• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

--> Dismissals or Close Dismissals <--

Natman20

International Debutant
The purpose of this thread is to talk about the weirdest, best and worst​
dismissals ever​
or​
Close Dismissals and almost outs​

Example 1
Daniel Vettori - Ball hit stump, bales did not fall

Example 2
Shane Warne - Ball bowled outside off stump, went round Strauss bowled leg stump

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I vaugely remember ages ago Dean Jones' stumps were hit by Curtly Ambrose and the bail actually lifted off the stump about a millimetre or two and landed back on the stumps and didn't fall over. That was something I'll probably never see again, does anyone else remember that, or was it a dream?

greg

International Debutant
There have been half a dozen (or more) incidents in the last couple of years in England matches of the ball clipping one of the stumps and the bails not coming off, including one where a bail jumped in the air.

Mister Wright

greg said:
There have been half a dozen (or more) incidents in the last couple of years in England matches of the ball clipping one of the stumps and the bails not coming off, including one where a bail jumped in the air.
WoW! that's amazing! Did the bail come completely off the stump, do a turn and land back on the stumps? :wacko:

greg

International Debutant
I can't remember to be honest. (Don't have visions of it doing backflips or anything - it would have been millimetres like the incident you mentioned above). I just remember it was somewhat unusual in the commonplace happening of balls hitting stumps and nothing happening. One player, I think, was given out caught off the stump which had a kind of poetic irony :D

simmy

International Regular
Tremlett's hattrick ball against Bangladesh. Ball hit the top of the bails and refused to fall off!

Flintoff hitting Symonds off stump and the bails not coming off.

All decisions made by Rudi Keortzen in the last test!

cbuts

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
WoW! that's amazing! Did the bail come completely off the stump, do a turn and land back on the stumps? :wacko:
vetorris is easily the most amazing ive seen, and to be honest, i dont think ill ever see anything like it again. for those who didnt see it, the bail jumped in the air, and then landed back on the stumps, with the fat - middle piece of the bail - resting on the leg stump

archie mac

International Coach
Steve Waugh 4th Ashes Test MCG, on the replay clearly hit the ball, but at the time there was no appeal. England not appealing I still can't understand?

Mister Wright

archie mac said:
Steve Waugh 4th Ashes Test MCG, on the replay clearly hit the ball, but at the time there was no appeal. England not appealing I still can't understand?
It happens mate, its happened to me a few times, but I usually get out next ball, so its no biggie for the opposition.

archie mac

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
It happens mate, its happened to me a few times, but I usually get out next ball, so its no biggie for the opposition.
Yeah, but the Poms yell for everything, I can't remember ever seeing this in an Ashes Test

Mister Wright

archie mac said:
Yeah, but the Poms yell for everything, I can't remember ever seeing this in an Ashes Test
It didn't move off the bat, they didn't hear it, you can't blame them.

If it had of been Gilchrist they might have got lucky and he might have walked.

archie mac

International Coach
Mister Wright said:

Yes I was at the G and didn't hear anything, I wonder if Gilly would have? They had no hope with SRW :D

greg

International Debutant
The keeper (Foster) realised it but pulled out of the appeal when nobody else went up.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mister Wright said:

Happened in the South Africa ODIs recently too, Adam Bacher edged Gough through to Geraint but no one noticed until the replay showed a huge deflection - though it may have been a tactical masterplan to keep Bacher at the crease on the grounds that he was utterly useless...

Mister Wright

Neil Pickup said:
Happened in the South Africa ODIs recently too, Adam Bacher edged Gough through to Geraint but no one noticed until the replay showed a huge deflection - though it may have been a tactical masterplan to keep Bacher at the crease on the grounds that he was utterly useless...
That's always a possiblity, although it would have been silly to use that tactic against Waugh, no matter how poor his form at the time.