Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Record TV audience for 2nd Ashes Test

  1. #1
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361

    Record TV audience for 2nd Ashes Test

    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  2. #2
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    46,909
    When you read reports like that it makes it seem even more of a pity that a whole generation of kids will be denied the chance to see England in action after this year. There's obviously an appetite for it & England have the best test side we've had in at least a generation (certainly since I started following the game). It seems awfully short-sighted to banish what is a wonderful product to satellite.

    Cricket has made the front pages of the papers today, I do fear that without terrestrial coverage it may soon be banished to the 8th page from the back of the paper again, such is football's hegemony in the UK.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

  3. #3
    International Regular simmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    3,039
    Not surprising at all really. More and more people are being converted to cricket also in this country. This series has already lived up to its hype. Most exciting test match I have ever seen. InFREDible it was!

  4. #4
    Soutie Langeveldt's Avatar
    Pinball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands
    Posts
    29,567
    You reap what you sow, and England's halcyon days could soon come crashing to a halt when kids realize they have to fork out (or make their parents) fork out such shocking amounts of money just to watch the national team play the national sport.. It's hardly a catering for the future type move..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

    ****.


  5. #5
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,911
    This is complete conjecture, but i wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon Sky create a way for some of their output to be offered on a free to air (digital) channel.

    I'm sure this whole thing was long discussed but people shouldn't dismiss out of hand the tremendous contribution Sky have made to cricket coverage in this country and what they can offer in the future. It is also slightly unfair to accuse the authorities over the decision when there was no other realistic offer on the table.

  6. #6
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Gone too soon
    Posts
    46,909
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    This is complete conjecture, but i wouldn't be surprised if at some point soon Sky create a way for some of their output to be offered on a free to air (digital) channel.

    I'm sure this whole thing was long discussed but people shouldn't dismiss out of hand the tremendous contribution Sky have made to cricket coverage in this country and what they can offer in the future. It is also slightly unfair to accuse the authorities over the decision when there was no other realistic offer on the table.
    No, fair point. Until Sky came into being there was no way to watch England's tests played abroad live at all. I'm a fully paid up subscriber (although it was actually England's 6 Nations games going onto Sky that ultimately made my mind up & they're back on the Beeb again now anyway!) but I think that with the home tests going onto Sky there is less chance of youngsters stumbling across this remarkable game by accident.

    Hopefully Fred will inspire a few more converts over the next few weeks.

  7. #7
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    32
    Although it doesn't bother me, as a sky subscriber, I do believe that the home tests should be on channel 4 (or bbc, whatever). Most of my mates that I talk cricket with don't have sky, it justs seems a shame.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    it was also a record audience for SBS in Australia - beating the last football WC final during the last 10 minutes of the game.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    When you read reports like that it makes it seem even more of a pity that a whole generation of kids will be denied the chance to see England in action after this year. There's obviously an appetite for it & England have the best test side we've had in at least a generation (certainly since I started following the game). It seems awfully short-sighted to banish what is a wonderful product to satellite.

    Cricket has made the front pages of the papers today, I do fear that without terrestrial coverage it may soon be banished to the 8th page from the back of the paper again, such is football's hegemony in the UK.
    If this series continues like this I'm sure there'll be some terrestrial broadcaster who'll find a way!!
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    You reap what you sow, and England's halcyon days could soon come crashing to a halt when kids realize they have to fork out (or make their parents) fork out such shocking amounts of money just to watch the national team play the national sport.. It's hardly a catering for the future type move..
    Watching reality tv is the national sport.

    Come on, Rich. Cricket has NEVER been the national sport, not even of the privileged. Even going back to those halcyon days of Jonners and Arlott, the unwashed went to football and the fight in the high street afterwards, the hoi-polloi used to go to the puffs rugby and then punting on the Cam.

    I've been going to test matches since the 1960's, and until the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Ashes tours) I never even had to buy a ticket in advance - just turn up and pay - even on a saturday for India, Pakistan, New Zealand even.

    The day cricket becomes anything more than a minority sport is the day I have to queue up for more than 2 minutes to get in to a county game.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  11. #11
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    To be fair to the ECB Sky probably put the best offer forward so in a business sence this is merely a business decision for them to make extra cash (if done right hopefully back into England cricket). Although if it is not available on free-to-air then it again it may be no point in putting money back into the grassroots level.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  12. #12
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cover point
    Posts
    25,958
    This test deserved a record audience !!

  13. #13
    rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    East Holland
    Posts
    26,379
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    The day cricket becomes anything more than a minority sport is the day I have to queue up for more than 2 minutes to get in to a county game.
    Excluding Twenty20?
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

    I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

    -jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Excluding Twenty20?
    What a good idea!!!

    ( )

  15. #15
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,127
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Watching reality tv is the national sport.

    Come on, Rich. Cricket has NEVER been the national sport, not even of the privileged. Even going back to those halcyon days of Jonners and Arlott, the unwashed went to football and the fight in the high street afterwards, the hoi-polloi used to go to the puffs rugby and then punting on the Cam.

    I've been going to test matches since the 1960's, and until the last 10 years or so (with the exception of Ashes tours) I never even had to buy a ticket in advance - just turn up and pay - even on a saturday for India, Pakistan, New Zealand even.

    The day cricket becomes anything more than a minority sport is the day I have to queue up for more than 2 minutes to get in to a county game.
    It is no different when going to a Pura or ING Cup match over here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can Australia survive without Warne and McGrath???
    By vandemataram in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 15-01-2003, 05:27 PM
  2. 3 Test Ashes series??????
    By loz185 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 15-11-2002, 04:33 AM
  3. Aussie XI for 1st Ashes Test
    By MrPerko in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 25-10-2002, 09:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •