• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's 10 Fastest Bowlers - Who are they?

King_Ponting

International Regular
aussie said:
add:

Edwards
Best
Lawson
Tait (from what i saw today at OT he looks faster than Harmison)
Johnson (from what the aussies here have said about him)

Though the Simon Jones of 3 years ago easily made the top 10....

Yep and ive been saying that all along. About lees pace, if not more. Hopefully if he plays this test we'll be able to get an accurate speed on his bowling.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No order

Harmison
Flintoff
Lee
Nel
Steyn
Edwards
Bond
Akhtar
Sami

My impression is that, on pace alone, Lee is consistently the quickest, Akhtar can occasionaly match him but the wild-card is Tait, who appears to be the quickest of the lot but is untested.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isolator said:
To me, Lee seems slower than he used to be a few years ago. Maybe it's cause he sorted out his action, eh?
I don't think he reaches the same speeds that he used to, but he maintains that slightly slower speed for longer throughout a spell. He used to be a bit more Shoaib-ish, where he'd bowl heat for two or three overs and then start to deteriorate in terms of pace, and accuracy, after that point.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
6-0-63-0 vs Essex says it all
Or if that's not enough, 12-0-113-0 vs Somerset screams "inadequate"
Y'know, this is getting REALLY old now. Has it escaped your attention what he's done since then? What do you call 63 wickets at 20 (4 short of the all-time Australian record), playing half of his games on the Adelaide Oval, one of the flattest decks in Australia?

Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
Lee has slowed down a little bit, however his accuracy is better than it used to be.

Top_Cat

Hoggard............150ks. thats a joke. he can barely get over 83mph/133kph. I am sorry mate, you must have seen it wrong.
:blink:

Read this (quoting what I said, especially the bit in italics);

I have my doubts about the speed cameras as a whole in the Test and ODI's series so far. I've seen lightning quick-bouncers get clocked below 120km/h and guys like Hoggard get clocked at 150km/h+ on occasion (obviously anomalies).

My questions about the accuracy of the cameras remains. There have been many and varied methods of measuring ball speed and this current one, as I've read in several technical articles, sacrifices accuracy for speed of results. The infra-red method has drawbacks and in my opinion, the results have to be taken with a grain of salt. Perfect example; I've got Lee on tape being clocked at 168km/h.

Brett Lee said that flintoff was the quickest bowler he has ever faced and thats something because, their are a long list of quicks who have tried to give Lee some of his own medicine and if he thinks Freddie is the quickest he's faced, i will believe it.
Not what he said at all. He said that one ball which hit him was the quickest. I haven't read that Flintoff is the quickest bowler he's faced anywhere.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
Lee has slowed down a little bit, however his accuracy is better than it used to be.
I don't actually think Lee has slowed down at all. On this tour of England his pace has been lower than it was a few months ago if you look at the speedgun, but I don't think that's anything to do with capacity, perhaps it's different measuring or something. During the Australian summer he rarely bowled a ball outside of the first over of his spells under 150kph (94 mph), and of course in New Zealand he broke 100mph with successive deliveries and regularly delivered whole spells in the high 90s, and that was only 3 or 4 months ago. In England, I've seen him bowling in the 130s at times, and his top speeds are in the low 90s, and I've only seen one or two balls over 95. It's very odd indeed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
In England, I've seen him bowling in the 130s at times, and his top speeds are in the low 90s, and I've only seen one or two balls over 95. It's very odd indeed.
I'd say a combination of playing more cricket in the last two months than he has within such a small time frame for quite a period, and the knock on his shoulder that Flintoff gave him. I wouldn't be suprised if he weren't 100% confident in going full tilt after that, at least sub-consciously.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Y'know, this is getting REALLY old now. Has it escaped your attention what he's done since then? What do you call 63 wickets at 20 (4 short of the all-time Australian record), playing half of his games on the Adelaide Oval, one of the flattest decks in Australia?
It might just be payback for the Harmisonics* we had to put up with for the last few years from a few less enlightened contributors. As for my thoughts on Tait, I've still never seen him bowl a ball and even if I had, I wouldn't make a snap judgement.

*Harmisonic - A noise, often taking a gutteral form, frequently uttered by cricket umpires taking evasive action at square leg. (see WTF, Bloodyellwotwasthat).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I personally think Harmy's stock pace has lessened since last year. He can still reach 92-93mph when he bends his back, but his stock ball is now more often around the 83-85mph.

I haven't looked it up, so I'm only guessing, but I'd say Fred was faster on average in the second test. & still Ch4 malign him with the "Fast medium" slur!! :p

With regards to Hoggy tho, I honestly can't ever recall him going much over 85mph (which my calculator tells me is 137kmh), so I think 150kmh is well outside his capabilities.

Top_Cat

With regards to Hoggy tho, I honestly can't ever recall him going much over 85mph (which my calculator tells me is 137kmh), so I think 150kmh is well outside his capabilities.
Like I said, I think the camera readings this series have been, on the whole, somewhat ordinary.

Craig

World Traveller
C_C said:
Alltime:
( in no particular order):

Michael Holding
Jeff Thompson
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akhtar
Brett Lee
Mohammed Zahid
Roy Gillchrist
Frank Tyson
Garth LeRoux
Patrick Patterson

Current :
( in no particular order):

Shoaib Akhtar
Mohammed Sami
Mohammed Irshaad
Brett Lee
Shaun Tait
Shane Bond
Fidel Edwards
Steve Harmison
Mornantau Hayward
Jermaine Lawson
Mohammad Zahid?

I know at the start of his career he was was lightening quick as back injuries took toll and when I finally got to see him and his team mates get slaughted at Cape Town in 2003 he looked nowhere near as quick.

If you are going to include somebody then IMO he has to have been quick for all over his carrer.