• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Women's Ashes (Eng v Aus) thread*

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Shane Warne said:
So is this a one day series then?

I wouldn't expect chicks to be physically able to do any more than that.
From the first post in this thread:

Samuel_Vimes said:
First Test is going on at Hove at the moment - England got a good start, removing Belinda Clark (of double ODI century fame), for a golden duck, and continued to take regular wickets, Karen Rolton making 71. 15-year-old debutante Holly Colvin has taken three for 42 - and, would you believe, 75 overs have been bowled before tea. Learn from that, guys.
Because of some rather idiotic scheduling, there's three ODIs in between the Tests. Don't ask why.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And another absolutely pathetic, spineless collapse from England. No wonder they get such pitiful attendances generally.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
A few things for you guys to read.

In england there is a team called west of england under 15's and that is selected from 100's and hundreds off normally boys. It has just been named this year and a 13 year old girl has been included in it as opening bowler.. Write up in the paper the other day saying she is the fastest bowler of that age (boy or girl) in the west of england.

Birch??? If you setting up a club I dont think she will be in the squad for that much longer. She is only a very average player. Certainly no secure position. I play with or against these girls so I know

PY

International Coach
Wow, haven't seen you about for a while Tamara, how's the cricketing progress?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Very well thank you. In England now playing a county season here and loving it. Not long till heading back for my New Zealand season. Great to see this place is still going strong. Disappointing to see that womens cricket is still not respected by some people. But for those who do thanks heaps and try and get down to see an ODI or test if they in your area. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Good days entertainment for 5 quid

PY

International Coach
Tamara said:
Very well thank you. In England now playing a county season here and loving it. Not long till heading back for my New Zealand season. Great to see this place is still going strong. Disappointing to see that womens cricket is still not respected by some people. But for those who do thanks heaps and try and get down to see an ODI or test if they in your area. I'm sure you wont be disappointed. Good days entertainment for 5 quid
Good to hear things are progressing.

Ignore Shane Warne (poster :p), he was a pleb.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
PY said:
Good to hear things are progressing.

Ignore Shane Warne (poster :p), he was a pleb.
Why just the poster? ;)

Interesting to hear about that 13-yo girl - maybe she'll break Colvin's record of youngest Test player soon!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tamara said:
Birch??? If you setting up a club I dont think she will be in the squad for that much longer. She is only a very average player. Certainly no secure position. I play with or against these girls so I know
Blasphemy, she is awesome, you don't average 25.77 with the bat and 16.66 with the ball by being a average player. Here test record is not that great but she has only played 4 Tests.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Whatever you say then. But if she is so awesome why isn't she playing the ODI's? She is a fring player. She will get a few games but not like the connors/Taylors/ Edwards etc who have secured places. I have faced her bowling and seen her bat and you wouldn't know any different to any other good club player

PY

International Coach
Should she even be a fringe player then if she's not better than most club players?

Is it something to do with marketing and the reason why some forum member can't help themselves. ;)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I would agree with you. And unfortunently in this country marketing is a reason. It looks like it certainly works too by looking at this forum.

PY

International Coach
Tamara said:
I would agree with you. And unfortunently in this country marketing is a reason. It looks like it certainly works too by looking at this forum.
I read an article the other day that it's poor marketing which is hurting the women's game so much. For example, when this girl was on the front page of The Times after making her debut loads of reporters went down there to get an interview but the big article from The Times was left to get quotes from her mum (I think) and her coach because she wasn't allowed to talk to the media.

What an opportunity wasted..:(

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tamara said:
Whatever you say then. But if she is so awesome why isn't she playing the ODI's? She is a fring player. She will get a few games but not like the connors/Taylors/ Edwards etc who have secured places. I have faced her bowling and seen her bat and you wouldn't know any different to any other good club player
No doubt she is not in the league of those above listed players. But for the selectors to drop someone that averages just under 17 with the ball and can bat a bit is kind of stupid. If you say that she is crap, cus when you faced here she might have been bowling that well then ok. But i remember bowling to Matthew Phelps, a NSW player, and he didn't look much better then your average grade cricketers. That doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play 1st Grade or First Class cricket.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I heard that Holly didn't want to talk to them for the reason that any 15 year old would. They dont know how to deal with media pressure etc. Her mum also said no after media started asking for baby photos etc. This girl is just a school girl and wants to be able to live a school girls life. She could have a huge future but at the same time if not dealt with properly it could ruin everything