorers in ODIs and 12th among highest wicket-takers, Jayasuriya, one would argue, is easily one the game's most valuable gems.

Legglancer

State Regular
Whats so great about him is that He managed to score 10000 runs at such a high strike rate Which makes this feat all the more impressive.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to Sanath, great effort. It's amazing how all four of the 10,000+ club are from the subcontinent currently. Shows how much more ODI cricket way played there in the mid to late 90s than anywhere else, I suppose.

You'd expect Lara or Ponting to be the first non-subcontinent players to get there I guess, depending on how much ODI cricket Lara plays in the future. Lara needs 700, Ponting 1800, and Dravid 1800 as well.

shaka

International Regular
Well done Jayasuriya, been great watching you bat over the years and look forward to more of the same.

Isn't it amazing the Ganguly and Jayasuriya reached the milestone at the Indianoil tri series?

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
Isn't it amazing the Ganguly and Jayasuriya reached the milestone at the Indianoil tri series?
Even more amazing, is we had the equivalent scenario in the test series in March last year, where both Murali and Warne reached 500 wickets. And we'll have Warne hitting 600 and McGrath 500 in the same series this Ashes. Pretty bizarre.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congrats Sanath, and please find some other team to pick on and leave us INdians alone. You have scored enough against us. :(

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats Sanath !! While I remember with great fondness and cherish your great batting that won us the World Cup in 1996 with others, I am not so sure you will last unto the next World Cup and I just hope ( I pray ) that the Coach, selectors etc. are conscious of this fact and are actually thinking ahead like me and have strategies to bring in younger players with this in mind !!

* I just hope and pray they are ahead of me in terms of thinking along these lines*

But any way Congrats on reaching 10,000 you have served Sri Lanka well, and I will cherish the memories of your lusty hitting on various occassions that made me proud to be a Sri Lankan !! :happy: :happy:

dinu23

International Debutant
congrats Sanath! I hope we can find a good opener when ur gone. I hope u'll continue till the next world cup.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Legglancer said:
Whats so great about him is that He managed to score 10000 runs at such a high strike rate Which makes this feat all the more impressive.
He revolutionised the art of OD opening

Legglancer

State Regular
crickhowell said:
He revolutionised the art of OD opening
Also he is a very compassionate Human Being, In spite of his aggresive batting he is a real gentle, Humble person, always helping the poor, downtrodden, generous to a fault .... an example and a role model for all young people ! :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Also his wonderful fitness levels and the fact that he is a more than useful bowler, esp. in ODIs and a really good fielder in the deep. He is a star who doesn't take his place for granted. Something I hope the Indians can learn from.....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Legglancer said:
Also he is a very compassionate Human Being, In spite of his aggresive batting he is a real gentle, Humble person, always helping the poor, downtrodden, generous to a fault .... an example and a role model for all young people ! :)
Couldn't agree more. One of the nicest blokes in cricket. Well deserved 10,000. He is a champion.

Legglancer

State Regular
Sanz said:
Couldn't agree more. One of the nicest blokes in cricket. Well deserved 10,000. He is a champion.
I personally know of incidents where he has helped people and requested them not to reveal that that the doner was him ..... he helps individuals in dire need and organisations without looking for publicity as opposed to some others.