• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breese, Chanderpaul and Sarwan as West Indies Cricketers

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Based on Gareth Breese's performances for Durham I believe he now warrants a recall to the West Indies team. He provides some variety with his spin and is pretty handy with the bat. He's certainly much more Test level than any other spinner currently available to the West Indies. Also, I feel that Ramnaresh Sarwan should be appointed captain (if and when the whole fiasco blows over). He's pretty much assured a spot in the team and looked pretty good in charge against Bangladesh. Looked a good prospect for captain then. Don't know why he was demoted from his vice-captaincy. Shiv Chanderpaul I think should be the vice captain. Not sure he fits into the captain role. Not saying he's bad at it but I don't think he will anything of note that will improve the team's fortunes in his current role. What are your views?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Breese can get a recall now he plays for Durham as a non-overseas player

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
I don't think Breese can get a recall now he plays for Durham as a non-overseas player
Not necessarily so - he probably qualifies as a non-overseas based upon residential criteria - that won't affect his eligibility for the Windies..

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
roseboy64 said:
Based on Gareth Breese's performances for Durham I believe he now warrants a recall to the West Indies team. He provides some variety with his spin and is pretty handy with the bat. He's certainly much more Test level than any other spinner currently available to the West Indies. Also, I feel that Ramnaresh Sarwan should be appointed captain (if and when the whole fiasco blows over). He's pretty much assured a spot in the team and looked pretty good in charge against Bangladesh. Looked a good prospect for captain then. Don't know why he was demoted from his vice-captaincy. Shiv Chanderpaul I think should be the vice captain. Not sure he fits into the captain role. Not saying he's bad at it but I don't think he will anything of note that will improve the team's fortunes in his current role. What are your views?
Division Two in England = possibly the easiest place in the world to get cheap wickets, bar Premier League competition in Sri Lanka and the Zimbok and Bangla domestic competitions.

In fact, Gareth already has played one Test: 31.2-3-135-2, on a spinners' track in India. Stick to Omari Banks and Dave Mohammed - at least they can learn...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He has a British passport according to Cricinfo.

Also it's not fair to judge a player on one Test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yea i agree that Breese should be considered again, but i dont know if he is that better than banks.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Division Two in England = possibly the easiest place in the world to get cheap wickets, bar Premier League competition in Sri Lanka and the Zimbok and Bangla domestic competitions.
completely disagree, the standard of batsmen in the second division is the highest its been for years.

Don

State Vice-Captain
chanderpaul till he is dead.ok back from tiger land. let sarwan be vice captain for the next series.let him then take over from chanders.then promote denesh to vc and well be good to go in that area.as for the spinners.breese i think not.mohammed and banks yes get em into the same team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Breese does nothing with the ball to suggest he'd be a threat as a frontline spinner. He's not a good enough batsman or bowler to play ahead of Bravo as the allrounder. No room for him.

Sarwan I believe would make a good captain and it would help his personal game. That said, I don't see the wisdom in sacking Chanders from the role at this stage. He's worked with our C side in Sri Lanka and there are positives coming through.