• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

england 2nd XI?

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
outside the current first XI who is englands best second XI?

my ill informed choices :D

joyce
shafayat
key
butcher
solanki
collingwood
prior
tremlett
andersen
batty
ali

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Robert Key
2. Ed Smith
3. Mark Butcher
4. Ed Joyce
5. Owais Shah
6. Paul Collingwood
7. Matt Prior / Chris Read
8. Gareth Batty
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. James Anderson

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Prince EWS said:
1. Robert Key
2. Ed Smith
3. Mark Butcher
4. Ed Joyce
5. Owais Shah
6. Paul Collingwood
8. Gareth Batty
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. James Anderson
i might stick Solank ahead of Smith for the opener slot & Keedy/Swann ahead of Batty but other than that i agree with this side....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
aussie said:
i might stick Solank ahead of Smith for the opener slot & Keedy/Swann ahead of Batty but other than that i agree with this side....
Solanki opening in a test match would be a disaster!

And as much as I would prefer Keedy, Batty is next in line.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Batty nick off you may aswell play 4 quiks batty can bowl about as good off spin as mark waugh could i wouldnt piok him in a first grade side in new southw ales grade competetion. Butcher should be playing for England rite now instead of bell and vaughny should be batting at 4 trescothick is a fluke how he average 45 at test level still amazes me my england second 11 wouldnt have owais shah cmon how many ears can u wait for one guy to develop.
1.Powell from glamorgan
2.Ed smith
3.Butcher
4Collingwood
5.Solanki
6.Joyce
7.Read(Should be keeping for england anyway we wont get into teh arguement about teh aussie who was actually born in new guniea and couldnt dethrone healy or wade secombe at queensland and trusty bloody pommies give him a run.)I like the look of young wallace from glamorgan can anyone tell em a bit about him?
8.Wharf(Done well suprisingly)
9.Ali
10.Tremlet
11.Get a spinner for gods sake call back ian salisbury ahhaah nah not really justa joke/ could eb anyone otehrwise james kirtly james anderson what about richard jhonson where is he?

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
By the way rob key is a joke there is now way he should be playing test cricket. He unfit out of shape and he scored teh worst doyuble hundred i have ever seen in my life wait justin langers 223 against india in 1998 at the scg was easily the worst well teh seond worst double hundred ever on a featherbed of a wicket against a bwloe par windies attack bowling two lengths all mach full or short. Not much of a CV rob key. Find a new job.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
1. Robert Key
2.Mark Butcher*
3.Graham Thorpe
4.Graham Hick
5. Mark Ramprakash
6.Paul Collingwood
7.Chris Read+
8.Gareth Batty
9.James Kirtley
10.Kabir Ali
11.James Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jamee999 said:
1. Robert Key
2.Mark Butcher*
3.Graham Thorpe
4.Graham Hick
5. Mark Ramprakash
6.Paul Collingwood
7.Chris Read+
8.Gareth Batty
9.James Kirtley
10.Kabir Ali
11.James Anderson
Thorpe and Hick have retired.

Rampers might have as well, but Im not sure.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Prince EWS said:
1. Robert Key
2. Ed Smith
3. Mark Butcher
4. Ed Joyce
5. Owais Shah
6. Paul Collingwood
8. Gareth Batty
9. Chris Tremlett
10. Jon Lewis
11. James Anderson
that looks pretty much spot on to me, although i would always take read ahead of prior.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
1. Ali Cook
2. Ed Smith
3. Mark Butcher
4. Ed Joyce
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Owais Shah
7. Matt Prior
8. Monty Panesar
9. Martin Bicknell
10.Chris Tremlett
11.James Anderson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My 2nd XI:

Scott Newman
Ali Cook
Mark Butcher*
Ed Joyce
Owais Shah
Paul Collingwood
Matt Prior+
Graeme Swann
Liam Plunkett
Chris Tremlett
Andy Caddick

If Butch & Caddy are both a bit long in the tooth for 2nd XI duties I'd replace them with Fat Bob & Kabir Ali respectively. Cook to captain.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hick and Ramprakash are both playing county cricket this season...
but when picking an England A side we dont want to be looking at the old blokes like Hick & Ramprakash & Thorpe you got to pick players who would play in the future, similiar with Australia A dont want to be picking Elliot, Bevan etc....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i agree with that, no need to see any players like bicknell or to a lesser extent caddick in there either imo.