• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Battle is Close, But...

archie mac

International Coach
Which commentary team is in front?

In Australia we have a choice between SBS which has the Channel 4 team, led by Richie Benaud. And Foxtel which has Sky (I think) coverage led by Both.

I find myself watching more and more of the SBS coverage, I grew up watching Cricket listing to Richie Benaud and I am finding Boycs and Atherton quite good too.

I think Bob Willis will put me to sleep soon and I am not enjoying Lehmann so far.

So I have it SBS 1-0 up and soon to be 2-0.

Swervy

International Captain
archie mac said:
Which commentary team is in front?

In Australia we have a choice between SBS which has the Channel 4 team, led by Richie Benaud. And Foxtel which has Sky (I think) coverage led by Both.

I find myself watching more and more of the SBS coverage, I grew up watching Cricket listing to Richie Benaud and I am finding Boycs and Atherton quite good too.

I think Bob Willis will put me to sleep soon and I am not enjoying Lehmann so far.

So I have it SBS 1-0 up and soon to be 2-0.
Channel 4 coverage is so much better than Skys...2-0

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Easily the Channel 4 coverage. Richie, Tony, Boycott (gold, imo), Slater, Atherton are all quality. Plus Im quite enjoying this analyst thing with Simon Hughes.

Lehmann is a plodder, kind of just dribbles on and on.. not unlike most of the Sky team, I guess. Brendon Julian and co. dont provide for much excitment either.

archie mac

International Coach
Linda said:
Easily the Channel 4 coverage. Richie, Tony, Boycott (gold, imo), Slater, Atherton are all quality. Plus Im quite enjoying this analyst thing with Simon Hughes.

Lehmann is a plodder, kind of just dribbles on and on.. not unlike most of the Sky team, I guess. Brendon Julian and co. dont provide for much excitment either.
Yes I forgot about Simon Hughes I am enjoying that part of the coverage as well. Even Greigy is doing okay, his story about Boycott and KevinP was classic Boycs
:D

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Channel 4 ... however, it is quite annoying when they don't always have the score up

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ch4 for me too. I hope that when tests decamp to Sky next year that Rupe cherry-picks the cream of their commentary, starting with Richie! Although Ch5 has the rights to the highlights tho, so I guess they will need a few commetators too. Unless, of course, they go for the cheap & cheerful option & just use Sky's, which is actually a fair bet knowing 5....

Anyone non-plussed with Lehmann maybe pleased to know that Sky is shoring up their team with Greg Blewett at his expense from the 3rd test onwards.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Channel 4 definitely. In the first test, watching here in Australia, it was quite funny how whenever the cricket was on on SBS I'd tune in to that, and then when the Tour De France was played I'd switch to Foxtel for the Sky Coverage. I can imagine the people watching the ratings, and how Foxtel's would go up for a couple of hours when the Tour was on, and then when it ended SBS' would pick up again.

Linda

Jono said:
Channel 4 definitely. In the first test, watching here in Australia, it was quite funny how whenever the cricket was on on SBS I'd tune in to that, and then when the Tour De France was played I'd switch to Foxtel for the Sky Coverage. I can imagine the people watching the ratings, and how Foxtel's would go up for a couple of hours when the Tour was on, and then when it ended SBS' would pick up again.
Have you seen some of Allan Border's work? He is so negative and unhappy... At least when you watch SBS, you get some genuine excitement/dissapointment/English pessimism from the British bloke, etc.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
AB's boring, so is Mark Waugh. BJ and Damien Fleming is the best combo on Fox

Dasa

Channel 4, although sports-active on Sky (Foxtel) can come in handy.

Shounak

Banned
For the aussies here..

Does anyone know who the bloke with Dean Jones and Greg Matthews is on SBS? The pommy guy..

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i have no idea who that pommy guy is, all i know is that he usually covers the soccer.

I would love to see Channel 4 get Kerry O'Keefe on to commentate... hes got to be one of the funniest people around and he knows his cricket..

King_Ponting

International Regular
Yeh i like the commentary from channel 4 however i do not like the format. Ie MPH bowling speeds and no KPH, sky had both.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
The Sky Bar is much better than C4's thing in the corner

The pommie bloke is Simon Hill, soccer (or football rather) commentator

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Channel 4 / SBS in Australia

Any team with Richie has to be good. And the bias from some of the Pommy commentators is starting to be genuinely humorous, so I like it.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
C4 for commentary. Fox Sports Active is a nice feature but I don't actually find it very useful at all. Usually only use it if i've missed a few wickets.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The channel 4 commentry is now very good with Benuab and Athers. Now they have got rid dermot reeve due too his little cocaine problem and replaced him with the brilliant Tony grieg is an excellent team. Boycott is even entertaining even if i dont reallylike him

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Channel 4 lost a bit of credibility today when Shane Warne was out and they said he was bowled. Then about five minutes later Mark Nicholas suddenly realised what really happened and said "I don't think anyone noticed that". Well I knew what had happened when I first saw it because the ball was obviously gone by the time the stumps were disturbed. If I saw it then I'm sure many people on both sides of the hemisphere also saw it.