• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nehra opens fire- extract from Mumbai Mirror

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sanz said:
Arjun, As ususal your post is full of crap. What Nehra did was more than bragging, he criticized,insulted, questioned his team mates's performance who in not only 5-6 younger/Junior to him but also has clearly outperformed him in Tests as well as ODIs.
Who cares if his juniors have "outperformed" him by a whisker? Has the Indian team won tournaments on the back of their "feats"? Nehra has been around for six years (actually five) and he's been silent all along, even as people often make a habit of taking a swipe at him. But have we seen anyone praise him to the skies the way Parthiv Patel and Irfan Pathan have been? His comments may sound a little out-of-place, but none of the team-mates he has panned (just one) have done anything special. They too have to pull up their socks and pay more attention to their game, rather than walk the ramp and do ad film shoots.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
While Nehra's comments may be loosely dismissed as bragging, he deserves credit for slamming the mess that's plaguing Indian cricket. It's a perpetual "you scratch my back and I scratch yours" mentality, which hasn't helped them much, as can be seen from just two major ODI victories in five years. For some strange reason, the current crop of Indian players expect to be treated as stars and sadly, they actually are, by fans, mediapersons and even the people that matter.

A few such stars are Parthiv Patel, Ajit Agarkar, Irfan Pathan, Balaji- the list goes on. What great thing have any of these players ever done? For the team? Yet, they seem to enjoy a very high, holier-than-non-national-players status which shouldn't be questioned. But are they really worthy of that status?

Nehra, on the other hand, has had it rough- be it injuries, loss of form, inconsistency in selection and all the brickbats we hear of so often. But that has not stopped him. He's tried his heart out in every match he is given but doesn't make a big show of it. He just works hard on his game. His ODI form this year has been very good and he's outperformed the 'stars' in nine ODI's this year. He's bowled well in the final overs when he's given a chance. Whatever his captain has demanded, he's done it. Yet, his performances have often been ignored, while all the plaudits are reserved for one-innings wonders such as Irfan, Balaji and Agarkar. Clearly, status has been given a higher priority over performance, which is why we see extras and has-beens play in the side for far too long.

There is a lot of potential in the Indian bowling stocks and anyone who has been watching them would know it. They may not have done much of note, but there can only be good leaders and bad ones. The plans, the selection and the attitude of the people that matter have always been anti-bowler, when you look at the Indian team. Harbhajan was dropped for the match against WI because he didn't bowl well, but why were some of the non-performing batsmen still selected? A similar condition can be noticed in the Indians' tour of the West Indies in 2002- Kumble was dropped from the Test squad because he "couldn't adjust to the conditions", but we don't see a batsman dropped from the side for the same reason. It's not the players who are at fault, but the leadership.

What has Nehra done? one innings in the WC in helpful conditions???
PP and AA are the most maligned cricketers in the country.
holier-than-non-national-players :wtf does it mean..
also, u mention the very point why ppl feel he shud shut up:
His ODI form this year has been very good and he's outperformed the 'stars' in nine ODI's this year
key phrases highlighted..its one yr. one series really...he still can't bat to save his life..his fielding, some say, has improved. i sure hope so cause he needs every little bit of improvement he can get.
don't necessarily disagree with the last para but the others are pure crap for sure

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Yeah, have to agree with that. It's certainly unusual to see a current player being so brutally honest...
Its not just unusual it is going to damage his own prospects and it will surely affect his relationships with his team mates. Very immature and ill-advised, though not untrue.

I am very surprised that he said this. He is a pretty dumb guy but he has been around long enough to know how damaging this can be.

I would expect a denial from him very soon.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Who cares if his juniors have "outperformed" him by a whisker? Has the Indian team won tournaments on the back of their "feats"? Nehra has been around for six years (actually five) and he's been silent all along, even as people often make a habit of taking a swipe at him. But have we seen anyone praise him to the skies the way Parthiv Patel and Irfan Pathan have been? His comments may sound a little out-of-place, but none of the team-mates he has panned (just one) have done anything special. They too have to pull up their socks and pay more attention to their game, rather than walk the ramp and do ad film shoots.
are ppl taking a swipe at him for wrong reasons????
he still can't bat and field. he is still inconsistent with his bowling. i don't see why he should be "praised"
also why shud he care if the media praises him or not?? its the selectors and his team-mates that matter....
aw, f@%k it, i think i am done with this thread...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Who cares if his juniors have "outperformed" him by a whisker?
The point is he/they did outperofm him, Pathan/Balaji both bowl/bat/field better than Nehra.

Has the Indian team won tournaments on the back of their "feats"?
Although I believe that cricket is a team game and one individual can't do muchIndia won a series in Pakistan, Drew a series in Australia with Pathan in the team.

Nehra has been around for six years (actually five) and he's been silent all along,
Well we agree on that, his performance has been quiet all along.It's time he does something.

even as people often make a habit of taking a swipe at him. But have we seen anyone praise him to the skies the way Parthiv Patel and Irfan Pathan have been?
So is it Pathan's fault that people dont praise him enough or take a swipe at him ? And is that the reason he decided to have a go at Irfan ? And about Patel, Last I checked he was out of team.

His comments may sound a little out-of-place,
' A Little' ?? That has got to be the understatment of the year.

but none of the team-mates he has panned (just one) have done anything special. They too have to pull up their socks and pay more attention to their game, rather than walk the ramp and do ad film shoots.
Yeah man, Dravid/Tendulkar/Ganguly are nothing special. As for Fim Shoot and walking the ramp, didn't Nehra do the same ??

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Those who think that Nehra is "speaking the truth" should go and celebrate his performance, After all that is what he is complaining about.

While you celebrate, let us also know his performances in last 6 years, we will also celebrate.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The point is he/they did outperofm him, Pathan/Balaji both bowl/bat/field better than Nehra.
Would you play Pathan/Balaji as all-rounders? If no, their batting is in no way better than Nehra's. That fielding argument can also be used against Ganguly, whom you adore so much.
Although I believe that cricket is a team game and one individual can't do muchIndia won a series in Pakistan, Drew a series in Australia with Pathan in the team.
The Indians drew (didn't win) a series against an Australian side without McGrath, Warne and an in-form Lee. Scratchy series win against inconsistent Pakistan don't count- world-beating teams trample them. Even there, Pathan's contributions were only in bits and pieces.
So is it Pathan's fault that people dont praise him enough or take a swipe at him ? And is that the reason he decided to have a go at Irfan ? And about Patel, Last I checked he was out of team.
But when the public malign Nehra but praise Irfan for so long, when neither is that great or that bad, there is something wrong out there. Knowing Indian selectors, always expect them to take a step backward and recall Patel.
' A Little' ?? That has got to be the understatment of the year.
Because he plays for India- where you worship your 'stars' even if they're totally useless.
While you celebrate, let us also know his performances in last 6 years, we will also celebrate.
And you celebrate four series wins on the trot by the Indians.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
Would you play Pathan/Balaji as all-rounders? If no, their batting is in no way better than Nehra's.
Whether I will Play Pathan/Balaji as allrounders is not important. what is important is If I have to Pick 2 players out or Balaji/Pathan/Nehra. Most of the time I would pick Balaji and Pathan,especially in TEST CRICKET where Nehra has been such a failure.

That fielding argument can also be used against Ganguly, whom you adore so much.
Oh so Now Nehra needs to praised as much as Ganguly ?? Ganguly who has won countless ODI matches for India, is our best captain ever. And no I dont adore Ganguly, but I appreciate what he has done for Indian cricket both as a batsman and as a captain something Nehra cant even dream of. Despite that the amount of criticism, hate Ganguly has received throughout his career, the way he has been ridiculed by media, fans, ex-players, Nehra hasn't even experienced 1 % of that. Remember Ganguly was the same guy who was accused of being a spoilt brat and then wasn't selected for another 4 years.

The Indians drew (didn't win) a series against an Australian side without McGrath, Warne and an in-form Lee.Scratchy series win against inconsistent Pakistan don't count- world-beating teams trample them.
It wasn't Irfan's fault that Lee, Mcgrath and Warne didn't play. However all the top aussie batsmen played in that series. And yes Pakistan win does count for me and most Indian fans.

Even there, Pathan's contributions were only in bits and pieces.
Really, go and look once again, Highest wicket taker in his debut VB series, Best bowling avg. in Pak ODI series and, best pacer in test series vs. Pak, highest wicket taker in Asia Cup really bits and pieces, isn't it ?

But when the public malign Nehra but praise Irfan for so long, when neither is that great or that bad, there is something wrong out there.
Public has maligned Nehra, I haven't heard any such thing done by the Public ?? Btw, Is it the same Public which compard him with Wasim Akram after his super world cup performance ? Besides I dont understand how does it justify his venom in the media against Irfan ?

Knowing Indian selectors, always expect them to take a step backward and recall Patel.
Indian selectors have hardly taken any step forward with Dhoni, Dhoni is worse than Patel both as a batsman and as a wicketkeeper. And before you accuse me of being a gujrati, no I am not from Baroda, I am from Jharkhand and Dhoni plays for my state.

where you worship your 'stars' even if they're totally useless.And you celebrate four series wins on the trot by the Indians.
Yes, I celebrate every serieswin by Indian team because they are so rare and no I dont worship stars but I am not like you either who is looking to replace entire Indian team after every loss.

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
LOL.. id except Grade Cricketers to make such comments on rare occasions.. but coming from an international player like Nehra.. who is yet to go a whole season bowling consistently.. it is just a big laugh and shameful.. *thumbs down*