• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which doosra was better?

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
My favourite doosra is one performed within the intended spirit of the game. And it appears that no doosra is possible without unreasonable levels of flexion.

I don't care what those over-paid biochemists say, anyone that appears to the naked eye to throw must therefore be breaching the rules.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Will Scarlet said:
My favourite doosra is one performed within the intended spirit of the game. And it appears that no doosra is possible without unreasonable levels of flexion.

I don't care what those over-paid biochemists say, anyone that appears to the naked eye to throw must therefore be breaching the rules.
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/

The human eye is fallible.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For one, they're biomechanists. HUGE difference. Massive.

For two, I used to be a scientist and it ain't the highest-paid profession in this country.

For three, I bet I could bowl a ball breaching the 15 degree mark and you wouldn't be able to pick it with your naked eye.

C_C

International Captain
Will Scarlet said:

Correction.
No BOWLING is possible without flexion...ofcourse, what is unreasonable is up for debate...dont see why McGrath's 11 degree flexion is reasonable but Murali's 13 degree isnt.

And you dont care what biomechanists say ?

Thats like saying when it comes to cars, you dont care what the mechanic/mechanical engineer has to say.

And naked eye can be deceived. Just ask the bedouins the next time yer in the desert. Else you'll die chasing a mirage, trusting your naked eye over reality.

C_C

International Captain
King_Ponting said:
Yep i'd have to agree with u there... Murali does have the best thrown doosra in world cricket
Just like how Warney has the best thrown legspinner in the world today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Muralitharan's Doosra is a totally different ball to those of Saqlain and Harbhajan, and presumably of Prasanna and Ramadhin.
Whether Saqlain in "rediscovering" (rather than inventing) the Doosra copied Prasanna or used his own intuitive would be fascinating to know.
Oh, and anyone who thinks the Doosra "cannot be purveyed legally" should remember that no delivery can be purveyed legally by the old, false, ideals.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will Scarlet said:
One of the most utterly absurd comments ever made.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
ICC study showed that every single bowler barring Sarwan flexed the elbow
Showed that Sarwan didn't in the time the study was done.
If Sarwan has never flexed his elbow in delivery I'll eat my computer.
There is no reason Sarwan should do something no-one else has ever done.

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
Showed that Sarwan didn't in the time the study was done.
If Sarwan has never flexed his elbow in delivery I'll eat my computer.
There is no reason Sarwan should do something no-one else has ever done.

There are always those who defy the common rules - Einstien was one such character.
Gandhi was another.

Your elbow flexion is not controllable - atleast not if you arnt delibaretely chucking. Several bowlers were found to have some flexion in their elbows when the test was done-some as little as 5 degrees. If you take a look at your protractor, you'd see that 5 degrees is so small that it is highly unlikely to be controllable by human beings while undergoing a rigorous thing like bowling.
Unless Sarwan's physiology changes or bowling style changes dramatically, he is NOT a chucker and cannot be considered a chucker.
As per no one else has ever done claim- that is disputable. The ICC didnt exactly study every single bowler in the history of this game but almost all the current bowlers and several bowlers of the bygone eras.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, all right, all bowlers at the current time.
Heaven knows, I've said countless times that rules with no exception are rare - but I just cannot see that Sarwan bowls every delivery, all the time, with no flexation while everyone else studied does. What annoys me most is that people always come back to him and say he's the only one obeying the old ideals, when the highest chances are he isn't and no-one has ever said he is.
And BTW - you don't need to tell me that 5 degrees is little or nothing - I'm very much an advocate of the updated ideals.

C_C

International Captain
no-one has ever said he is.
Well no one has categorically said so but the data implies as much without an outright statement - whenever, in a scientific experiment, the data falls within the margin of error, it is deemed acceptable in its entirity - Sarwan's flexion was around 1 degree and the margin of error was 1 degree. Therefore, scientifically speaking, since his flexion fell within the error range, one can claim that there is no flexion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
All they ever said was it did so within the time studied. Unless I'm very much mistaken they did not say they've studied every Sarwan delivery bowled in Tests and ODIs?