• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australians get off easy??

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
The person you are arguing with.

CW just stands for 'Cricket Web'
Oh god.. Talk about misunderstood. It was a cheap shot at the greatest leg spinner of all time. Suggesting he's also a troll..

Ahh well..

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shounak said:
Oh god.. Talk about misunderstood. It was a cheap shot at the greatest leg spinner of all time. Suggesting he's also a troll..

Ahh well..
It's very confusing at times.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shounak said:
That's fair enough. Word's only account for about 7% of communication I think. And these emoticons just don't cut it..
The other 93% are Access, Excel, Powerpoint, Binder and Outlook

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
As if anyone actually uses Access, Binder or Outlook.

They're the equivalent of black jelly beans.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
Very very good, even by your standards. :lol:

But does anyone else find other emoticons not nearly as good as the one's we're provided with here, when you go to find more? I love all the crazy ones. :)

On topic, yes - they've been very lucky in a few instances over the last few years. I think that Ponting confronting the umpire - even if malice wasn't there - it looked horrible.

villaturk

Cricket Spectator
The galling truth is that without Warne and Big Glenn,the Aussie attack is average.Brett Lee is quick but bowls in short spells but the Kasper and the under performing Dizzy dont scare England.
If Macca dont play again in the Series it will be close but if he does the Aussies will come through.im just happy that we can now compete with them.
I think there batting is way over rated though and for to long,the 2 top bowlers make them look better then they are.

Shounak

Banned
villaturk said:
The galling truth is that without Warne and Big Glenn,the Aussie attack is average.Brett Lee is quick but bowls in short spells but the Kasper and the under performing Dizzy dont scare England.
If Macca dont play again in the Series it will be close but if he does the Aussies will come through.im just happy that we can now compete with them.
I think there batting is way over rated though and for to long,the 2 top bowlers make them look better then they are.
I wouldn't say the batting is overrated. They are a team of champions, and have developed into a champion team. Just look at them individually.

But I never thought I'd see the Australian top 5 batsmen ever collapse. But they'll be back I think. No more of this 'house of cards' stuff. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. I think they will take this loss to heart, and bounce back.

I think they should just slow down, no chance of a draw if all the pitches are like the first two.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It's easy to see how the Aussie batting could be overrated - after all, they don't have to face McGrath and Warne...

Shounak

Banned
Dasa said:
It's easy to see how the Aussie batting could be overrated - after all, they don't have to face McGrath and Warne...
Fair point, but surely their demolition of other sides counts for something. They didn't world cups and beat every team they've recently played simply from a strong bowling lineup.

Are there any teams which have a batting line up which rivals Australia's? Today. I certainly can't think of one.

chalky

International Debutant
Dasa said:
I think the quality of the English quick bowlers (who Flintoff apart have not been 100%) has really suprised the Australians and they are just so used to dominatiing quick bowlers they can't seem to adapt with especially Hayden, Pointing & Martyn not giving the bowling enough respect.

villaturk

Cricket Spectator
Kallis,Lara,Inzamam,Dravid and Tendulkar would all get into the Aussie batting line up.Its so much easier scoring runs when you have skittled the opposition for 150.Those 5 batters ,and a few others have to do it when the pressure is on and have 3 or 4 top quality Aussie bowlers going at them time and time again,just like when the windies had 4 quickies in the 80s.
Ponting,the best batter in the world,christ,dont make me laugh.What should worry the aussies aint the one over Freddie destroyed him with that over but in the 1st inns,he should of been run out trying a suisidal run ,he looks scared out there.Hayden is just a flat track bully whose feet dont move and Martyn nothing special.Langer and Clarke look good but Gilchrist has saved them so many times but when you play like him anything can happen.Please Glenn McGrath go home and put your feet up.

King_Ponting

International Regular
villaturk said:
Kallis,Lara,Inzamam,Dravid and Tendulkar would all get into the Aussie batting line up.Its so much easier scoring runs when you have skittled the opposition for 150.Those 5 batters ,and a few others have to do it when the pressure is on and have 3 or 4 top quality Aussie bowlers going at them time and time again,just like when the windies had 4 quickies in the 80s.
Ponting,the best batter in the world,christ,dont make me laugh.What should worry the aussies aint the one over Freddie destroyed him with that over but in the 1st inns,he should of been run out trying a suisidal run ,he looks scared out there.Hayden is just a flat track bully whose feet dont move and Martyn nothing special.Langer and Clarke look good but Gilchrist has saved them so many times but when you play like him anything can happen.Please Glenn McGrath go home and put your feet up.
Nope, no room for inzy in the aussie line up (both in the bus and on the field).

Shounak

Banned
villaturk said:
Kallis,Lara,Inzamam,Dravid and Tendulkar would all get into the Aussie batting line up.
Possibly. But we're not talking about an all star team here. We're talking about a batting line up.

Is there a better batting line up? Of current players, all playing in the same team.

If you use that as the criterion, then the Aus is the best batting line up.

villaturk

Cricket Spectator
As you have said shounak when the going gets tough.....
The next test will see what their battings made of.Professionally,yes they are the best,the averages prove that but the big test will be when Warne and McGrath have gone

Shounak

Banned
villaturk said:
As you have said shounak when the going gets tough.....
The next test will see what their battings made of.Professionally,yes they are the best,the averages prove that but the big test will be when Warne and McGrath have gone
Despite their old age, they've got at least two years of juice left in them. Warne could probably keep bowling til the cows come home. McGrath will probably finish a bit earlier.

But I guess your theory could be tested in a one day game where McGrath is being rested. But, I suspect Australia will probably will, even without McGrath.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
)On topic, yes - they've been very lucky in a few instances over the last few years. I think that Ponting confronting the umpire - even if malice wasn't there - it looked horrible.
Clearly the umpires didn't feature highly in the "Spirit of Cricket" manifesto.

Beleg

International Regular
Nope, no room for inzy in the aussie line up (both in the bus and on the field).
So Clarke is a better batsman than Inzy? Katich? Langer? Hayden?

The only two batsmen comparable to Inzamam in quality are Martyn and Ponting. (who is a BIT better IMHO)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
So Clarke is a better batsman than Inzy? Katich? Langer? Hayden?

The only two batsmen comparable to Inzamam in quality are Martyn and Ponting. (who is a BIT better IMHO)
They just can't afford Inzy.

There isn't enough charcoal in the whole of Australia to keep him in barbies.