• Jason Brown

1 2.94%
  • Ian Blackwell

1 2.94%
  • Shaun Udal

6 17.65%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Englands next best spinner

Yes Neil i can back you up their on my mate Simon Marshall, he's got potential for sure

shaun Udal a great hampshire stalwart for years and a very wiley old customer. Ive never properly seen keedy but udal showed last week at cheltnham with his 6 wickets he is still a very good county spinner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    shaun Udal a great hampshire stalwart for years and a very wiley old customer. Ive never properly seen keedy but udal showed last week at cheltnham with his 6 wickets he is still a very good county spinner
    Shanie says without bias that he gets better with age and that the stats back it up.

Snape
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Warne
    Shanie says without bias that he gets better with age and that the stats back it up.
    He has benifited greatly from having warne as captain as he uses him more positivly. He also has the avantage of now playing in a good side that has a lot of confidence and atacking intent

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I'm sorry, but that's tripe.

Finger spinners don't turn it big. Wrist spinners do. Wrist spinners are by dint of English conditions only effective in July and August and get whacked for the rest of the year. Coaches can only encourage so much. There are three reasonably young wristies coming through - Simon Marshall (Lancs), Michael Munday (Somst) and Mark Lawson (Yorks) - as a not-indirect result of the Terry Jenner Elite Wrist Spin coaching scheme - but none seem to be making a particularly large "pick me" shout.

We're doing all we can - and as a national coaching structure, things aren't going so bad right now - are they?

Neil Pickup
    Coach - Exeter CC & East Devon Colts

maybe so....but surely you must appreciate that world class wrist spin is arguably the most dangerous form of bowling and that a top international side like england could do with a few.

is it not short sighted to not focus in on it because it hard to do in english conditions....and after all, if you are good enough you could spin it on most surfaces in most conditions.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuma
    maybe so....but surely you must appreciate that world class wrist spin is arguably the most dangerous form of bowling and that a top international side like england could do with a few.

is it not short sighted to not focus in on it because it hard to do in english conditions....and after all, if you are good enough you could spin it on most surfaces in most conditions.
    You can only work with the resources you have; potential Shane Warnes don't come along every five minutes. How many wristies have played the world game since World War 2?

Look for the current generation of kids, influenced by Warnie, to come through by 2015 and then make your judgements/
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    You can only work with the resources you have; potential Shane Warnes don't come along every five minutes. How many wristies have played the world game since World War 2?

Look for the current generation of kids, influenced by Warnie, to come through by 2015 and then make your judgements/
    goop points here Neil, but looking at the way Warne has influenced a lot of blokes in wanting to become leg-spinners i think we could well & see a lot of leg-spin protigies in the next 10 years...

you make good points, but i feel there is a difference between shane warne who is a legend and a world class wrist spinner.

nevertheless, did you not see the turn that the sri lankan undre 19's were getting in the odi series....immense.

which ODI's the current vs the England under 19's??

yeah...last month.

it might have something to do with the pva pitch tho.

you make good points, but i feel there is a difference between shane warne who is a legend and a world class wrist spinner.

nevertheless, did you not see the turn that the sri lankan undre 19's were getting in the odi series....immense.
    That is nonethless because it's late July/August - wristies become as useful in August as medium pace swing bowlers are in April, May, early June and late September!

I'm very much looking forward to seeing leggies coming through post-Warne - I'm a leggie myself, just a really, really crap one - but it's like Australia and all-rounders (or India and seamers) in that you can only work with the raw materials you have.

my point is that the "raw material" must surely be significant enough to create at least one top class wrist spinner every 20 years or so.

if it isnt then it means wrist spin is exclusively an art for the gods or that english people are **** at sport.

Banned
    One thing I can definately tell you is that it isn't Chris Peploe of Middlesex.

my point is that the "raw material" must surely be significant enough to create at least one top class wrist spinner every 20 years or so.

if it isnt then it means wrist spin is exclusively an art for the gods or that english people are **** at sport.
    So long as you're talking globally... since the war you have three - Kumble, Qadir and Warne.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information