• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which doosra was better?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Showed that Sarwan didn't in the time the study was done.
If Sarwan has never flexed his elbow in delivery I'll eat my computer.
There is no reason Sarwan should do something no-one else has ever done.
You never eat your computer whatever the results of the claim :D

C_C

International Captain
Please explain such a statement made by you with proper evidence.

1. Biomechanical fact ( it is afterall a complex lever system) shows that unless you have a really one-in-a-billion physiology, it is impossible to bowl a delivery with zero flexion in the elbows.

2. Of every single bowler investigated- which comprises almost all test bowlers and several bowlers of the past generations, only Sarwan was found to have a flexion below the error range of the measurements ( +/- 1 degree) and bear in mind that this test isnt one instantaneous delivery test but rather, a test of several deliveries, measuring the mean, standard deviation, max. flexion and min. flexion of a given bowler over several deliveries.

Therefore, unless you wanna make your case on one dude ( who can be said not to chuck only on a technicality going by the old rules of if you flex = chuck) balanced against dozens upon dozens of bowlers, it would make a very flimsy case indeed.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Richard said:
Eh? It was the experts who proved the old ideals false - they found that all bowlers flex elbows in delivery.
It's false in fact - people used to believe that all bowlers bowled with 100% straight elbows. Now we know no-one does.
Sorry, I thought you called the new findings as false. Really sorry, juz got confused.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
No delivery Richard?

Please explain such a statement made by you with proper evidence.
It has been found with certainty that all bowlers studied (about 100 IIRR) never obey the old ideals.
As such no delivery can be purveyed time after time legally (I don't think anyone has shown it to be impossible to bowl without flexing your elbow).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
Warnie's wrong'un should be illegal; every time he bowls it, it's usually criminally bad.

:D
Didn't it used to be much better before his shoulder op? (As didn't his Flipper used to be better before his finger op?)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Sorry, I thought you called the new findings as false. Really sorry, juz got confused.
Nay problemo.
Nope, I'm one of those who's welcomed the new findings with open arms, nothing I love more than seeing false ideals smashed (not claiming I always believed them false - but the number of times I saw bowlers who I thought "his arm's not straight - no way" does stack-up when I think about it).