• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

weird dismissals

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
Nope refer to law 36. b i think. under caught. It is a fair dismissal as long as it hasnt hit the helmet of a feilder.
Once again, let your Uncle Eddie sort it out

Law 23 (Dead ball)
1. Ball is dead
(a) The ball becomes dead when
(i) it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or the bowler.
(ii) a boundary is scored. See Law 19.3 (Scoring a boundary).
(iii) a batsman is dismissed.
(iv) whether played or not it becomes trapped between the bat and person of a batsman or between items of his clothing or equipment.
(v) whether played or not it lodges in the clothing or equipment of a batsman or the clothing of an umpire.
(vi) it lodges in a protective helmet worn by a member of the fielding side.
(vii) there is a contravention of either of Laws 41.2 (Fielding the ball) or 41.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).
(viii) there is an award of penalty runs under Law 2.6 (Player returning without permission).
(ix) Lost ball is called. See Law 20 (Lost ball).
(x) the umpire calls Over or Time.

(b) The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the umpire at the bowler's end that the fielding side and both batsmen at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

See point (v)

Langeveldt

Soutie
I remember playing cricket when I was really young, I took a single and my bat hit the stumps when I was in at the non strikers end on completing the run..

Was given out Run out (batsman)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I assume we're talking genuinely strange rather than contentious. In 2001 in Sri Lanka Marcus Trescothic swept a ball off the middle of the bat and it hit the short leg fielder and stuck in his jumper.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
shaka said:
Adam Parore hit on helmet, he ducked down, helmet came off and hit the stumps (I think), that was quite a weird dismissal
Yeah, that came to mind as soon as i looked at the title of the thread.

1999-2000 touring Australians. Lee bowled a bouncer, Parore missed seeing it completely and it hit the side of his helmet. It fell off and hit the stumps. According to his biography, while Parore was dazed, Lee ran right up infront of him, got down on one knee, pointed to the stands and yelled, ".......off ".

Quite a dismissal. In every sense of the word.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
Yeah so much fairer when Aleem Dar was "bowing to the weight of pressure" on Warnes numerous plumb LBW appeals at Lords.
"numerous"?

Please provide us with examples of these numerous decision.

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
Tendulkar's HBW (Head Before Wicket) in australia. :)
Which proves the point that there is no point in ducking in the latter stages of a Test match at Adelaide. If he had stayed where he was he could have easily pulled it for some runs.

Craig

World Traveller
AndrewM said:
Yeah, that came to mind as soon as i looked at the title of the thread.

1999-2000 touring Australians. Lee bowled a bouncer, Parore missed seeing it completely and it hit the side of his helmet. It fell off and hit the stumps. According to his biography, while Parore was dazed, Lee ran right up infront of him, got down on one knee, pointed to the stands and yelled, ".......off ".

Quite a dismissal. In every sense of the word.
And those idiots at Carisbrook thinking that playing up would make the umpire change his mind. And didn't the umpires get it right anyway since it came off his wrist?

King_Ponting

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Once again, let your Uncle Eddie sort it out

Law 23 (Dead ball)
1. Ball is dead
(a) The ball becomes dead when
(i) it is finally settled in the hands of the wicket-keeper or the bowler.
(ii) a boundary is scored. See Law 19.3 (Scoring a boundary).
(iii) a batsman is dismissed.
(iv) whether played or not it becomes trapped between the bat and person of a batsman or between items of his clothing or equipment.
(v) whether played or not it lodges in the clothing or equipment of a batsman or the clothing of an umpire.
(vi) it lodges in a protective helmet worn by a member of the fielding side.
(vii) there is a contravention of either of Laws 41.2 (Fielding the ball) or 41.3 (Protective helmets belonging to the fielding side).
(viii) there is an award of penalty runs under Law 2.6 (Player returning without permission).
(ix) Lost ball is called. See Law 20 (Lost ball).
(x) the umpire calls Over or Time.

(b) The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the umpire at the bowler's end that the fielding side and both batsmen at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

See point (v)

Quite right law 36 b refers to the fact that the ball becomes lodged in the keepers pads. Which is a lawful dismissal

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Got given out LBW for padding up to a spinner pitching outside leg ... not happy Jan

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, could never hit mulligrubbers in Under 8s ... got bowled quite a few times

Shounak

Banned
luckyeddie said:
I think Warney's kicking the stumps over at Edgbaston 2005 was pretty strange
Wonder if a few extra zero's got added to his bank balance right after that...

chalky

International Debutant
Mark Waugh knocking the stumps over with his bat against South Africa at Sydney I think. Wait that was given not out should be in a wierdest decisions thread I suppose. Still don't know how the umps could give that not out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chalky said:
Mark Waugh knocking the stumps over with his bat against South Africa at Sydney I think. Wait that was given not out should be in a wierdest decisions thread I suppose. Still don't know how the umps could give that not out.
I believe that by the rules (at the time,anyways) it was technically not out, as you could only be given out hit wicket during the playing of a shot, or running between wickets, and he was doing neither - from memory, he'd been hit by a ball and was walking out towards square leg. Still mighty fortunate, mind you, but one of those ones where either way it's probably a fair enough call.

EDIT: Pretty sure it was in Adelaide, too - not Sydney.

King_Ponting

International Regular
vic_orthdox said:
I believe that by the rules (at the time,anyways) it was technically not out, as you could only be given out hit wicket during the playing of a shot, or running between wickets, and he was doing neither - from memory, he'd been hit by a ball and was walking out towards square leg. Still mighty fortunate, mind you, but one of those ones where either way it's probably a fair enough call.

EDIT: Pretty sure it was in Adelaide, too - not Sydney.
After the ball had hit him about 10 seonds later he knocked the stumps down for no apparent reason. One wonders whether a certain bookmaker had waugh to "accidently" get out hit wicket.