• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Afro-Asian Cup

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
The utter stupidity of the tournament was to schedule it in the off-season - basically in the winter - the equivalent of playing it in England in February. The spectators voted with their feet, and the only people who made anything out of the tournament were Dulux who got to paint the grass.

Knowing the ICC, they'll schedule next year's event for Mumbai in the middle of the monsoon season.
Plus, South Africa were playing Test rugby.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Do you guys think perhaps a Twenty20 series would have drawn better crowds and thus generated more money?
I think if they'd played cricket in their (South Africa's) cricket season it might have helped

Deja moo

International Captain
hahaha....trust Zaheer to finally get his act together after being dropped from the Indian team.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
yeah, but I get the feeling that it was already packed as it is.
So at the end of the day, what was the point?

I'd love one day to have the opportunity of meeting one of these ICC Mandarins. I'd have a pal of mine in tow (suitably primed) and introduce him to Mani or Speed or one of the other crackpots as a pal of Krakin Slypkatch's, saying "and do you know Yurasfrum Urelbo?"

dinu23

International Debutant
I think this series is good. It's for the development of African cricket. I hope it continues.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
dinu23 said:
I think this series is good. It's for the development of African cricket. I hope it continues.
Yeah but next time the series should be held when both teams are full side and countries are forced to release their best players. Also it should be held in better weather conditions certainly not in the middle of the African winter

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think it would be almost impossible to schedule in season, because it would have to be a period when 6 Test sides are not playing - and that would cause major disruptions to proper cricket for what is a meaningless waste of everyone's time.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I think it would be almost impossible to schedule in season, because it would have to be a period when 6 Test sides are not playing - and that would cause major disruptions to proper cricket for what is a meaningless waste of everyone's time.
Neutral venue then - or better still, why wasn't it played in Kenya? That strikes me as an eminently sensible venue for such a contest given the ICC's desire to give the game a leg-up there.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Yeah I guess Kenya or some cricket developing nation in asia e.g Hong Kong would have been a good location. This would have given exposure to the game somewhere where the people would apprecitate it more. South Africa does not need cricket exposure as it already has a good side.