• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Battle is Close, But...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Younger people today should just be grateful they get to see Test Cricket from all over the world. Before 1990 all we ever had in the UK were highlights from Ashes series and the occasional newsclip from elsewhere. England had one of their greatest Test wins in the West Indies in 1974 and I've never seen any of it. The only thing they ever showed from that tour was the Tony Greig-Alvin Kallicharran run out incident. If we'd had live coverage in those days I wouldn't have cared if Michael Fish was commentating.

zinzan12 said:
Overall the Sky coverage is tedious.I do like Hussian and can tolerate Botham and Lloyd but Holding and Lehman are boring and Bob Willis must be the most unappealing commentator i've heard in ANY sport.
Hussain is flat out awful.

By far the worst commentator on either station.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shane Warne said:

He's an idiot, but not as bad a commentator as Willis. Both have horrible southern accents which go straight through me.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Warne said:

Hussain is much better than Holding IMO. Holding adds nothing, except a different accent.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Lillian Thomson said:
Younger people today should just be grateful they get to see Test Cricket from all over the world. Before 1990 all we ever had in the UK were highlights from Ashes series and the occasional newsclip from elsewhere. England had one of their greatest Test wins in the West Indies in 1974 and I've never seen any of it. The only thing they ever showed from that tour was the Tony Greig-Alvin Kallicharran run out incident. If we'd had live coverage in those days I wouldn't have cared if Michael Fish was commentating.
From next year there will only be highlights on Channel 5 for those who cannot afford/will not succumb to, the Murdoch empire. A lot of the country still can't even receive Ch 5 ffs, on analogue, which will be turned off in 2012, for good.

It's a f**king disgrace.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pedro Delgado said:
From next year there will only be highlights on Channel 5 for those who cannot afford/will not succumb to, the Murdoch empire. A lot of the country still can't even receive Ch 5 ffs, on analogue, which will be turned off in 2012, for good.

It's a f**king disgrace.
Its evolution.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Terrestial television have only got themselves to blame for losing coverage. The BBC coverage was appalling. When Graham Gooch made his triple century against India the BBC didn't show it live because they were showing racing. Similarly if another major event was on like Wimbledon they would share coverage and you would often miss the best action. On Sky you see every ball. Channel 4 also share their coverage with racing and then switch the Cricket to their FILM Channel which is only available via digital TV.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lillian Thomson said:
Terrestial television have only got themselves to blame for losing coverage. The BBC coverage was appalling. When Graham Gooch made his triple century against India the BBC didn't show it live because they were showing racing. Similarly if another major event was on like Wimbledon they would share coverage and you would often miss the best action. On Sky you see every ball. Channel 4 also share their coverage with racing and then switch the Cricket to their FILM Channel which is only available via digital TV.
Dead right, bunch of cheapskates.

Watching decent live sport coverage nowadays is a privilege you have to pay for, not a right. That's the way of the world. If you want 'free' TV, then it's 'Big Brother' for you (shudder).

Blaze

Banned
We in NZ have just switched for the 3rd test from Sky to Channel 4 and IMO there is no comparison. Channel 4 is outstanding

archie mac

International Coach
Not having added up the responses, it would seem channel 4 wins hands down, I did not even bother watching any of the Sky coverage last night, just not impressed.

Hanuma

School Boy/Girl Captain
10 years time and there will be no argument a everyone will have access to skysports.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We only get the Sky Sports coverage. Shame one of the other sports networks cannot secure a deal with Ch 4 and get their coverage too. From where I am sitting, I think Richie, Boycs, Greigy, Slats, Athers, Simon Hughes > Willis, Hussain, Blewett, Gower, Allott. Lloyd..