• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Women's Ashes (Eng v Aus) thread*

PY

International Coach
A few simple questions asked and answered with her mum present by one or two women journos in a quiet room somewhere wouldn't have been horrific though would it?

Obviously I have no idea about media attention (my agent is good at dealing with that kind of stuff ;)) granted it was her choice. The article made it sound like she'd been refused access to the media by the coaching staff and suchlike so guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.

She can forget the normal life though, not often 15-year-olds get their mugshots on the front of the forerunning paper in the country. :D

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
No doubt she is not in the league of those above listed players. But for the selectors to drop someone that averages just under 17 with the ball and can bat a bit is kind of stupid. If you say that she is crap, cus when you faced here she might have been bowling that well then ok. But i remember bowling to Matthew Phelps, a NSW player, and he didn't look much better then your average grade cricketers. That doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play 1st Grade or First Class cricket.

My answer to that is that if someone is performing consistantly better that her and there international record not much different then why is she not in the team. This is just a small example and I know laura much better so you may think I am just bieing biased but this seasons stats for super 4's(the top compettion fr selection) speak for themselves.

Laura Harper
Batting super 4's 2005 comp 280runs @ 40 (2 50's, 1 100)
Bowling super 4's 2005 comp 8 wick @ 20

International(has not played for a few years)
190runs @ 17
29wick @16

Rosalie Birch
Batting super 4's 2005 comp 130runs @ 20 (0 50's, 0 100)
Bowling super 4's 2005 comp 4 wick @ 35

International
230runs @25 (4 not outs so puts average up alot)
33wick @ 17

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
PY said:
A few simple questions asked and answered with her mum present by one or two women journos in a quiet room somewhere wouldn't have been horrific though would it?

Obviously I have no idea about media attention (my agent is good at dealing with that kind of stuff ;)) granted it was her choice. The article made it sound like she'd been refused access to the media by the coaching staff and suchlike so guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.

She can forget the normal life though, not often 15-year-olds get their mugshots on the front of the forerunning paper in the country. :D
The media are so wrong with alot of things though. They change things to the way they want people to see things. I have heard she was called into be a net bowler the day before the match and picked from there. However this is not true. Also what a way for the ECB to ruin a player. They had another young spinner in the squad. Why not show the faith in her. They didn't and how gutted must she be.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tamara said:
My answer to that is that if someone is performing consistantly better that her and there international record not much different then why is she not in the team. This is just a small example and I know laura much better so you may think I am just bieing biased but this seasons stats for super 4's(the top compettion fr selection) speak for themselves.

Laura Harper
Batting super 4's 2005 comp 280runs @ 40 (2 50's, 1 100)
Bowling super 4's 2005 comp 8 wick @ 20

International(has not played for a few years)
190runs @ 17
29wick @16

Rosalie Birch
Batting super 4's 2005 comp 130runs @ 20 (0 50's, 0 100)
Bowling super 4's 2005 comp 4 wick @ 35

International
230runs @25 (4 not outs so puts average up alot)
33wick @ 17
Interesting that both aren't in the England side at present and England are struggling to win games. You could always have both in the same team.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Both are very similar players.. Except Laura a top order bat birch more a middle to lower order. Both off spin bowlers. I would say Laura more consistant. Doesn't bowl the bad ball as much as Birch

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tamara said:
A few things for you guys to read.

In england there is a team called west of england under 15's and that is selected from 100's and hundreds off normally boys. It has just been named this year and a 13 year old girl has been included in it as opening bowler.. Write up in the paper the other day saying she is the fastest bowler of that age (boy or girl) in the west of england.

Birch??? If you setting up a club I dont think she will be in the squad for that much longer. She is only a very average player. Certainly no secure position. I play with or against these girls so I know
I know (of) two of the West of England U15 lads - they play in the same league as I coach/manage - and have smashed us apart on more than one occasion, and one of them in particular is definitely on the rapid side of things - my less-than-scientific timings from the position of square leg umpire gave it as 70-75mph, and there was more than a little bit of the old four-byes treatment going on.

So forgive me if I'm highly dubious about a thirteen year old girl bowling at that pace.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tamara said:
Both are very similar players.. Except Laura a top order bat birch more a middle to lower order. Both off spin bowlers. I would say Laura more consistant. Doesn't bowl the bad ball as much as Birch
so what if they are both off spin bowlers, are you only going to pick one left arm quick. You have two bowlers that average 17 and can both bat. They should both be in the side really.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see England finally rise to the pressure situation rather than crumble, hopefully with the psychological barrier removed they shouldn't have to wait another 12 years for their next victory over Australia.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yep, good stuff from Brunt to clear up the tail. Last Test England let Australia slip away with a thumping lead and were lucky to save the draw, now they might get 100+ lead or something.

*wonders when England last won the Women's Ashes*

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Peter Englis

``At Worcester, Australia's Women, who have not lost an Ashes series since 1963, are in a similar desperate state. Like Hayden, Belinda Clark, the brilliant opener who won her second World Cup in April, is struggling badly in what could also be her final series. The turnarounds have been remarkably swift and once again it is the world champions seeking near-miracles. ``

summed up perfectly........

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
England need 45 off 42 with six wickets in hand to win the ODI series - which would be their first series win since 1976. :blink: