• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Record TV audience for 2nd Ashes Test

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When you read reports like that it makes it seem even more of a pity that a whole generation of kids will be denied the chance to see England in action after this year. There's obviously an appetite for it & England have the best test side we've had in at least a generation (certainly since I started following the game). It seems awfully short-sighted to banish what is a wonderful product to satellite.

Cricket has made the front pages of the papers today, I do fear that without terrestrial coverage it may soon be banished to the 8th page from the back of the paper again, such is football's hegemony in the UK.

simmy

International Regular
Not surprising at all really. More and more people are being converted to cricket also in this country. This series has already lived up to its hype. Most exciting test match I have ever seen. InFREDible it was!

Langeveldt

Soutie
You reap what you sow, and England's halcyon days could soon come crashing to a halt when kids realize they have to fork out (or make their parents) fork out such shocking amounts of money just to watch the national team play the national sport.. It's hardly a catering for the future type move..

greg

International Debutant
This is complete conjecture, but i wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon Sky create a way for some of their output to be offered on a free to air (digital) channel.

I'm sure this whole thing was long discussed but people shouldn't dismiss out of hand the tremendous contribution Sky have made to cricket coverage in this country and what they can offer in the future. It is also slightly unfair to accuse the authorities over the decision when there was no other realistic offer on the table.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
greg said:
This is complete conjecture, but i wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon Sky create a way for some of their output to be offered on a free to air (digital) channel.

I'm sure this whole thing was long discussed but people shouldn't dismiss out of hand the tremendous contribution Sky have made to cricket coverage in this country and what they can offer in the future. It is also slightly unfair to accuse the authorities over the decision when there was no other realistic offer on the table.
No, fair point. Until Sky came into being there was no way to watch England's tests played abroad live at all. I'm a fully paid up subscriber (although it was actually England's 6 Nations games going onto Sky that ultimately made my mind up & they're back on the Beeb again now anyway!) but I think that with the home tests going onto Sky there is less chance of youngsters stumbling across this remarkable game by accident.

Hopefully Fred will inspire a few more converts over the next few weeks. :)

jordyh

Cricket Spectator
Although it doesn't bother me, as a sky subscriber, I do believe that the home tests should be on channel 4 (or bbc, whatever). Most of my mates that I talk cricket with don't have sky, it justs seems a shame.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
it was also a record audience for SBS in Australia - beating the last football WC final during the last 10 minutes of the game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
When you read reports like that it makes it seem even more of a pity that a whole generation of kids will be denied the chance to see England in action after this year. There's obviously an appetite for it & England have the best test side we've had in at least a generation (certainly since I started following the game). It seems awfully short-sighted to banish what is a wonderful product to satellite.

Cricket has made the front pages of the papers today, I do fear that without terrestrial coverage it may soon be banished to the 8th page from the back of the paper again, such is football's hegemony in the UK.
If this series continues like this I'm sure there'll be some terrestrial broadcaster who'll find a way!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
You reap what you sow, and England's halcyon days could soon come crashing to a halt when kids realize they have to fork out (or make their parents) fork out such shocking amounts of money just to watch the national team play the national sport.. It's hardly a catering for the future type move..
Watching reality tv is the national sport.

Come on, Rich. Cricket has NEVER been the national sport, not even of the privileged. Even going back to those halcyon days of Jonners and Arlott, the unwashed went to football and the fight in the high street afterwards, the hoi-polloi used to go to the puffs rugby and then punting on the Cam.

I've been going to test matches since the 1960's, and until the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Ashes tours) I never even had to buy a ticket in advance - just turn up and pay - even on a saturday for India, Pakistan, New Zealand even.

The day cricket becomes anything more than a minority sport is the day I have to queue up for more than 2 minutes to get in to a county game.

Craig

World Traveller
To be fair to the ECB Sky probably put the best offer forward so in a business sence this is merely a business decision for them to make extra cash (if done right hopefully back into England cricket). Although if it is not available on free-to-air then it again it may be no point in putting money back into the grassroots level.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
Watching reality tv is the national sport.

Come on, Rich. Cricket has NEVER been the national sport, not even of the privileged. Even going back to those halcyon days of Jonners and Arlott, the unwashed went to football and the fight in the high street afterwards, the hoi-polloi used to go to the puffs rugby and then punting on the Cam.

I've been going to test matches since the 1960's, and until the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Ashes tours) I never even had to buy a ticket in advance - just turn up and pay - even on a saturday for India, Pakistan, New Zealand even.

The day cricket becomes anything more than a minority sport is the day I have to queue up for more than 2 minutes to get in to a county game.
It is no different when going to a Pura or ING Cup match over here.

Swervy

International Captain
apparently 7.7 million people tuned in to watch the cricket last night at 6.30pm..the highest ever Monday night viewing figures for Channel 4

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
Very true the fact that cricket is now leaving terestrial may finaly force my parents too get sky after years of asking and anoying and ironicly probably just before i leave home for university :@

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
We had 346,000 tuning in to watch the final overs with Lee and McGrath at 3:57 in the morning on a free to air channel that rural areas don't get, in a country with 20 million people. Amazingly impressive numbers. For the prime time first session (7:30-9:30 pm) on saturday, 1.2 million.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, 346,000 in the morning. and then 1.2 million on saturday. Impressive. SBS must be licking their lips