• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Philip Anthony Jaques

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Isn't Jaques a UK (or possibly EU) passport holder? When he was at Northants I don't think he was an overseas player, but he is now at Yorks so I guess he's nailed his colours firmly to the Oz mast.
Yeah, I think you were right there. There was a fair bit of controversy about it all before the start of last (English) season, IIRC, and I can't remember it properly - but I thought that he had to choose (Symonds-style) whether he wanted to be deemed as a player for England and undergo the qualification period, and not be counted as an international player, or stay with Aus and count as a county's international.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
well i'm going out on a limb when i say this CULLEN the best aussies off-spinner since Ashley Mallet....
FFS, you haven't even seen him bowl yet. 8-)

At least you know he'll be mentally strong. What, with all the ribbing he would have copped over the years about being a red-head, he could take any sledging handed out :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
Worst thing that ever happened to White's bowling was becoming captain.

Best thing that ever happened to White as a cricketer, however, was becoming captain.
seems so, before he became captain he did so well in the 2002 undr-19 WC & ppl were saying that the next Warne was born & i was looking foward to see how his bowling would progress in the Victorian side but not much has happened unfortunately :dry:

howardj

International Coach
aussie said:
2. Yep that does look frightening :D & did u see Cullen bowl anytime last season if yes how did he look???
Mate, he really gives the ball a 'rip'. I don't think an 'offie' - with a legitimate action - could turn it much more than he does. That he took a '5-for' at the Gabba and the WACA, tells you something. His best performances were actually away from the spin friendly Adelaide Oval. I know people have said that he's a 'one season wonder', but when you turn it like he does, and really through it up there, you'll consistently get wickets. Hope he doesn't play too much 50 over cricket though, which can tend to make off-spinners bowl flat (like Nathan Hauritz).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
FFS, you haven't even seen him bowl yet. 8-)

At least you know he'll be mentally strong. What, with all the ribbing he would have copped over the years about being a red-head, he could take any sledging handed out :p
HE's a red head, hmmmmm

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
seems so, before he became captain he did so well in the 2002 undr-19 WC & ppl were saying that the next Warne was born & i was looking foward to see how his bowling would progress in the Victorian side but not much has happened unfortunately :dry:
That was half his problem - he's a guy who bowls mostly with overspin, and very quick and flat. And because he bowls leggies, and is from Victoria, he's suddenly called the next Warne.

People forget he batted four and made hundred(s) in that WC as well, and IIRC his bowling - while good - wasn't all that outstanding.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
That was half his problem - he's a guy who bowls mostly with overspin, and very quick and flat. And because he bowls leggies, and is from Victoria, he's suddenly called the next Warne.

People forget he batted four and made hundred(s) in that WC as well, and IIRC his bowling - while good - wasn't all that outstanding.
well your a Victoria man so you should know, now that White doesn't seem has if he will be australia's next big leg-spinner how do you rate Casson's chances???

Monty

U19 Cricketer
nah the next big leggie will come from south australia and xavier doherty needs to do more work on his bowling but i agree on the hussey jaques partnership

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
aussie said:
well your a Victoria man so you should know, now that White doesn't seem has if he will be australia's next big leg-spinner how do you rate Casson's chances???
To tell you the truth, if the Australian selectors want to persevere with Watson as an all-rounder for the long term (and I'd say that, with them having watched Flintoff this series, it would remind them how much a fantastic all-rounder is worth to any side) then having a White-type of player bat at 7 wouldn't be the worst move in the world at all, providing a fair bit of flexibility.

And I haven't seen Casson bowl at all, so there's no way I could make a judgement there. All that I'll say is that left-arm wrist spin is the hardest art of bowling to master, IMO, because any bad ball is so much easier to dispose of when the ball is spinning in (as it will be to the majority of batsman). If Bradd Hogg were a right armer, I wouldn't be suprised to see him with much better career statistics.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And I haven't seen Casson bowl at all, so there's no way I could make a judgement there. All that I'll say is that left-arm wrist spin is the hardest art of bowling to master, IMO, because any bad ball is so much easier to dispose of when the ball is spinning in (as it will be to the majority of batsman). If Bradd Hogg were a right armer, I wouldn't be suprised to see him with much better career statistics.
Casson has one of the weirdest actions imaginable (imagine Simon Katich bowling whilst trying to do a cartwheel) and has a tendency towards inconsistency but good Lord, the man gives the ball a decent rip.

howardj

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
All that I'll say is that left-arm wrist spin is the hardest art of bowling to master, IMO, because any bad ball is so much easier to dispose of when the ball is spinning in (as it will be to the majority of batsman). .
Having said that, trying to play most of the balls to leg-side, does open up the LBW. To that end, umpires always seem to give more LBW's when a batsman is playing across the line, too. Anyway, the key for a 'china-man' is to bowl fairly full, maintain an off-stump line, and have a captain who will set fields accordingly - as you imply, drop short and you'll go the journey.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nathan Hauritz is a very good bowler and whoever said that playing too much 50 over cricket has made him bowl flatter has got it rite on. i did however think he bowled well in that amazing two day test match in india he took 3 wickets in teh first innings and 2 in teh second which were vvs laxman and tendulkar teh two who top scorers in the match. Which was a decent effort, dan cullen does give it a real rip but im afraid that batsman will get after him hard and he wont know how to deal with it as yet give a few a tours i just saw he was selected for OZ A and a few more domestic seasons and he will be able to come up with a plan to the laras and the gangullt of the world who relish coming down the track to offspinners who give the ball some air.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know I've said it but I can't help but drop names... my team mate in Shanghai was Beau Casson's older brother. How cool am I!?

King_Ponting

International Regular
Top_Cat said:
Casson has one of the weirdest actions imaginable (imagine Simon Katich bowling whilst trying to do a cartwheel) and has a tendency towards inconsistency but good Lord, the man gives the ball a decent rip.
Much like that "frog in a blender" bloke that played for South africa.. Very strange action. Good prospect tho, and he has a good wrong un

Craig

World Traveller
Ah Paul Adams.

When he was/is good he is very good IMO, but when he is sjocking he is horrible (think back to some of the treatment Trescothick and Freddie gave to him at The Oval back in 2003).

howardj

International Coach
Craig said:
Ah Paul Adams.

When he was/is good he is very good IMO, but when he is sjocking he is horrible (think back to some of the treatment Trescothick and Freddie gave to him at The Oval back in 2003).
Yeah, and Blewett and SWaugh at Joburg in 1997

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Jaques has been selected has a test possibilty for the super series, well i dont want to jump the gun but i would say their is a 50% chance that he could be opening in that series & in the upcoming Australian summer....