Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When Do You Cheer For The Enemy?

When Do You Cheer For The Enemy?

Though it horrified my brother, I actually found myself cheering for the Poms in last night's match. Almost woke the neighbours when Jones took that catch!! Though I was born in Australia, and have lived here all my life, I just think it would have killed the series if Australia won last night. I cheer against Australia heaps. I always like to see a good contest, rather than an Australian victory. The only times I've really cheered for Australia were in the latter stages of the World Cup in 1999, and in the deciding Test match in India in 2001.

So, did anyone else, find themselves (god forbid) cheering for the Poms last night? Or, more broadly, have you ever been happy when your country has been defeated?
    Last edited by howardj; 07-08-2005 at 11:25 PM.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Despite my friend's disgust, I have been cheering for the England team. It is quite possible I woke up my flatmates when Harmison took that last wicket. Go England, go!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Yep, on many occasions. Freaks most people out. Was certainly cheering when England won last night too. It's one of those things; I may have a team I like to watch but if the match is a good one, no matter who wins, I'm happy.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Can't say as a NZer that I often get the opportunity to cheer for the other team...

Sometimes when I want one team to win the series I do find myself cheering for the other, last night for example.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_
    Can't say as a NZer that I often get the opportunity to cheer for the other team...

Sometimes when I want one team to win the series I do find myself cheering for the other, last night for example.

Haha I know what you mean Ed. I cheer for certain players in the opposition on occasions but not the other team.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Though it horrified my brother, I actually found myself cheering for the Poms in last night's match. Almost woke the neighbours when Jones took that catch!! Though I was born in Australia, and have lived here all my life, I just think it would have killed the series if Australia won last night. I cheer against Australia heaps. I always like to see a good contest, rather than an Australian victory. The only times I've really cheered for Australia were in the latter stages of the World Cup in 1999, and in the deciding Test match in India in 2001.

So, did anyone else, find themselves (god forbid) cheering for the Poms last night? Or, more broadly, have you ever been happy when your country has been defeated?
    blasphemer!
    it was a good game, but every single part of me wanted australia to win that match. nothing would have made me happier than coming back from that position and completely knocking the poms out of the ashes
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Bangladesh v Australia 2005. And any WI v Aus match.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Sometimes. I certainly like a good contest more than an Australian thrashing, but last night I was cheering for Australia. Can't say I was gutted to lose like that though... it was one of the all time great test matches.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_

Same with England - and I'm not even born there!

Can't quite believe all those holy "fans of a good match" around here...I don't think I can recall ever switching allegiances during a sporting event. Oh well, each to their own.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

As I have become older, it is more and more about the quality of the Cricket. But go for the poms? Not in this life time
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj

Nope but cant say I was overly disappointed either.

Good for the game, good for the series, good for Aussies that Geraint will probably retain his spot on basis of "cant change a winning team."

Only dark spot was missing out on tabloids mugging of the Poms if they had somehow contrived to lose it.

Aaah well, got that to look forward to in a couple of weeks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by social
    Nope but cant say I was overly disappointed either.

Good for the game, good for the series, good for Aussies that Geraint will probably retain his spot on basis of "cant change a winning team."

Only dark spot was missing out on tabloids mugging of the Poms if they had somehow contrived to lose it.

Aaah well, got that to look forward to in a couple of weeks anyway.
    Now that would have been a tad amusing. All the Sundays were full of the usual jingoistic clap-trap about us "wrapping it up" this morning. Even the usually sober Observer said there was more chance of an earthquake in Birmingham than an Oz victory!

To answer the title of the thread, except were England are involved I do the slightly w@nky English thing of rooting for the underdog. Have to say I would've liked to have seen The Banglas make us bat again in the 2nd test tho, they came sooo close.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!

When Do You Cheer For The Enemy?

Its difficult to "cheer" for the enemy when you identify the opposition as such.

But there are occasions when one is so ****ed with one's team or some ridiclous selection policies which used to at times be blatantly partisan at one time, when one felt like "serves them right" even for one's own team. But thats not the same as cheering for the enemy.

Yes, if one is really engrossed 9in a great game and one has matured to a level when an opponent is not an enemy really and a game is a sporting contest and you take sides just to get some pleasure out of cheering up "your" side and not because your life depended on the result, I suppose one could feel good for the opposition even if one's own team lost.

I would classify Windies win last year to win a limited over championship after God knows how long with Browne and the tail taking them home in a stirring game of rear guard action as one such. I would have probably cheered them (well not exactly cheered) even if India was the opposition. That was such a game. There are others like that I suppose.

I almost always go for Australia. The only exception is against Bangladesh. Sometimes I find my favouritism change throughout a series not including my country but I rarely barrack against Australia. For the first couple of games of the NatWest Series I went for whoever played against Australia so that Bangladesh might possibly make the final but when I realised that wasn't going to happen I supported Australia over England

Try make sense of that
    Stedders' Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, CA Lynn, Shakib Al Hasan, SE Marsh, +AT Carey, AC Agar, PJ Cummins, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

State Captain
    We were quite content when the Aussies won a consolation test at the end of the 86/7 series. They looked so miserable...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information