• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Balls!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
Because then you **** your whole rhythm up and carry that into a match and will probably get carted.

the idea would be you practiced with it till you got used to it, and trained young players up in it. you dont just go straight out andf change it in a match. as a long term thing it cant be that hard to do.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
It would be extremely difficult to get used to. As a fast bowler it is reall yoff putting if in your periferral(sp.) vision you are not right near the crease...

I have attempted a few times to move my run up back a bit but it just ends up putting my rythm off...

I'd rather bowl good the majority of time and give away a couple of noballs than bowl crappy-*** most of the time without bowling any noies.

Josh

International Regular
No-balls are apart of cricket - they will happen no matter how much you alter run-ups or practise somehow to not bowl them... I mean 13 is a high no-ball count, he'll go and work on it, and I'm sure the amount of no-balls he bowls in future will reduce, but very unlikely to eliminate no-balls alltogether.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clarence said:
It would be extremely difficult to get used to. As a fast bowler it is reall yoff putting if in your periferral(sp.) vision you are not right near the crease...

I have attempted a few times to move my run up back a bit but it just ends up putting my rythm off...

I'd rather bowl good the majority of time and give away a couple of noballs than bowl crappy-*** most of the time without bowling any noies.
If you bowled that way from the very first ball you ever bowled though, it wouldnt see weird at all.

Im not suggesting for every international bowler to do it, but teaching it at grass roots level would be a good idea.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
im not talking about just trying it once, you have to work on it, but long term, im quite sure quicks could get used to bowling from 20cm farther back that now.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
im not talking about just trying it once, you have to work on it, but long term, im quite sure quicks could get used to bowling from 20cm farther back that now.

20 cm is a long way! The greater the distance between the delivery of the ball and the batsman, gives the batsman more time to see the ball.

greg

International Debutant
This is slightly O/T but I'm surprised that quick bowlers never deliberately try to alter their place of delivery in order to confuse the batsman trying to pick up the length. "Bowling off 23 yards" is of course a well-known (if rarely employed these days it seems) method of variation for spin bowlers trying eg. to lure the batsman down the pitch.

Clarence

U19 Cricketer
Simple reason that they wouldn't be very effective...as they wouldn't be able to control it or send it down at

And Prince, no way...just accept that bowlers are going to bowl the odd noball.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
BoyBrumby said:
Jeez, that's pretty shocking actually. In such a tight match it coulda been terminal. Fred doesn't exactly steam in, does he? He seems to generate his pace from sheer brute force, 'cos his arm action isn't that fast either.

That said, I think he compensated in other areas.... :D
While he made a fair few runs with the bat, 13 was a decent score for a batsman (in that test) and that almost proved very costly at the end.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Clarence said:

Same here......getting rid of noball problems is much harder than most might think. a bowlers rhythm can be affectedby as much as 10 centimeters off were it usually should be. So most bowlers [me included] try and stick as close to their usual runup as usual. Even a great like Shaun Pollock tries to get as close to the line as possible which could lead to a few noballs. It just doesnt feel the same, trust me.

King_Ponting

International Regular
SpeedKing said:
Same here......getting rid of noball problems is much harder than most might think. a bowlers rhythm can be affectedby as much as 10 centimeters off were it usually should be. So most bowlers [me included] try and stick as close to their usual runup as usual. Even a great like Shaun Pollock tries to get as close to the line as possible which could lead to a few noballs. It just doesnt feel the same, trust me.
Its mainly or largely due to how you train. I used to bowl a few no balls a game cause i would bowl them every training session, taking no note of the front line what so ever. However i found that by having half your foot behind the front line during training, you are most likely to take that kind of footwork into a match situation.